4 weeks sleeved- questions and hoping for feedback about your experiences! :)

Michelle W.
on 6/26/11 12:17 pm - WA

Hey guys! Im just a few days shy of being 4 weeks sleeved and need a some feed back on a few things.  Everyone on the board has always been so helpful, so I appreciate all the feedback in advance! Especially with the large array of different experiences, its so nice to hear other people's stories!

First,  Im still having a hard time getting in fluids! I think I get about 30 oz water daily, and about 30gram protein daily. Honestly I think things are "too tight" (did have to be dialated twice after surgery) because after drinking just a few sips of protein I start to feel nauseated- it feels like sludge just sitting there! Should it be this hard 4 weeks out?

Second,  I know in 2 days my Dr is going to move me on to move me on to mushie and soft foods. So over the past few days I have tried some out. :) I thought this may help with the protein issue too. Im wrong! I can hardly eat anything! I tried eggs, mashed potatoes, apple sauce, and a few other things...again, about 2 oz and I feel like there is just this thick sludge sitting there- for even up to like 10 hours! I guess I thought that 4 weeks out I would be doing a little better than this. Is this normal? and any food suggestions that may be eaiser to start with?

Third, I know that stalls are inevitable, and basically- they SUCK! But my scale has not moved an ounce in 3 weeks! How long can I expect this to last?

Lastly, Im know that some people feel really good pretty quick after, but the majority dont. Ive been feeling pretty crummy this whole time. Im guessing that alot of it has to do with not getting too much nutrients or protein in, but Im wondering how long it took people to get back to feeling "normal" again. Just wondering.

I know its alot- but any feedback is always appreciate!~ :) Thanks friends!!!

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/11 12:24 pm
Sorry to say, but this does not sound normal. You should be able to easily drink fluids at this point with no restriction. Liquidy foods like yogurt or pudding offered little restriction at a month out. Please get to your surgeon and have him check the tightness again before you struggle too much with mushies.. Good luck!!
_aprilh_
on 6/26/11 12:29 pm - OK
I also do not think this is normal. Talk to your surgeon. I would also wonder why you have not lost more when you are not eating anything. It seems odd to me. I am praying for you!
"I can do all things through Christ who strenthens me!"
 April ~ 39y/o, 6'0", HW 292, SW 268.4, CW 188, BMI 26.7

roundater
on 6/26/11 12:30 pm - Lincoln, NE
I was lucky. Felt normal only two days after surgery and had only minimal discomfort while in the hospital ( pain was only a 3 on the 10 scale at most and gone after 2 days). I have been able to take protein shakes just fine both pre and post op so not sure what to say on that one. I have been using skim milk with my shake and lo fat cottage cheese to get in protein. Usually shoot for 100 grams of protein per day. Some of the foods you listed (i.e. mashed potatoes) have a fair amount of carbs in them. I usually shoot for 40 grams of carbs per day. Also shoot for  600-800 calories per day. I found it to be helpful to try and move around as much as possible. Did that in the hospital and still do it while recovering.

Hope this helps. Good luck and let me know how you are coming.
Rich Sonderegger

MrsHelm1012
on 6/26/11 12:35 pm - Washingtonville, PA
I agree, this does not sound normal. I am a lil over a month out. I can get 3-4 oz of yogurt in, and feel full for quite a while, but certainly not 10 hours. I can get in all the fluid I want. I can only get about 2-2 1/2 oz of chicken, tuna, or ground turkey in. I started to feel "normal" about 3 weeks out, but I am def still VERY tired... But I am have very low Iron and Iron Saturation levels so that is part of my problem. Everybody is different, and everybody recovers different. I would call the Dr tomorrow AM and let them know how you are feeling. At the very least you may need some fluids. Please keep us posted!

acbbrown
on 6/26/11 12:41 pm - Granada Hills, CA
The stall is probably because of 4 weeks of dehydration and lack of nutrition. As soon as you start getting more fluids/protein, the weight will start to melt off. Right now your body is going to hang on to everything.

Please see your surgeon asap - that's not normal. I'm 2 weeks out, and I can eat 2 oz of soft food, and drink about 80 oz of fluids per day.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

MediumSoon
on 6/26/11 12:58 pm - TX
I agree with all of the above, but it sounds like your surgeon is aware - since you've had to be dilated - but you are definitely not getting enough fluids. I'd surely call and ask what you can do about that - it is BY FAR the most important thing early on.

foodlover
on 6/26/11 2:16 pm
My stall lasted from day 10 until 5 weeks later so that might be normal, but the other part doesn't sound right.  I was able to drink ALL my fluids by 1 month out and my recovery was horrible so I am worried about you.  Please call your Dr. and best of luck!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views