Close to throwing in the towel

skinnymeforever
on 4/24/11 8:03 am - AZ
I hope that someone here will help. I've been in the hospital for 3 days now with dehydration, low potassium levels, and ulcers in my stomach.

I am a full time student presently.  I've missed so much school AND even though it's almost over, I am so far behind, I don't know if I have the strength to keep on going.  I'm afraid that when I'm at class, I will forget to drink my water and when my classes are at night, I can't eat. (that's 2 times a week).  If I quit, I will have to do this semester all over plus I don't know if I can get student loans to repeat classes. Not to mention, I was hoping to finish this semester because that would give me my degree and I might be able to get a job.  What do I do?  I'm very worried about this.

acbbrown
on 4/24/11 8:06 am - Granada Hills, CA
If you are almost done, just keep going. You might be behind, but you can catch up. After 7 years of college/grad school, trust me, I've pulled many miracles out of a hat. Set a timer, or something to remind yourself to drink. Find something that tastes good to you so that you WANT to drink it.

You have too much to lose in terms of school to throw in the towel. It's not easy, but when you think about being completely finished at the end of the semester, that has to sound better than re-doing it again.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

MsSonja
on 4/24/11 8:09 am - Kent, WA
Well girly, you know what you need to do, so JUST DO IT!!!

As for class, ask your professors for  P/F (pass/fail) or "I" (incomplete) instead of a grade, so that you can do what you can to make up the work and catch up (helps with gpa)  Many are flexible, especially if you explain your cir****tance and do what you need to do.  I know I can't afford to repeat either.  Good luck!  ~~S
~~ Ms. Sonja 

BuckeyeGirl
on 4/24/11 8:10 am - TN
I am very sorry to hear about your troubles!

I doubt you will forget to drink you water after surviving a stint of hospitalization from dehydration! Just get a water bottle that you can fill up and take with you.

As far as the 2 nights a week when your classes are at night....how long are these classes? Are they so small that you could not get away with eating in them? If you do not feel comfortable bringing snacks to the class, could you bring in a protein drink for these 2 days a week?

You can do this!!

Best of luck,
Lindsey

thisbe777
on 4/24/11 8:13 am
your first priority is to get healthy -- talk to the school about getting a medical withdrawal from classes....  you will be able to get the financial aid to take whatever classes you want/need....   i just finished my degree with student loans, so i know from whence i speak! they don't really care how much you borrow or how long it takes you to complete your degree, as long as you start paying them back after you are finished!   it might be different if you were on grants, i think they are less forgiving on repeating classes...    i also have several friends from school who had medical issues and had to leave for a while and then come back... it can be done!!

talk to your instructors -- let them know you have medical issues that requre you to be able to eat at regular intervals (get a doctor's note if necessary)  they have to make reasonable accomodations for you!!   assert your rights, stand up for yourself and what you need.....   forgetting to drink your water?  keep the bottle right in front of you and set a timer if necessary to get yourself to drink!    i spent the evening in the ER 3 days post op because of dehydration - i never wanted to go there again...  

you can do this!!  and you can do school too! 

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/11 8:20 am
VSG on 03/14/11 with
So glad to hear you went to the hospital! But very sorry to hear you are still there and with ulcers. What happens with ulcers?

Only you can decide what you need to do for your classes. You have to determine how strong you are, how badly you want it, and what it's worth is to you. I wish you all the best and am so very sorry you are in this position. Deal with your health first and foremost, then tackle the other things........
judygibson4
on 4/24/11 8:26 am
to skinnymeforever...
you difinitely need to finish the semester.. you can take some flavored water with you bottled to drink .. you should always have water with you at all times and always stay hydrated. I know you are going through alot but you will get through it and be happy you hung in there,, trust me i have been there and done that. so dont give up.. get out of the hospital and hit it hard to the end. the student loans will make you pay for the next classes if you dont complete and you will have to prove yourself with a c or better amd complete it before you can get student loans again.
I worked a full time job and then went to college 2 nights a week from 5:30 to 10:30 pm, plus Saturday for four hours.  Does your school forbid you from drinking or eating in the class?  I always had a water or soda bottle during class and it was never a problem.  And many of us would get snacks from the vending machines, etc. 

I am confused on why you want to quit, is it because you don't think you can get in the water and protein?  Why can't you pack a water bottle and a protein drink?  Again, not sure if food/drink is NOT permitted, however, you can tell them that you require it for medical reasons.  Or is it because you have missed so much class that you don't think you can make up assignments, etc? 

Can you have some one-on-ones with each of the teachers and explain the situation that you have been hospitalized?  Can they give you any extra credit assignments or allow you additional time to hand in class assignments that you have not completed?  Heck, what is the worse that can happen?  They just will tell you no. 

Nancy
"Learn from Yesterday.  Live for Today.  Hope for Tomorrow" - Albet Einstein

cabcab
on 4/24/11 8:36 am
VSG on 01/06/11 with
As for forgetting to drink, sometimes I have to set the timer on my iPhone every three minutes and take a big gulp or two.  You could do the same thing in class, but put your phone on vibrate.

I'm not sure why you can't eat when it comes to your night class.  I would think you could bring some kind of snack like almonds or even some lunch meat, etc.  Maybe you could explain to your professor and ask for special permission.

Do try to finish though, it will be way worse to have to do it over again.

Good luck!
    HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

Eula "Evie" R.
on 4/24/11 9:03 am - Mount Nebo, WV
Hi,
If you can at all work as hard as you can to finish your class. Were there is a will there is a way. You can get your water and protien in just plan.
God Bless
Evie

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views