Why is it not a good idea to not do the glucola test?

Diana N.
on 6/17/12 9:43 pm - Mechanicsburg, PA
I can't remember...I think I am going to opt for a blood draw, but help!
baby development pregnancy calendar
USAF Wife
on 6/18/12 2:14 am
Even though I do not dump, I refuse to the test. So many of my normal, unaltered guts friends fail that 1 hour test then have to endure the 3 hour test. I had VSG, and do the at home testing for 2 weeks, 4 times a day, fasting then after my 3 largest meals of the day.

I didn't even give my OB an opportunity to argue with me. I consume sugar, but not 75gr in less than 5 minutes. 
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Nikki M.
on 6/18/12 11:41 am
That drink made me projectile vomit! There is just not enough room in our tummy's to chug 10 oz of fluid, one hour after a meal. I ended up having to do the home glucose testing because I refused to try and drink it again. So not fun :(

Lapband 8/2007. Revised to VSG 10/2010.... 170 pounds lost!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

MeliT
on 6/18/12 11:44 am - Miami, FL
 omg i didn't know anything about this!! thank god for this forum because my ignorant self would have just done whatever the doctor told me. you can refuse? the home testing is an option? is it through the doctor or something you get at the drug store?

Nikki M.
on 6/18/12 12:46 pm, edited 6/18/12 12:48 pm
You can refuse to take the test because of your altered stomach. Hopefully your doctor will be understanding.... it seems like some are more than others. I tried to do the test because I thought it would not be a problem because with VSG we don't dump! I didn't really think about the volume issue until later :p
After I puked up the drink and told my doctor I wouldn't do it again, she was a little stumped about what to do. Then she came to her own conclusion that she would order me a glucose testing kit and have me test my glucose at home for a few days. I got the supplies from my pharmacy just like any other prescription. I had to test 4 times a day, fasting, then after meals. My results ended up being borderline for gestational diabetes so I have to keep testing. But I am glad to keep an eye on it.
So basically your results may vary depending on your doctor! In hindsight my doctor made a comment like "yeah, all of my patients that had WLS end up puking" LOL. Oh well!

Lapband 8/2007. Revised to VSG 10/2010.... 170 pounds lost!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

MeliT
on 6/18/12 1:00 pm - Miami, FL
 oh my gosh this is such good info! thank you so much nikki!! gosh. what a nightmare. id much rather take the test at home.

Paula622
on 6/18/12 2:41 pm
Meli, you can refuse anything!  Don't ever let a doctor bully you into something that doesn't feel right!  With my first baby, they wanted to induce me basically for their convenience and I called about two hours before I was supposed to go in and cancelled it.  So glad I did, when my daughter was finally born two weeks later, she was barely 6lbs... can't imagine how small she would have been.  You always have to advocate for yourself and remember they can't "make" you do anything!

As for the glucose test.  I did it with my first pregnancy (pre-wls) and I had such a hard time drinking that gross stuff.  I failed the test by a few points and then had to drink even worse stuff for the 3 hour test.  I have no problem tolerating sweets post-op, but I used my surgery as an "excuse" for my doctor to let me do a different type of test.  He just sent me for a blood draw 2hrs after eating a "normal" breakfast.  So much easier than the test I went through with my first pregnancy!  FYI, I had no GD issues with either pregnancy.

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

MeliT
on 6/18/12 2:46 pm - Miami, FL
 thank you!! i'm such a pushover. it would never even dawn on me that i could refuse anything. thats very empowering. thank you so much!! i'm lucky i have you guys otherwise i would be totally clueless.

USAF Wife
on 6/20/12 1:11 am
My ob wrote a RX for the glucometer and strips for me. I just had a heart to heart with my OB and told him that I felt it was ridiculous to expect me to chug that type of fluid.

I refuse a lot of stuff they want to do to me, and demand a lot more than they offer.

I kept a little log of my 4 times a day levels. It's not necessarily convenient, but I'd much rather have the "best" results over having to chug that horrific fluid.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

MeliT
on 6/20/12 5:59 am - Miami, FL
 does it hurt? the glucometer?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1233 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 858 views
Glucose test