mini-quiches

poet_kelly
on 7/12/13 5:27 am - OH

I've been making these lately and they are pretty easy and really yummy and full of protein.

You need:

5 eggs
1 cup shredded cheese (I've been using Swiss)
6 slices bacon (I've been using Morningstar Farms breakfast strips, which is not really bacon)
sprinkle of black pepper
sprinkle of garlic powder
sprinkle of oregano

Beat the eggs in a bowl.  Cook the bacon and crumble it up, then add that, the shredded cheese, and the pepper, garlic powder and oregano to the eggs and stir it well.  Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray and fill the muffin tin with the egg mixture.  I made six muffin-sized quiches with this recipe.  Bake for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

You can refrigerate leftovers and reheat them in the microwave in just a few seconds.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Missy A.
on 7/12/13 6:24 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

Yummy, sounds great! Definitely saving this!

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

Lori_Lee
on 7/12/13 6:37 am - Canada

Have you tried freezing them?  I was thinking of doing something similar - adding different things such as mushrooms, peppers, feta for a variety and freezing.  Pop into the lunch and off I go! :)  Just not so sure how they will freeze.

Lori Lee

TWH Orientation - Oct 17, 2012   SW - Nov 19, 2012   Nurse - Dec 12, 2012  Group Nutrition Class - Jan 14, 2013  Psychologist Feb 12, 2013  Nutrition March 15, 2013 Surgeon - April 5th (Dr Penner) Surgery May 16th 

poet_kelly
on 7/12/13 6:39 am - OH

I haven't tried freezing them.  You could make a batch, freeze one, see how it works, and if it turns out, then make and freeze a bunch.  That's what I would do, rather than freeze a whole bunch only to find out it didn't work out well.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/12/13 1:43 pm - OH

I tried freezing a couple that I was afraid would go bad before I ate them all.  They were ok after freezing (they were edible), but not great.  The texture of the eggs was odd and the taste was a little off.  Some people might not mind that, though.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 7/12/13 6:57 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I love quiche!  I'm going to try this, thank you.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Justcallmesuz
on 7/12/13 7:44 am
RNY on 05/08/13

Yum!

HW~278

CW~131

GW~160

baepage
on 7/12/13 8:45 am - MA
RNY on 04/22/13

I know what I'm making this weekend.  Thanks for sharing.

Barbara

PetHairMagnet
on 7/12/13 9:02 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I have been making these for years, the only difference was I would cut a piece of Texas Toast and put it on the bottom of each muffin cup and they freeze beautifully! My boys LOVED them when they were little and it was super, especially on early travel days for baseball!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

BWB
on 7/12/13 9:21 am

Quiche is in our B & B repertoire and everyone loves it.  I think it is a healthy start to the day or for brunch with asparagus, spinach, or broccoli.  I have heard that you can freeze it, I haven't but we have refrigerated it for a couple of days until we finish the left overs. I do frequently make it the night before and warm it for breakfast.  It is better if served warm and stays together better too.

Quiche is basically a custard.  I have substituted almond milk for lactose free guests.  

Meat: lean ham, 2 sm slices-diced on the bottom

Cheese: Gruyere, swiss, or any of your favorites.

Lightly sauteed mushrooms and green onions. 

Eggs: 3 large farm fresh

Milk or Almond Milk: 1 cup

Salt & Pepper ( optional- dash of hot sauce)

Herbs: dill, parsley, garlic, chervil

Quickly blanch diced broccoli, layer on top of meat, cheese.

Heat milk  until hot.  Pour a small amount into beaten egg, whip with a whisk and gradually pour in all the hot milk.  This is to shorten the baking time.  Pour over ingredients in the baking dish.  Sprinkle with paprika and fresh grated nutmeg.  Nutmeg is a must.  Decorate with red pepper rings and grated Parmesan cheese.

Because we are serving it to guests I use a bottom crust in a regular deep pie pan.  It serves 6.  You could make it in custard cups or small ramekins.  

Pre heat oven to 375.  Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.  It will feel set to the touch.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 362 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 275 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 204 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 299 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 125 views
Recent Topics