Really confused

megaflu
on 4/20/12 9:46 am - Bedford, PA
I'm a fairly common lurker on the RNY boards, but not a very active poster.  I just got the big news this past week I'm going to by a new mom.  I'm a year and a half out post-RNY.  I called my surgeon but they said I don't need to see them until my 2 year follow-up in Sept. 
I've switched my vitamins over to the Walmart brand prenatal, but I'm not sure how many to take since the malabsorbsortion factors.  Also any recommendations on how many calories I need to take in a day.  I'll admit I don't have much of an appetite but I'm trying to make sure I get some fruits, veggies and some protein in several times a day.  Sorry for rambling, just worried...
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
(deactivated member)
on 4/21/12 8:25 am - Woodbridge, VA
First, congratulations!

For the prenatals, I would say start with double whatever the normal dosage is on the bottle. If the bottle says to take 1, I would take 2. I didn't switch to a prenatal, just kept taking my regular multivitamin, but I did take 2 per day in addition to continuing my other supplements (calcium, iron, vitamin C, zinc, B12, vitamin D, and probiotics).

I never counted calories and don't personally recommend it. If your body needs you to eat more, you'll feel more hungry. I assume you're very early in your pregnancy, and the body doesn't need very many (if any) more calories than normal during the first trimester. Throughout my pregnancy, I ate when I was hungry and never counted anything. The baby will take what it needs from you, so keep up with having comprehensive labs run regularly to monitor YOUR nutritional status, and adjust diet and supplementation accordingly as needed. My protein dipped low during my second trimester, so I added some protein shakes back in (had cut them out when I found out I was pregnant because I was avoiding artificial sweeteners).

Just 4 weeks ago today, I delivered a perfectlly healthy baby boy at 7 pounds 11 ounces - remarkably normal in every way  :)
megaflu
on 4/22/12 12:32 am - Bedford, PA
Thank you so much. 

The prenatal say 1 a day so I upped them to 2 for now.  I mainly switched to them since my regular multivitamin didn't have much folic acid and I found myself spending a large part of my afternoons working on cracking and eating sunflower seeds, and that was before we found out.  I guess that makes sense now since they are higher in folic acid.  I am early out, only at 6 weeks so far and at least more calm now.   At this point I will continue to listen to my body, and make sure I at least get my protein in for now. 

Thank you again, and congratulations on your new addition :)
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
RachelRaye
on 4/22/12 9:38 pm
Congratulations and thanks for sharing!
laurawilson25
on 5/12/12 11:52 am - Groves, TX
 I stayed with my regular vitamin schedule while pregnant. We were trying to conceive, so I was already supplementing with folic acid. The pre-natals my doctor's office recommended weren't nearly as good as what I was already taking, I upped my iron when I showed up a little anemic. Hopefully that will keep most of the deficiencies in check.

Amelia born full term May 15, 2012. 7 lbs, 2 oz. 11 lbs left to lose to make pre-baby weight.

And what does the LORD require of you?; To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. 
Micah 6:8  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1254 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 866 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1331 views