Salads and Raw Veggies

suthernqueen
on 5/8/11 10:15 am
I am almost 2mths out and really craving a salad or wanting to eat some carrot sticks but have been told no salad or raw veggies for 6mths.

Has this been the same message from doc office for anyone else? Also has anyone that is less than 6 mths post op eaten salad and raw veggies?

What was your experience?

I will try to stick with the advice my doc gave but have noticed he seems to have stricter rules that some others that have moved along to adding different items to their list of foods on the forum.

Thanks for any and all replies.

Kelby F.
on 5/8/11 10:22 am - Minot, ND
 I personally was cleared for anything, as tollerated, at 6 weeks out. 

I know raw veggies and lettuce don't sit well with some. I have had all sorts of raw veggies and lettuce and they haven't caused me any issues at all. 

~Kelby~       HW: 356 SW: 330 CW:231 GW: 175 I'm 5'6"

"Success means having the courage, the determination, and the will to become the person you believe you were meant to be."

_aprilh_
on 5/8/11 10:28 am - OK
I've had a bite or two of salad since surgery. I didn't have too much trouble. I was told to chew, chew, and chew some more because it can be hard on the stomach.
"I can do all things through Christ who strenthens me!"
 April ~ 39y/o, 6'0", HW 292, SW 268.4, CW 188, BMI 26.7

vjb1952
on 5/8/11 10:23 am - Littlerock, CA
VSG on 03/28/11 with
My doctor's plan says no raw veggies or salad for 3 months, along with dense protein like steak and "spirits"...my plan for the 4th of July is a couple nice bites of filet mignon, accompanied by a slice of red bell pepper & a celery stick dipped in Ranch, washed down with a swallow of my favorite wine!...just kidding about washing that down with the wine...will savor the wine after dinner, or maybe make it a Baileys & coffee!  

From what I have seen, different doctors make different recommendations...there doesn't seem to be a "hard, fast rule" to some of this...with some trial and error.   Best wishes,  Viv 

vjb1952

sleeve genie
on 5/8/11 10:45 am - Alhambra, CA
I was told no raw veggies for the first three months,  others have said they weren't  told that but i was,   i loved my first salad at exactly 3 months post op,  but i could have cooked soft veggies,  not the same thing i know but its not forever  :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

janielynne
on 5/8/11 11:11 am

It will be 5 weeks since my surgery tomorrow.  I have been craving a apple pecan salad from Wendys!!!  I can not wait.   Can not have for 8 weeks....Boo Hoo

KB1964
on 5/8/11 11:44 am
My doctor said no raw veggies or lettuce until 8 weeks postop. I am currently 6 weeks out. and I am ready for a salad too.
kats-mom
on 5/8/11 12:23 pm - TX
VSG on 02/15/11 with
Like Kelby, I was told I could have "whatever" at about 6 weeks. I didn't have salad until about 8 weeks. I have not had a problem with anything yet. I eat very, very little salad because I must leave room for the protein! I have a small salad about twice a week now.
You might want to check with your nutritionist to see what he/she says. I know my doctor's office and my nutritionist differ at times.
   Lorraine    kats-mom
        Highest Weight-285  /  1st Nutritionist Appt-275  /  Pre-op Diet-257  /  
                               Day of Surgery: 246  /  Day Home-257

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 79 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views