Pregnancy after WLS

KnitsByMama
on 6/17/13 7:16 am - MO
VSG on 10/16/12

Just curious, who has gotten pregnant since having WLS? I had the VSG.

How soon afterwards?

How was your weight affected during pregnancy? Gained? How much?

How was your restriction after pregnancy?

Were you able to eat enough during the pregnancy?

Any tips?

Hubby & I are wanting to try for our 2nd child in the future and I'm just wondering what I'm up against. I know that my fertility has improved due to the 150lbs I've lost, but wondering how different pregnancy was after VSG. Thanks! 

SassySamara
on 6/17/13 12:28 pm - San Antonio, TX

I have had two post WLS pregnancies....I had the RNY almost ten years ago. My first pregnancy was in 2007, about 4 years post op and the second ended just two weeks ago... I now have a healthy son and daughter. I gained about 30 lbs with my son and lost it all within 4 weeks of delivery. I gained about 40 lbs with this last pregnancy and am down almost 30 lbs at two weeks post op and hope to have the rest of it off in a few more weeks if possible. I think breastfeeding helps and I try to restrict the carbs and junk food if i can and stick to fresh fruits, veggies, and protein. My restriction is about the same, which at about ten years post op is not as much as it was after surgery and I can eat healthy portions. I had no issues with eating during pregnancy with exception to occasional dumping and increased sensitivity to certain foods. However, overall, everything was "normal"

Lilypie - (8swr) Lilypie - (XAvt)

Paula622
on 6/25/13 1:52 am

I got pregnant six months after my sleeve surgery.  I gained 18 lbs during the pregnancy and lost it all by the time the baby was 3 weeks old.  I then went on to lose another 10 over the next six months.  My restrictions after pregnancy is different than it was before, but that is more likely because I was only six months out when I got pregnant.  Overall, I still have pretty good restriction (almost 3 years post op) I can eat about 2-3 ounces of dense protein with a little bit of veggies.  During my pregnancy, I snacked a lot to make sure I was eating enough, but never felt like I had any trouble eating enough.  Good luck!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1240 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 862 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1323 views