How do you cook squash?

cajungirl
on 9/28/11 2:40 am, edited 9/28/11 2:40 am
I love all types of squash or zuchini but spaghetti squash is my favorite.  Like Lynne, I use it for pasta when I cook spaghetti sauce and pasta for my children.  I usually nuke it in the microwave.  I also like to cook it, add a little salt and pepper and BUTTER (real butter) and eat is alone.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Becca R.
on 9/28/11 2:53 am, edited 9/28/11 2:56 am - WA
Moms recipe for the best acorn squash ever!
take the squash cut it in half if its large or just cut the top off if small. scoop out the seeds and stringy bits. put in in a cake pan since it can get messy. then into the center of the squash pour evaporated milk, a spoonfull of butter, salt, pepper, and a pinch of brown sugar(splenda brn sugar if you dump) and bake it for an hour at 350F and it should be nice and squishy. carefully take it out and enjoy  
you can scoop it into a bowl or just eat it out of the squash shell which i usually do cause Im too lazy/ hungry to wanna wait any longer lol
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
   Lilypie First Birthday tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
Mary B.
on 9/28/11 2:59 am - Southern, MD
Zucchini/yellow squash...I like to dice it into quarters and sautee it with onion in a little olive oil with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Toward the end I sprinkle it with a little parmesan cheese. YUM.

Butternut squash is awesome diced and roasted with butter, splenda and cinnamon.

Spaghetti squash, I like to make 'baked ziti' style with a heavy meat/tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Dan OBrien
on 9/28/11 3:17 am - FL
Spaghetti squash as others have said has been an awesome spaghetti substitute for me.  Last time I made it, I mixed unflavored protein in with the sauce and use mozzarella on top or mixed through.  Mmmmmmm.  Think I might add some ricotta next time now that I'm thinking about it!

Zucchini and yellow squash with some onion is awesome as well, sauteed in olive oil with garlic and maybe a pinch of cayenne for some zip.
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.                                                                         HW: 396 GW:230

D-J
on 9/28/11 4:32 am
butternut and acorn,pumpkin,i buy small as i can find them, i cut in half and de-seed, rub the tops with some butter or spray with olive oil and cook in the microwave for a few minutes till tender and then just eat it out of the shell,,with splenda and cinnamon or with sea salt,

yellow squash and zunccinni i tend to cube up or julienne it and carmelize them together with green onions, a smatter of julienned sweet potatoes and a few julienned carrots and make it like a hash brown with an over easy egg or you can scramble it with eggs

and spagetti squash i use in place of pasta,,that can go with sauce or garlic and onion with parm,,

all of these can be cut up and used in soups and stews,
Celia S.
on 9/28/11 8:15 am - Grand Junction, CO
My dad makes fried squash by dipping yellow squash slices in egg then coating with flour and frying it in a pan with just a little bit of butter. YUM! But pretty high in fat...

I love to sautee yellow sqaush and zucchini with onion and season with garlic salt. YUM!

Paul C.
on 9/28/11 10:23 am - Cumming, GA
I hate the crap so I burn so I don't have to see it at the table.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
ktharp89
on 9/28/11 12:39 pm - Gaithersburg, MD

Height - 5'8  - SW - 292/ CW - 177.6 /GW - 150 - BMI - 27.1 - 114.4 lbs lost!
"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore" Vincent Van Gogh
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

LJ1972
on 9/28/11 12:37 pm - FL
steamed.... thin slices of yellow squash, just a Tbs or 2 of water, salt, pepper and a little butter, cover it and cook til tender. I love to mix it up with green beans or such
ktharp89
on 9/28/11 12:43 pm - Gaithersburg, MD
 I didn't expect this many amazing ideas! Thank you so much!!!!
Height - 5'8  - SW - 292/ CW - 177.6 /GW - 150 - BMI - 27.1 - 114.4 lbs lost!
"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore" Vincent Van Gogh
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 536 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 306 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 368 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 392 views