My Post Op Pregnancy Story

careuh
on 11/12/12 1:38 am, edited 11/12/12 1:39 am - Warren, OH

I was only 2 months post op when I got the surprise of a lifetime!  I found out I was pregnant.  I could not believe it because I had  tried and failed for 4 years. I had PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome) and was told it would make it very difficult for me to get pregnant. Well, apparently losing the 60 or so pounds that I had lost between the pre op diet and being 2 months post op cured the PCOS and I was now as fertile as a rabbit!  My surgeon and bariatric nurse did tell me I would become fertile after weight loss surgery but I took it with a grain of salt. I had tried so hard the last 4 years and was even on some fertility meds prior to the decision to have my surgery and nothing worked. I was always disheartened and disappointed with negative after negative.

At first I was worried though, I was only a few short months out of my surgery and still incorporating foods back into my diet.  I didn’t know how this would affect my pregnancy or if I would be able to eat enough. I also wasn’t sure if I had ruined the potential weight loss outcome of the surgery. While you are going through all the pre-op testing and appointments the staff tells you not to get pregnant until about 18 months out of surgery because they have to by text book context. When I met with my surgeon after finding out I was pregnant he reassured me everything would be fine and that they see this happen ALL the time now.  He also told me not to be alarmed because I would continue to lose weight during the pregnancy but as long as my OB is monitoring the baby’s growth and she is gaining weight I could expect a healthy pregnancy. I lost the majority of my weight during my pregnancy and my baby was on target for growth and weight the entire time – actually a few times she was a little on the larger side! I never imagined I would lose so much weight, especially while being pregnant!  I have waited so long for this and it was a blessing in disguise.   I had a VERY easy pregnancy, I never had the morning sickness, I didn't get pre-eclampsia, gestational diabetes, and I didn't swell at all. I felt great my entire pregnancy. I was honestly shocked by how amazing I felt the whole time because from hearing about pregnancy from friends and family members - I fully intended on feeling like poo the whole time! I ended up having to be induced at 39 weeks 6 days because I had low fluid which had nothing to do with my Gastric Bypass. I was in a Pitocin induced labor for 8 hours which was not in my plans because I planned on doing it completely natural, but despite having to be induced I still did it without an epidural or pain meds and I'm so proud of myself for that. I only pushed 3 times and brought my beautiful baby girl into this world! Not bad for a first timer huh?

On October 8, 2012 at 8:30 PM I gave birth to a happy, healthy, beautiful baby girl :) She was 5 lbs. 15.6 oz. and 19 inches long. We named her Shiloh because it means "His gift" and she is the best gift I could've ever received.   My surgery was by far the best thing I ever did because not only did it allow me to achieve my life long dream of becoming a mother but now I am healthy and will be around to watch my little girl grow up. Plus I will be able to keep up with her - chasing her all over the place haha :)   I was 369 lbs last November and here I stand today, a year later & 3 weeks post baby weighing 198 lbs and I've never felt better in my life. I'm truly on cloud nine!

windowsdown
on 11/12/12 1:45 am
RNY on 11/02/10 with

Thank you for sharing your story....your daughter is beautiful!!!!! and you look great too.  When things work out so perfectly you know it was meant to be. 

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/12 1:50 am
Congratulations on your blessing and the weightloss, you look amazing!
Celia S.
on 11/12/12 2:12 am - Grand Junction, CO

Congratulations! Your daughter is SO precious and you look fantastic, Mama! :)

I know all about being scared! I was a little further out when I got pregnant, but not much (only 5.5 mos post op). I haven't lost a TON of weight, but I am currently around 240 and started out the pregnancy at 265. My baby boy has been on track with growth and development the whole time, too. :)

Thank you for sharing your story! I know it would have been helpful to read early in my pregnancy when I was freaking out.

Time_for_Monica
on 11/12/12 10:26 am - Levittown, NY
Congratulations on your surgery and your beautiful baby girl. You look great!

Lilypie - (kDs2) Lilypie - (Ukoq)                            
  Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

LogansMommy
on 11/12/12 8:43 pm - Marietta, GA

I love that you were able to have a baby and your dreams came true.

WLS does not cure PCOS for all nor does it remain on vacation. PCOS can come back from remission and be uglier than ever; this is just a warning. I thought I would be cured and able to live life as a smaller Mom. My glucose levels are crazy and I am on metformin again. I struggle everyday with the nasty booger called PCOS.

Happy and healthy journey~

Rekeca
on 11/13/12 12:58 am - NC

Congratulations. What an amazing story. Shiloh is beautiful.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1234 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 859 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1321 views