Hydration in Third Trimester

clairesmom13
on 4/10/12 10:28 pm - OR
ok, this may be something that none of you have experienced...and may not even be related to my bypass....but since I find it ODD I'm going to see if maybe it could be a bypass thing.

SoI had a really stressful encounter with my dad who I threw out of my house because he's an alchoholic and I don't want him around. Anyway, I'm 31 weeks and it threw me in to some mild contractions so I went to the hospital. They hooked me up for observation and kept me over night. The contractions fizzeled out and I was doing fine (so I thought)

Anyway, just when I was ready to go home the next morning the doctor came back in and decided to keep me longer for further testing. He said the ultrasound I had showed low amniotic fluid...still in the normal range but on the low end and he wanted to re hydrate me and send me for another ultrasound later in the day to check things out.

So, that is what I did! I hydrated orally and even asked for an IV (since I can't drink like a fish anymoree with a tiny tummy)

The WEIRD thing is that I really didn't think I was dehydrated. I wasn't super thirsty...I've been peeing regularly (ok more than that with a baby on my bladder) and my urine has been clearish yellow (usually a good sign of hydration in my book) but for babys sake I did what I was told.

The ultrasound later in the day showed my amniotic fluids up and that baby was still doing well and I got to go home. We had dinner and came home. I went to bed last night around 9pm took my meds (which none of them make me dry out) and by 3am I wake up to pee and my urine is dark. What the heck? So I've been awake ever since rehydrating.

I may be over-reacting, but with my first daughter 6 years ago I was in the hospital for days with low amniotic fluid....went home and two days later my water broke and I had a baby four weeks early. She was fine, but this baby isn't as far along.

I'm wondering if maybe it has to do with my bypass why I'm not retaining the water? why I'm peeing it out? I don't really know honestly. I know dehydration is one of the top causes for pre term labor.....kind of scary. Especially when I really am doing my job and drinking my butt off.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Jen
Brooklynnsmom
on 4/10/12 11:30 pm - Bellevue, NE
I don't think it has anything to do with the bypass that you are not retaining water--I think it is a matter of you not being able to drink a lot at one time.  I noticed a lot more charlie horses at night with my two post-op babies (caused by not drinking enough water!)  than I did with my first daughter.  The key to the hydration is to basically be constantly be drinking, drinking, drinking!  Especially with the warmer weather coming on this summer.  I had my last 2 babies in June / July.  It was hard to keep my fluids up when you can't drink a lot at one time. 

Good luck!

Debbie
clairesmom13
on 4/10/12 11:39 pm - OR
Thank you! I think you may be right. I will call my doctor this morning and ask what I should do. Sadly I can't drink AND sleep at the same time ;)
Paula622
on 4/11/12 5:25 am
Gatorade!  This was the only thing that would stop my BH contractions during the end of my pregnancy.  It hydrates so much better than jus****er.  I always felt bad about the calories (can't stand the taste of G2), but finally convinced myself that this is just not the time to worry about calories.  Good luck!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

clairesmom13
on 4/11/12 6:16 am - OR
 Good plan I'm going to go get some... I stopped drinking it since I drank so much of the stuff post op lol 
I want to add that I talked to my doctors office this morning and we think we have figured out a sort of solution to the problem... So if anyone goes through this post later can maybe get some answers. I've really slacked on what I'm eating... And have been eating more carbs than usual because it's what my pregnant butt would rather eat. My wonderful nurse at my doctors office told me... Without knowing I've been sucking at the whole eating thing... That not only drinking builds amniotic fluid... But so does proteins. So I've been ordered to drink protein shakes every 3-4 hours if I can... For me it's a bit more frequent because I cannot do whey or the isolate... I only stomach soy and vegan proteins... I've not tried egg proteins yet but anyway. So... It seems that since I have a history of this happening And I've not put on but 20 lb with this baby... I need to get more protein and be drinking like a fish. 

I hope it works... Dehydration and low amniotic fluid contributes to a lot of pre term labor... Which I would like to avoid. Trying to keep this baby in full term! 
amystimetoshine
on 4/17/12 1:27 am - Pleasant Hill, CA
I I just wanted to say I am in pretty much the exact same boat.  I am 31 weeks, spent Saturday in L&D with contractions 5 min apart.  My cervix hadn't changed much, but they gave me 2 liters of IV fluids and the contractions decreased.  My issue is severe reflux after a sleeve.  I keep getting dehydrated and my uterus gets "irritable."  I have to go see my perinatologist this AM.  Until I was 5 months along I went in regularly to the infusion clinic for IV fluid a cpl times a week.  Then I was doing better holding stuff down until the past 3 weeks.  My baby is VERY high and I think the pressure up against my tiny tummy when I already have reflux and hyperemesis ISN'T helping.  My fluid was on the low side of normal this weekend.  I will see what they say today.  Good luck!!!   Amy

HW 319   SW  277  CW 180  GW 169
amystimetoshine
on 4/17/12 1:31 am - Pleasant Hill, CA
Oh -- also wanted to add I have had the same protein issues ---  I can eat some protein but at the expense of hydration..   I need to figure out some protein shakes as well (2 birds 1 stone LOL)  I just way over dosed on them post op because of my complications and inability to eat for quite awhile so I feel queasy just thinking about it!!!   I will try that today...  Maybe if I make them thin and only small amounts at a time it will "add up" over the day!   Good luck!!!   Amy

HW 319   SW  277  CW 180  GW 169
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1265 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 872 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1342 views