Shower advice

Brandi S.
on 6/8/12 6:41 am - TX
So here's our situation...

The person who initially offered to give our baby shower has backed out. So, we are now in the situation of no place to have the shower. We can't do it at our house bc there really isn't enough room. I just told my husband we would buy what we needed and not bother anyone with the whole shower thing. Then another friend of mine found out and insisted that we have a shower since I'm a FTM and we don't have anything. The only problem with that is she lives far away so we can't have it at her house. Her idea was to have it at a restaurant which I was ok with. She then said that I need to pick somewhere inexpensive because people are going to have to pay for their own food. WHAT?!? I find this extremely tacky. If it were me, any money I would have to spend on my own food would definitely come out of that person's gift, if I went at all. I am stuck.. I know we need the gifts but would be ashamed to have a shower where people had to pay for their own food. I am not beyond just buying the bare necessities myself. Should I thank the person who offered but tell her we would really prefer not to have a shower at all?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Sherry-Lynn L.
on 6/8/12 8:57 am - Barrie, Canada
I am having my huge shower this Sunday, 47 guests attending, we had the same issue that no place was big enough or too costly.  What we ended up doing was renting the basement of a church (Donation to the church was the cost) and on our homemade invites we sent out we stated it was a potluck and no one objected in helping out.  I am very involved with the planning of my shower as my Hostess' are very busy with work.  Watch for my update next week and you will see all the homemade crafts and projects we did for our Bumble Bee Theme.....Ba-Bee Shower.  Good Luck

Sherry-Lynn   

DD July 9th, 2012 7lbs 1oz

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/12 8:59 am - Woodbridge, VA
Just find a place other than a restaurant. Do you live in an HOA community that has community buildings you could rent a room in? Do you belong to a church that might have a room you could use? Where I grew up, my family's big annual Christmas party was held in a room at a local firehouse. I've also attended multiple events at places like the local American Legion and the Fish & Game Club. Think beyond restaurants  :)
Nikki M.
on 6/8/12 10:42 am
We are renting a room in a local community center for my shower. It costs $25 per hour and I was going to just pay for it myself, but my sister recently offered to cover that cost as my friend is throwing the shower adn doing all the other stuff. I also thought about the resturaunt idea and felt too bad about people having to buy their own food!
Another thing I thought about was to have it at a park. You can rent sheltered areas at parks through the city usually, or you can find a park that has park benches and get there early as many are first come first serve! you could call it a baby shower picnic and have people bring their own blankets or lawn chairs and then you could provide some picnic style foods. Just get creative! You should have a shower :) Its an experience you won't want to miss!

Lapband 8/2007. Revised to VSG 10/2010.... 170 pounds lost!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

MeliT
on 6/8/12 11:31 am - Miami, FL
 hmmmm thats tough. do you know anyone who lives in a community witha  clubhouse? i've seen lots of ppl have their baby showers there. the only other places i can think of you'll either have to pay (and you actually might have to pay to use the clubhouse too) or other ppl will have to pay.

i say if it becomes too much of a headache don't do it unless you really want to. oooh!! what about a park!?!!! some parks you have to reserve a shelter but some parks are just public parks that have some tables and you could have it there! just keep it simple. 

delightful74
on 6/8/12 12:49 pm - Fairburn, GA
Be creative...if you have to have it at a resturant...have it at breakfast or brunch...it cuts down on the cost. A co-ed shower in someone's backyard (bbq or other theme). Check into a small meeting room at hotel, or subdivisions that have a pool. I hosted a late morning shower poolside. You'd also be surprised places that rent out rooms at nominal costs (libraries, YMCA's, churches, etc.) Good luck & congrats on your first baby!
Dev *.
on 6/11/12 2:50 am - Austin, TX
Also, keep in mind (especially if you have it at a church or other venue) a shower doesn't HAVE to be a huge production complete with a full meal. Have it at a non-lunch time of day and have a few snack*****h and cake.

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

Cannady L.
on 6/20/12 6:34 am

What about non-traditional showers? My husband and I would like to have a co-ed shower, without some of the more traditional (?) or girly party games. (Sorry.) I'm kind of a tomboy, and don't want lots of girly games... lol...

I could use advice eventually about what to do for a winter shower, too... Not due until January. Might rent the local community center, but they don't allow alcohol. And having it in a park would be great if I wasn't due in January!

Hmmm. We might have to go with a restaurant, unless I can find a non-depressing, affordable, indoor location for a shower....
RNY in June of 2006. Lost 100 lbs and maintaining. "Good carb" veggie diet + fish.Fertility issues (due to age) for 3 years. 1 m/c. Tried IUI and IVF. Currently pg and due January 2013. Taking Bariatric Advantage chewable multivitamin, iron, Calcium citrate, dry Vitamin D, and Omega-3 (salmon oil). My avatar is a picture of my Bast statue; Bast is an Egyptian fertility goddess who protects cats and pregnant women. :) 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1258 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 868 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1336 views