Complications in Pregnancy??

tuckergirl
on 5/10/12 12:06 pm - Canada
Hi! :)
I'm 23 weeks pregnant and 8 months post VSG.

I'm curious if any of you have dealt with LOW blood pressure (90/62 today) and/or a lack of Vitamin D?  I'm dealing with BOTH of these and probably needing to go off of work early because of them.

I am going to intake more vitamins - though they had orignally told me to only take my prenatal vitamin but with the VSG I was sure I would show up as deficient with something.

But the Low Blood Pressure worries me as I've been passing out.  I don't think it has anything to do with the surgery, but still scares me and makes me wonder.

If you have any advice, I'd LOVE it!

Also, I know this is crazy - but I would highly recommend to anyone who's just had surgery to WAIT LONGER to get pregnant.  I don't regret this pregnancy for a moment, but wish I could have gotten to "know" the way my new body works before I jumped into pregnancy.

Thanks everyone!  xoxo
Ticker id: tnRU

Ticker id: Qtad

Ticker id: tnRU

MeliT
on 5/10/12 1:33 pm - Miami, FL
congrats on your pregnancy first of all :)

i don't know about the low blood pressure. i've never had that before. but as far as vitamins (i had the sleeve too) you should definitely be taking more than a prenatal. does your doc know you had surgery? i've been on multivitamin, iron, b12 since surgery a year and a half ago. i replaced the multi with the prenatal but continued with the others. also i started taking vitamin d since before i even thought about surgery. my reproductive endocrinologist put me on vit d because my levels are so low. i don't get a lot of sun. and vit d is important for women, especially pregnant women. so between my prenatals (which is 2 pill bc of DHA), b12, iron, and vitamin d i take about 6 pills a day. the only one that really i wish i could stop taking is iron. i'm really not a fan of iron. yuck. in fact i had my bloodwork done recently to see how my levels were and if i could stop taking any pills and it turns out all my levels are good so i have to keep it up. the only thing was my vit d was low. and i take 2000mg a day. so i have to double that. which i don't mind bc vit is small and easy to take. so its pretty common esepecially for pregnant women to need more vit d. definitely do that. and definitely look into b12. you really should be taking a seperate b12 supplement. you may not need iron. but def b12.

hope this helps!!

onlyoneboy
on 5/10/12 11:08 pm - St. Paul Park, MN
I have low blood pressure to begin with and it got lower when I was pregnant.  I used to pump my legs to get the blood flowing before standing up, sit never squat down and drink lots of water.  Good Luck.

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/12 1:39 am - Woodbridge, VA
Low blood pressure during pregnancy is not uncommon. It's often what makes many women feel lightheaded or dizzy or even nauseous at times.

As for the vitamins, my first OB also told me to just take a prenatal. I immediately switched doctors because she obviously was not interested in providing the kind of care I really needed. Throughout my entire pregnancy, I took multivitamins (never switched to prenatals since there is not much difference), calcium, iron, vitamin C, vitamin D, B12, zinc, and probiotics. The only changes I made from my normal vitamin regimen when I found out I was pregnant is I added daily DHA supplements, and I stopped taking my separate vitamin A since it can be teratogenic.

Sure, there is no intestinal malabsorption caused by baypass with the VSG, but there IS still often malabsorption of some nutrients due to decreased stomach surface area and decreased gastric acid. I'm contantly amazed at how many VSG patients don't realize this (not you specifically, but in general).
Paula622
on 5/11/12 4:47 am
My blood pressure was super low during my pregnancy too.  It is typical for it to drop throughout the first and second trimester and then rebound back up a bit in the third (mine stayed low).  I frequently got lightheaded or even felt close to passing out.  Staying well hydrated helped a bit.  I craved a lot of salt during my pregnancy and I honestly felt like it was the only thing keeping my blood pressure in the double digits, lol.  I found that gatorade helped quite a bit.  It was not uncommon for mine to be 90/57.

As for the vites, I took two chewable multivitamins, calcium, and vitamin D.  I just got my labs done yesterday (baby is 6 months and I'm still nursing) so I'm curious to see how things have recovered since the pregnancy.

FYI I also got pregnant 6 months out, I totally know what you mean about getting to know your post-op body.  I actually think I'm pregnant again (just waiting for confirmation) and it is crazy because I've been pregnant or nursing for all but 6 months of my post-op life, this will extend that significantly!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

Ann D.
on 5/14/12 5:10 am - Amelia, OH
FYI, low vitamin D is a woman thing.  MANY pregnant women (not just surgery ladies) get put on Vitamin D.  Mine was at like 15000, when the low end of normal is something like 28000.  
Ann

Mom to Ean after 5 longs years of Infertility....2/29/12!

icon_angel.gif - 3/07                             icon_angel.gif - 12/07                             icon_angel.gif - 3/08 
icon_angel.gif - 5/09                             icon_angel.gif - 11/10                             icon_angel.gif - 2/11
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1290 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 885 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1361 views