Struggling?

Lisa W.
on 3/3/13 11:32 am - Fort Worth, TX
RNY on 08/22/12

Has anyone else had the RNY and not have support at home? I am 6 months post op and am struggling. I am trying to be my own support. My hubby and kids are happy that I am doing this. I am the cook here. I am having such a hard time cooking for them and then eating healthier for me. I had surgery in August and am down 80 lbs.  Which is great!! BUT I have not lost any weight in 2 months. Any recommendations?

thynnlynn
on 3/3/13 11:36 am - MI

My only support is here but I let my husband cook for himself and my kids are grown.  It sounds like you are losing on schedule.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

JanBooth
on 3/3/13 11:47 am - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

I cook, also.  My family eats pretty much whatever I cook, so I just make things that I can eat.  Sometimes I will "modify" the foods for them, sometimes they eat what I eat.  By that, I mean, if I make chili...I use lots of meat and beans for protein and may have spaghetti on the side for them to add, if they want it.  I make Chinese food with lots of chicken and veggies, with brown rice on the side.  Tacos and burritos, I don't eat the shell or tortilla. Meatloaf has no gravy in my house now. I make semi-homemade pizzas (buy the cheese pizza at Walmart or Aldis really cheap) with lots of veggies, meat or shrimp and then I eat just the toppings.
I've learned to be pretty creative with cooking, so that I can avoid the "I wish I could eat what they are eating" feelings.  My daughter is really pretty happy to eat healthier.  I'm happy that she's happy.  My husband has always been one to eat whatever I cook, so I'm lucky there, too. 

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

madeformore
on 3/3/13 11:51 am - MN
RNY on 06/21/12

I do have a good support system but I can relate on being the cook in the family. Have you tried making healthier meals for the whole family so you can all eat the same thing? I actually don't cook all that differently than before - I just eat a lot less of it! I stick to the protein & veggies and don't eat as much of whatever carb/starch is there. Sometimes I will choose to eat something differently, if I want a lower carb or lower calorie option - especially if I am making them a pasta dish or a hotdish.

Good luck!

Amy

HW: 270   SW: 245   CW: 172  GW: 160 then we'll see  

shrinkingit
on 3/3/13 2:46 pm
RNY on 11/13/12
My family is very loving and supportive, but I have the opposite problem. I don't do much of the cooking so when I come home dinner is usually about to be put on the table. However my husband and brother in law does not understand that I should not have any rice, noodles, fried foods, etc. So I often find myself either picking out a lot of the things that I am not able to have, find something different to eat, or just try and only eat a few bites of what ever they have prepared. Don't get me wrong they do try to make things a little healthier for me, but adding several veggies just doesn't make it a good food choice.

Cathy H

aka Shrinkingit- slowly but surelyheart

Mary Catherine
on 3/3/13 4:06 pm

Stop struggling.  You are on the honeymoon phase of your weight loss surgery.  You don't have to struggle.  You just have to eat on plan, get your water, exercise, vitamins and protein. This is your one chance to use weight loss surgery to get rid of your excess weight and live a slim, healthy life.  Please don't waste this opportunity.  It will not come again.  You have roughly another year to lose the rest of your weight.  You have wasted the last two months.  Eighty pounds is great, but you should have lost another twenty by now.  You know what I am talking about.

If cooking for your family is the problem, then sit your family down and tell them that the cook is out of commission.  There will be no more rice, bread, potatoes, crackers, chips, noodles, pizza, pasta, cookies, pastry or sugar.  They will be getting protein and a few vegetables.  They can eat the other stuff but not when it is cooked or served by you.  They will have plenty to eat, but it will be only healthy choices, because you cannot lose your weight and continue to prepare foods that you cannot resist eating.

If you do not draw the line now and stick to it you will end up being a weight loss surgery failure.  You will regret that for the rest of your life.  Spend this next year learning how to eat properly so that you can loose your weight and know how to maintain that loss. You are worth it. Your family may not be happy, but they will respect and admire your courage and determination.  You will respect yourself. You will love the new body and new health.  You and your family will be healthier and happier.  You cannot make everyone happy, but you can make them healthy.

SoCaPinkLady
on 3/3/13 8:56 pm - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

I was a a 2 month stall at 4 months and I know how you feel. Just remember to skip the Carbs. I rarely cook them for the family or eat any if I do. I concentrate on cooking protein and fresh veggies. The family can eat this or they can fend for themselves. We know from our own experience that all those carbs are not good for us so why should they be good for our family???  I don't know if you have children or if you are cooking for adults only. My family are all old enough to take care of themselves if they don't like what I have planned for dinner. Today I am making my famous spaghetti sauce and they will have it over pasta for dinner tonight. The family is thrilled as they have missed my spaghetti.  I will have some of the sauce with Italian sausage and a small salad. I will make garlic bread but I have gotten good about not eating any.

Lori                               

karenp8
on 3/3/13 10:56 pm - Brighton, IL

I have my husband and I to cook for here and generally I eat the same things as he does but without the starchy sides. For instance I might cook grilled chicken,veggies and make some rice for him that I don't eat. He is getting healthier too and has had to have his diabetes meds adjusted.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 522 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 530 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 388 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 11 replies · 48 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?