Sweet tooth?

Sassy B
on 2/27/12 12:20 pm
I was sleeved 4.5 months ago, and I'm down 75 lbs. I'm still feeling tons of restriction, but I have one weird problem that's reared it's ugly head in the past month or so.... I have a ridiculous sweet tooth!

Pre-surg, my favorite snacks were the salty/fried kind, but in the past few weeks, I've been really craving sweets. There have been a few days at work where the cravings were so great that I would have been willing to club a baby seal in order to get my hands on a piece of candy. The cravings are greatest in the mid-afternoon and before dinner (so, a couple hours after my last meal). However, I've had lab work done recently, and everything is fine with my sugars.

I plan to discuss with my nutritionist, but I wanted to know if anyone has had similar cravings, and the tricks they use to combat them. Right now, I'm trying packing chocolate shakes and grapes to have something "sweet" in the mid-afternoon, but its not cutting it, and I'll admit I've grabbed a few handfuls from the communal candy dishes that seem to litter our office.

I'm pretty sure candy is not on my doc's plan... anyone got any advice?
-B

5'9", 31 year-old female pescetarian VSGer!   ///   Surgery by Dr. Steven Clark on 14-Oct-2012.

TheBiscuit
on 2/27/12 12:30 pm - TX
 The only time I want sweet food is the week before my period. No matter what I do, the urge is there. Kinda funny, cause the week of and after my period, I could care less for anything sugar. I limit myself to one piece of dove dark chocolate a day to help curb the urge. It really helps. If the day is especially bad, I'll put some sugar free hershey syrup in some plain greek yogurt, freeze it and have a frozen yogurt of sorts. None of that is particularly bad. :)
VSG: 10-13-2011
SW: 287
CW: 178

acbbrown
on 2/27/12 12:37 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 My coffee drink concoctions are what I use to curb my sweet tooth. I put a couple packs of artifical sweetner and usually SF syrups ( usually SF chocolate lol). 

Or diet peach snapple or propel. I like to drink a lot so I usually get a lot of fluids in when my sweet cravings kick in. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

jimbovsg
on 2/27/12 1:15 pm
"Hold on sugar!....daddy's got a sweet tooth tonight "  ( Jim Carrey The Mask)  Sorry...this popped into my head!  Lol!

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/12 1:38 pm
You crack me up - LMAO - I so remember that!
P_B
on 2/27/12 1:18 pm - Norfolk, VA
I'm starting to have this issue too, I try and go for the healthy option like a few grapes or some other fruit.
When I crave salty I go for cheese, nuts or cheese crisps

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/12 3:22 pm
I also get a sweet tooth however mine seems to strike late at night.  I will tell you what helps me but of course everyone is different.  First as soon as the urge hits and becomes somewhat overwhelming I eat a Klaussen dill pickle spear.  It fills me up and for some reason the vinegar seems to quiet the sugar urge.  If after that it comes back I eat my chocolate calcium chews (4)  I eat them slowly and make them last.   Other things I do, I eat 1/4 of a sliced apple with a bit of spiced salt; I some watermelon, a piece of sugar free hard candy like Jolly Rancher (Walmart).  I do not do any of these things on a daily basis but maybe once or twice a month.  Usually the pickle kills the sweet tooth.  The non eating things I have done that may or may not work, brush your teeth, paint your nails, go for a walk, give the dog a bath, color your hair, polish your silver.  Now you have a list of things to try!  Good luck.
(deactivated member)
on 2/27/12 5:01 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I had the same weirdness, a sweet tooth flare that I would have told you I did not have.  I much prefer savory things. 

Something I would make that helped some was, I would make a "muffin in a minute" with protein powder and water (or to actually bake them if I made multiples) *this is VERY DENSE!! so its self limiting like that.  ** If you nuke it start with 30 seconds at a time, because it turns into a hockey puck QUICKLY!

Then I would add some pound cake flavor (almond vanilla butter) and sweetner to some ricotta and put that on the top, like icing, or you could do it with greek yogurt, flavor and sweeten it.

Your time frame of when you crave sweets is an "arsenic hour" sort of time, and its probably when work is on your last nerve, or your blood sugar has taken a dive from lunchtime. When its my period I push dense protein and it helps to keep my blood sugar stable and my tongue does not diddle with me so much because my sugars are stable. 

But the muffin in a minute thing.  Or even maybe just the ricotta, maybe mixed with flavor and sweetner or protein powder?  Its much more dense than greek yogurt, although still did not keep my belly full for long (when I ate it alone).

Some folks can just have some of what they crave and its fine, but I am not one of those folks.  If I give into the candy dish, the chick in my head things she can pull me around by my short hairs whenever she wants.  So, even if I have a sweet treat, like a muffin in a minute, I FIRST put some dense protein in my belly, so my body/belly/that chick in my head understands we do not just get to eat sweets alone.  It also helps my body not do the blood sugar roller coaster thing. 

Good luck!
GFgirl
on 2/27/12 9:37 pm
I try to quell sweet tooth cravings with snacks that have good protein and/or fats....my top two favs are: frozen chocolate pb cup (or you can make it with mint instead) or a 3 minute chocolate cake  - I like putting some greek yogurt on top. If you have protein snacks it will help to curb the blood sugar crash that is inevitable with sugary foods. Another great option is dessert teas - getting a good maple or chocolate tea, steaming some unsweetened almond milk in it (or regular milk) will often help to calm the cravings - plus it takes a long time to sip and in that time it's more likely your cravings will pass.
cooter23
on 2/28/12 1:43 am
 I have the same cravings at times. Sometimes I will eat a protein bar or every now and then I will go ahead and have something sweet. I don't have the cravings like I did before the surgery, tho.