Recent Posts

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/29/17 6:22 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
Topic: RE: Post op pregnancy questions

I've definitely struggled with the regain, but it's 100% my own fault. I was on-track for four months after surgery and lost almost 10lb. After that, I semi-consciously "gave up" and gained back all of the baby weight plus some.

Most people experience some regain at year 2 or 3, mine just happened to coincide with the post-partum issues, which really sucked.

On the plus side, I had a complication-free pregnancy, my son is perfectly healthy, and even though I've gained a bit I can still chase him around much more easily than I could before surgery!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Lishamc1
on 11/29/17 5:26 pm

I plan on waiting until doctor gives me the ok, just wanting to hear stories of pregnancies after weight loss surgery. I am worried about the regain and how difficult the loss will be. Blows my mind at the people who are pregnant 6 weeks or even 6 months after surgery. I had the iud placed a week before surgery because I don't want to conceive until I am healthy enough to carry

Highest weight: 265, surgery weight: 245, surgery date: 9/11/17 RNY m1: - 26 m2: - 14 m3: -15 m4: -10 m5: -8 m6: - 4 m7: -6.5 m8: - 1.5 m9: -3 m10: - 0 m11: - 2 m12: -0

on 11/29/17 12:07 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
Topic: RE: BC and surgery

You ABSOLUTELY must stay on BC after having surgery. Fertility goes waaaaaay up with weight loss, and it's very important-- for both you and a potential baby-- that you don't get pregnant until at least a year after having surgery. Some doctors insist that you use two forms of BC if you're not 100% consistent with your main type.

I had a Mirena IUD placed several years before having surgery and my surgeon recommends his patients get something like an IUD or implant because of their success rates. I had it removed a year after surgery and got pregnant right away, and had another one placed after I gave birth.

on 11/29/17 12:05 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

The recommendations are there for a reason, you're best off listening to your doctors' advice rather than random strangers on the Internet ;)

I had my IUD removed 13 months after surgery and was pregnant three weeks later. I had been maintaining for two months and my blood work looked OK, both of which were required before my surgeon would give the OK to start trying.

I was 145 when I got pregnant, gave birth at 191, and was 183 when I came home from the hospital. I've been working for two years to get the baby weight off and it's been incredibly difficult since I lost my WLS honeymoon "groove."

Funmum2016
on 11/27/17 11:46 pm
Topic: BC and surgery

Ok so im trying to get my ducks in the same area and I have a question. Im waiting for the referal to go through from my family doctor to start the process of WLS. Im planning on having another child after I have the surgery, but am I also right and that I saw somewhere in my research that I need to stop my current BC before surgery?

Lishamc1
on 11/26/17 9:31 am
Topic: Post op pregnancy questions

My husband and I were trying to conceive before I had the RNY. Of course unsuccessfully. How long did you wait after surgery before trying again? How much weight did you gain during your pregnancy? Did you have trouble losing the baby weight? I know they recommend waiting a year to a year and a half before conceiving but just looking for input.

Highest weight: 265, surgery weight: 245, surgery date: 9/11/17 RNY m1: - 26 m2: - 14 m3: -15 m4: -10 m5: -8 m6: - 4 m7: -6.5 m8: - 1.5 m9: -3 m10: - 0 m11: - 2 m12: -0

Pinkpostit73
on 10/21/17 12:17 am
Topic: RE: Getting pregnant post-op, vitamins?

I had my first and only child 10 years post-op. I chose to conceive via donor and actually conceived 3 times in 7 months. I was 40 at the time of my daughter's conception and 41 when I delivered her. None of my doctors attributed WLS to the miscarriages, both which occurred between 6-8 weeks.

I did not have to make any adjustments to my vitamins except the normal prenatal and addition of folic acid. I gained 22 lbs through my pregnancy and had no issues with eating for two. I feel that somehow my body just naturally adjusted to accommodate the extra intake. Not sure if that's real or imagined but it certainly seemed my ability to eat more increased while pregnant and then after delivery returned to its previous routine.

I also exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months and then continued after the introduction of food until she was 22 months and decided she was done.

The only problem I had during pregnancy thst my doctor said may have been due to WLS is that my tummy skin apron became worDr in terms of moving lower down over the pubus causing recurring infections because of trapped moisture. They finally had to put me on a low dose daily antibiotic for the last 4 months (bactrim I think?).

Everyone is different but I have known many women who have all delivered healthy babies post op and all of them needed little to no adjustment in diet or supplements. I dfont know if the time since WLS makes a difference but it sounds like you are making every effort to be as infimed as possible.

Best of luck to you, and my best advice...pay attention to your body's signals, and don't stress. Your body knows.

on 10/2/17 8:37 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I can totally understand wanting to hurry up and get pregnant! Especially if you've got school going on.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a quick result! :)

Nikki101
on 9/29/17 4:38 am - Canada
RNY on 02/02/15

I know about vitamin a etc. I'm a nursing student lol. Plus I've spoken to the dietician. She basically kept me the same no extra folic acid or anything. If my.levels are good I get to go off the vitamin a.

My gyno referred me for surgery, but she just left town and I have a new one who I'm pretty sure is unfamiliar with this. Also being in a smaller city there isn't much luck for switching. I took my last pill a week ago today and I'm now on my whay counts as a period for me. my hubby works out of town so this may be a difficult thing. id prefer it to happen quick school wise lol.

I'm waiting for the gyno to call me back... apparenrly they're slow so I also made an appt but it's still a few weeks away and I may go visit the hubby for some trying before the appointment. Lol

on 9/28/17 7:20 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I had PCOS before my surgery, and expected to take a long time to get pregnant. Turns out I conceived 3 weeks after my IUD was yanked-- I never even had a period!

My OBGYN had me stay on my regular bariatric vitamins, and add a separate folic acid supplement. You don't want to double up on the multivitamins because too much vitamin A can be dangerous to the fetus. But I just got some folic acid pills and everything went on as normal.

If you're worried about having an experienced OB, I'd suggest calling your surgeon's office and seeing if they have any recommendations. They may be able to point you towards someone other patients have used before. My OB had dealt with a few WLS patients in the past and was able to guide me along just fine.

Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1287 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 883 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1356 views