Feeling defeated

jandjlove2010
on 5/1/11 2:45 am
As many of you already know, me and my mom got the surgery at the same time. We did our one month check up and we both lost about the same amount of weight (35 lbs). The doctor was happy for my mom but not for me, he said I need to be losing a lot more than her because I weigh more. I'm feeling defeated because she made her goal for the end of April and the scale just isn't moving for me. I thought since I weighed more I would lose faster, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I workou****ch my sugar intake, stay away from carbs, but I'm not seeing any reward on the scale. This surgery is my last chance at living a healthy life and I just cant imagine if I stayed big after all this work I'm putting in. And it would suck even more if my mom lost all her weight and I end up still overweight (I mean of course I would be very happy for her, but it would still suck for me)

ME:Surgery 354/Goal 154/NOW 275
MOM:Surgery 315/Goal 140/NOW 247

nfgfaniam
on 5/1/11 2:47 am - Jeffersonville, IN
35lbs in one month sounds like a reward at the scale to me..
~Sharon Marie

Cheryl Allan
on 5/1/11 2:56 am - Canada
aww dont be discouraged my one month just came and I only lost 18 lbs in the end it will all come off i do not see you doing one thing wrong I would have been so excited at 35lbs thats a great loss,keep your chin up and dont worry it is all going to melt away in the end
Cheryl Allan

HW...355......SW....322...CW 281

deborahgalek31
on 5/1/11 2:57 am
Your doctor can say what he wants.  We all lose weight at different rates.  It may take a little longer for your metabolism to start taking off.  35 pounds in a month is HUGE!!!  Look at it this way...it's a 5 year old child!  Be happy with what your are doing.  #1 priority...eat healthy.  #2 work out.  If you are working your muscles out, you may have just built up muscle while you were taking off fat!  So your fat loss may be a whole lot more, you just won't see it on the scale.  See if you can find one of those body fat monitors like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-306C-Loss-Monitor-Black/dp/B 000FYZMYK

That might help you feel better about how much your body is changing.  What you could also do if you don't want to get the monitor, start measuring yourself with a tape measure (arms, thighs, chest, stomach, waist).  This might also give you a better look at your changing body!

Good luck girl...stay with it and don't give up!

Live Long and Prosper  \ V / ,
Debbie
traceylee71
on 5/1/11 3:28 am - Canada
Wow well I weighed in at 308 march 03 had surgery March 23 after being on optifast 3 weeks and losing 23 pounds been 6 weeks out and ive only now at 37 pounds down and its been 63 days for me....in over two months I feel frustrated aswell im 6 weeks post op last week lost 2 pounds i think we are all different  it is a kicker when this was our last hope. I'm sorry you dont think 35 pounds is good i want to say it is, but everyone around me keeps saying ohhh two pounds a week is good and heathly and its not what i want to hear at all..since suregery in 6 weeks post out ive lost 13 pounds not great not sure what im doing wrong either..
Merrie60
on 5/1/11 5:48 am
Hi,

The first thing I did was throw out my scale. It is about how you feel first. then I only got weighted very few months. thought I was not losing untiil.....I went to the allergist the other day and he weighed me, down 108lbs in 10 months. shocked. did not think I lost that much. went from a size 26 to a size 12. cannot exercise so I think that is pretty good. do not be so hard on yourself, it all comes off. we all have our own time  clock I think you are doing great.. one more thing. do you write what you eat all day long? that helps me tremendously.  Hope this helps you, you will be fine.

Merrie
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/1/11 5:14 am - OH
You're doing just fine.  Please don't compare your weight loss to your mom's or ANYONE elses.  We all lose at whatever rate our body is willing to do so.  Some people are just slower losers, but that doesn't usually change teh total amount of weight loss. 

I got caught in that comparison trap for a while, and I was making myself crazy (and miserable)!  I persevered, though, and got to my goal weight even though it took me 20 months to get there (about 6 months to lose teh last 20 pounds or so).  Hang in there. It will happen.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Lindylou1
on 5/1/11 6:04 am, edited 5/1/11 6:04 am - CA
I don't understand why your Dr. would compare you to your Mother? Everyone is different. Focus in yourself and your weight lose which is great by the way. I wish I had lost that much in one month. Keep up the good work.

ChrissyD70
on 5/1/11 6:20 am - O'Fallon, MO
I would smack your doctor upside the head.  Geesh.. way to be positive and reassuring doc! 

I have compared my weight loss to others who started at the same weight and had surgery around the same time.  Drove me nuts.  I have been very slow to lose over the past 11 months, but I see that as a bonus.  As long as I continue to lose weight, I dont care how slow or fast it goes.  

Remember that there will be stalls along the way.  I stalled for 3 months about 2 months out.  Frustrating!!  I just kept doing everything I was supposed to, and things started coming off again.  Don't lose faith.  It will happen.  

Hugs!!!
I am very good at having opinions and always willing to share :)  Not shy at all!
Check out my site.. www.showmetheskinny.weebly.com

fatoldbat
on 5/2/11 4:18 am
AMEN!!!
Blessings,  J
HW 250.4/SW 238/1ST GOAL 155/2ND GOAL 150/CW 143.6
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 362 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 271 views