lap-band and pregnancy ?

angcolon
on 3/17/12 7:20 am - waters edge, CT

Hi, I am 5  years post-op with my band n am doing my first IVF cycle in April. I have a couple of questions.

My band is at 3 ccs,will I have to empty it before my IVF or can I wait till a positive pregnancy test?
Has anyone had issues with port pain?
How does your port site look as you get further along your pregnancy?
How soon after delivery can you get a band adjustment?

I am waitting for a call back from my surgeon to get an answer to the many questions I have.
Frustrated with the time its taking to get a call back.

Thanks,
Ang
tamiissunshine
on 3/17/12 12:19 pm - Halsey, OR
If your band is tight at 3 cc's then you might want some fluid taken out, otherwise you'll probably be fine. I kept a tight fill with my first band pregnancy and towards the end when everything was squished it was hard to keep things down but I think it helped me keep my weight in check better. This time, my band is looser and once in a while I feel something taking its time going down, but nothing coming back up. I've gained more than I would have liked but nothing too extreme. It's really up to how your body handles pregnancy too, hormones can do weird things to the band but you might not have too many issues so I personally would wait and see what happens. Good luck with your IVF!!!
Tami   "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me!" Philippians 4:13
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Dev *.
on 3/19/12 1:43 am - Austin, TX
Unless you are really tight, there's not really any need to unfill your band just because you're pregnant. With my first band baby, I had a lot of morning sickness, so we took a little out at about 8 weeks and then put it back in once I wasn't nauseated all the time, around 14 weeks. This time I started out with a little looser fill, so I haven't had anything removed. Usually things seem tighter by the end of the pregnancy, due to fluid retention and the fact that all of your internal organs are being squished, so if you feel that you're a bit tight now you might want to have some removed when you're pregnant or sometime in the first trimester.
I do remember having some port discomfort as things stretched out thje first time, but it seems to be a lot less this time around. Once I get pretty big, there's a subtle bump where my port is, but mostly I'm the only one that notices. It depends how thin you are now, if it already shows now it will probably show more.
I don't see any reason why you couldn't get a fill as soon as you wanted after delivery, but if you don't have the band emptied, you may not need one anyway.

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1239 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 861 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1323 views