My 3 year anniversary - x-post

MacMadame
on 9/24/11 1:44 pm - Northern, CA
I don't post here much any more (I'm on the Main Board and the VSG Maintenance Board), but I know  when I was a pre-op, I wanted to hear from people who were farther out. So I figured I'd crosspost my "I'm 3 years out" message to this board. Hope you enjoy it!

So today is not only the 20th anniversary of the release of Nirvana's Nevermind, but it's also my 3 year Surgiversary!

I wrote up a blog post about it:

An auspicious day

To answer the sort of questions that pre-ops have....

I never thought 3 years ago that I'd be where I am now. I really worked my sleeve for the first 6 months, for the first year really. I tracked every bite, lick and sip that crossed my lips. I weighed every day. I tracked my exercise. I exercised as much as it took to keep my weight loss going at a good clip. (My surgeon wants to see 50% excess weight loss at 3 months and 80% at 6 months and that's what I aimed for and exceeded.) I ate to program about 95% of the time.

The second year was about consolidating my results. I still was mentally in 'weight loss' mode. I wasn't losing any more but I was still tracking, weighing daily, and worrying constantly about regain. I eased up a bit on the food, incorporating more indulgences as I realized that my exercise regime could support them.

This past year has been about living. I still weigh daily, but I stopped tracking my food and my weight remains stable. I still workout a lot but it's because I've embraced the life of an athlete, not because I am afraid of regain. I eat much more like a normal person now. Only with a lot more protein. Heh.

As I enter my 4th year, I'm not sure what the future holds. I still weigh pretty much every day, but I may start easing up on that. I can tell how I'm doing by looking at my body and feeling it and the scale never surprises me. I am still active on the boards, but I find my social life revolves more and more around triathlon and less around WLS. I also want to clean up my eating a bit. Not because of weight issues, but because I think I'd do better at triathlon if I ate better. Pretty much all of my goals these days are around athletic accomplishments and visiting places I want to see before I die. (Like I want to go to New Zealand and Zorb and see the Grand Canyon. And do a Double Century Bike Ride.)

I do plan to get plastic surgery but not until I pay off my car. So in about three years. My loose skin is not as bad as some and I'm sure there are people out there who would think I am crazy to get PS, but my loose skin bothers me and it gets in the way when I'm biking. I think getting rid of it will be the last step on my path to being a normal weight and having a normal life.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

newme2011-2012
on 9/24/11 1:56 pm
Thank you for your post!!! It is very incourgaing to those of us ...Me that have not had the sleeve yet but are getting one soon!!!!
I plan to be where you are in 3 years!!
Thank you!!
Julie
DebbieL.
on 9/24/11 1:58 pm - OK
Thank you so much for sharing!  I love to read about people's experiences, if really helps.  Sounds like you are doing really great.  Congratulations on the 3 years!
(deactivated member)
on 9/24/11 2:47 pm - Castle Rock, CO
truly inspiring.. congrats!
frisco
on 9/24/11 5:07 pm
Full disclosure......

When I was researching VSG.... Several people made an impression on me....most were Cirangle patiants....but it was your high praise of Dr. Cirangle that got me to call his office and make an appointment!

3 weeks later I was sleeved..... And I have to thank you for being that person that inspired me to make the call. I still learn from you here on OH and IRL at group meetings.

For all the newbies and vets....Mac/Marie is the real deal...... Pay attention !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

BuckeyeGirl
on 9/24/11 9:19 pm - TN
Happy Surgiversary and Congrats on all your success!

I didn't Zorb while there, but New Zealand is gorgeous and a must. You sound so adept at accomplishing your goals, I'll bet you will be there in no time. If you want to trek Milford Sound, just make sure to check the register before you plan your trip because it fills up early.

Thanks again for posting and best of luck in all of your upcoming 4th year adventures!

Lindsey

USAF Wife
on 9/24/11 10:04 pm
Thanks for the update. . . You were one of my "go to" VSG'ers in the beginning, and I remember you easing so many of my fears and concerns. I'm so grateful that I was able to follow up and know that if I had an issue, I could come to you ! ! !
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Paige V.
on 9/25/11 12:17 am - Gainesville, FL
=) thank you for sharing! 

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

jimbovsg
on 9/25/11 1:29 am
Hey Mac.     When we first met IRL You REALLY  impressed me.......and you STILL continue  to do so.   Long term  success takes work........enjoy the "fruits of your labor"  you have certainly earned them!   Congratulations on your success thus far.....and on your continuing success......as I have no doubts you will have it!

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

diane S.
on 9/25/11 3:36 am
Hey McMadame
Congrats on your three years. You truly are a success in every way and a model vsg patient. I followed your story closely when I was considering this and you inspired me in so many ways and were kind enough to visit me in the hospital. I owe much of my own success to inspiration from you and am greatful to be able to find a fellow Cirangle patient who went before me to calm my fears and give me confidence that this would work. And congrats on making the crossing to a normal life of a person with a sleeve where you liove and are not focused every second on eating rules but living life fully. Thats what we all strive for.

You have done so well and we all look forward to your posts and comments. Good luck with your next race. And hey, why not come up north for the Avenue of the Giants marathon or the Lost Coast Bicycle race. Could be a good time!

All the best and thanks so much.    Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active