Post-op birth control

EternalEx
on 3/22/13 1:41 pm - Canada
Figured this board might be a good place to ask...

What did you use as birth control after surgery? I am fine with waiting 1-2 years before ttc (i want to be at or close to goal). I've heard stories of the pill not being effective post-op, but my surgeon said it would work the same, even though my fertility would probably increase.

Would like to get other thoughts? Did anyone's surgeon have a different opinion?
ladyecko1984
on 3/22/13 3:54 pm - WA

I had a lot of medical problems before  my weight loss surgery.  like high blood pressure  so i wanted something that worked great but had a lower risk of  stroke r heart attack. in the end i  got  the implanon  implant it goes into your  arm  its like a little match stick so you don't have to worry about taking a pill or  forgetting to take it. After you get it it takes a week  to build up in your system. when you take it  out it takes about the same time to come out of your  system. But  like all birth control there is some side effects. good luck  with which ever one you pick

THE_life10
on 3/22/13 8:07 pm
RNY on 03/26/12

I'm now going on my 4th month of using nuvaring and SO FAR it is working ..prior to nuva ring i wasnt using anything and YES i got preggo at 6m..easily (after having pcos and told i wasnt ovulating and would never have children without meds) . That was unsuccessful so now i'm using a method of bc. i guess you call it trial and error lol

I'll be 1yr post op in 3 days.

Height: 5'9 Hw: 285 Sw: 272  Cw: 167 Surg. goal: 165

1m: -20 2m: :-18 3m:-10

4m:-12 5m:8 6m:-4 7m:-3 8m-10:-28

LogansMommy
on 3/22/13 10:46 pm - Marietta, GA

If a doctor or midwife uses a ultrasound, to insert the Mirena; it can be very safe and effective!

michellerayne
on 3/23/13 7:35 am
RNY on 09/19/12

I was going to go the Mirena route.  I was told that it would be the most effective.  I had went in for an appointment to talk about getting an IUD and then was going to get it put in a couple weeks later, but then I found out I was pregnant.  I was only 2 months post surgery, and I'm 17 weeks now.  My advice is don't wait, I also have PCOS and never thought I would get pregnant on my own without meds or some type of reproductive help but I was wrong.  I'm excited to be expecting at the end of August, but I'm constantly worrying about my baby getting enough nutrition even though my OB hasn't expressed any concerns as of yet. 

shawna W.
on 3/24/13 4:36 am
RNY on 07/26/13

i dont know if this is true but my doctors have told me i cant have the merina put in because i never have been pregnant and had a baby. but i wanted it because it was a long lasting and can get it in non hormonal (which is great because i go crazy lady with constant hormones I.e. depo provera, 3 month constant nuva ring.

HW: 358 SW: 316   

KendraB1
on 3/26/13 2:32 am - DE
RNY on 11/05/12
On March 22, 2013 at 8:41 PM Pacific Time, EternalEx wrote:
Figured this board might be a good place to ask...

What did you use as birth control after surgery? I am fine with waiting 1-2 years before ttc (i want to be at or close to goal). I've heard stories of the pill not being effective post-op, but my surgeon said it would work the same, even though my fertility would probably increase.

Would like to get other thoughts? Did anyone's surgeon have a different opinion?

I was also told the pill is ok. I have been using it since surgery as my only form of birth control and it is working just like it always did- great! :-)

Yellacake
on 3/26/13 9:03 am - NJ
For me the pill did not work. I'm almost 7 weeks pregnant and 8 weeks post op.
Stacey D.
on 3/26/13 1:28 pm - Harrisonburg, VA
I was using depo shot and used it until my first child. Worked well but major side affect is weight gain so between my pregnancies which was 5 years post op I used more a it worked well for me. I didn't want to chance pills, good luck!

Stacey
RNY-10/27/04

determineddanni
on 3/28/13 7:38 am

I used the depo:) It was nice not having periods or having mood swings. Cautions though, if you plan to get preggers stop the depo a year before you start trying.

I do better on progestrone based BC than estrogen. I go crazy on estrogen. Oral BC is a big NO NO if you have had a malabsorption procedure. There is also the IUD's Mirena or Paraguard. There is also Implanon, which is implanted in your arm under the skin and last for 3 years. When you take it out, you can try to get pregnant right away :) I don't know if it's just the luck of women I have met but NUVARing seems to not be as effective. I don't know if they misused it or whatever but if you use it, use a condom too. At least I would, just to be safe.

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1232 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1318 views