CAN I KEEP IT REAL???

Miluska32
on 5/29/12 4:59 am - NJ

Hello Everyone,
As I'm typing I'm already scared of the post I will get in return.  But I'm posting this anyway because there has to be someone else out there like myself!!

I had surgery 11/21 and have lost 67lbs to date.  I'm currently at 157lbs and couldn't be happier with my weight loss!

But I have to be honest in that I work out mostly toning and not so much cardio.  But I do walk daily but nothing crazy.  I don't count my calories or protein.

I make sure to eat my breakfast, lunch 2 snacks and dinner.  I take my vitamins daily to include extra Vitamin D and Biotin plus I take my under active Thyroid medication daily as well.

I am 33 years old and married to wonderful man and have an active social life.  I drink socially with friends on weekends.  I haven't had any complications but I do worry if there is something wrong with me because other then loosing the lbs my life hasn't changed all that much since before surgery because food was never really an issue for me.  I actually feel like I eat more now then before surgery.  Is there anyone out there me? Who still party's and leads the same life they had before surgery???

acbbrown
on 5/29/12 5:06 am - Granada Hills, CA
Why would you be scared? You've found your way to lose weight and live...i dont think there's a "one size fit all" approach. We all have different issues that led to us becoming overweight/obese, and as long as you've delt with yours and you believe you will be able to maintain your loss, LIVE IT UP. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

julesGA
on 5/29/12 5:09 am - Brunswick, GA
 If it ain't broke don't fix it.   You've lost weight and feel great.  I don't see a problem. 

Ms Shell
on 5/29/12 5:22 am - Hawthorne, CA
I only see this as a problem if/when it becomes a problem.

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

moxiecowgirl
on 5/29/12 5:43 am - Blue Springs, MO
RNY on 01/14/13
SO not scary...as a matter of fact, it's awesome!  You've managed to do something not everyone can...hold onto "real" life while improving your health. 

If you were drinking to excess, or eating a bunch of crap, and then wondering why it "wasn't working", then you would have a reason to be scared of the responses!

Starting weight: 335  Surgery day weight: 304.6  Current weight: 229.6  Goal weight: 145 

hwag5149
on 5/29/12 5:49 am
Lucky ass! My only concern would be if I start seeing regain and whether I'd be able to get ahold of it. If so, awesome :)

What do you mean when you say you think you eat more? Like more often or more actual food and calories? I'm just curious!

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

rhearob
on 5/29/12 6:00 am - TN
 I don't disagree with the OP and congratulate her for being happy.  The post's I don't like are the ones that will be coming on how great it is that she's living a "real" life.  There is nothing less real about the lives of people who are focusing more on adhering to their plans while in weight loss and maintenance.

As everyone who posts about their trips to McDonalds or Burger King says - there is more than one path here.  Just because I am choosing not to eat carb or fat rich foods or drin****il I am in maintenance does not mean that I am somehow miserable or depriving myself.  The truth is the exact opposite - I am just as happy with what I am eating right now as I was with my large pizza's before surgery.  I have learned how to treat my food like food and not as a date or emotional tool.  I have learned how to not ceremonialize food.

I can now enjoy doing things with my friends and family - we can sit outside on a hot day without me sweating to sdeath, we can go places and do things together.  Not every activity has to revolve around food and drink - it actually revolves around people.  I'd much rather have that.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Kevin H.
on 5/29/12 6:26 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
As always, brilliant reply.  I couldnt agree more.

salamander829
on 5/29/12 9:56 am - MD
 Great post! Right on.

USAF Wife
on 5/29/12 6:38 am
I was pretty much YOU until I got pregnant last year, I partied, had a great social life, was known as the "afternoon ****tail girl" in my circle, I was just living the life that I had in those months. It lasted a year. I got pregnant last February, delivered October 30th and got pregnant again this year in January, and due October 17th. The only reason I eat more now is because there is another human sucking every nutrient/calorie from my intake. I don't eat nearly as much as I did preop because I was a volume eater, but I do eat more today than I did in maintenance. Cravings are horrible and I give in more than I should. But, I'm halfway through the pregnancy and I know I'll go right back to my normal maintenance eating. I don't foresee my former social life returning for a couple of years. But, the driving force behind me having surgery was to have a baby. I just never expected to have two within less a year.

Least to say, my life is vastly different than what it was when I was in maintenance, party/social butterfly mode. I never have and never will identify as a food addict. My partying was limited to once a month, my social drink during the week was once a week, maybe twice a week if a friend hosted a boozy brunch with Mimosas over a Pampered Chef or Tastefully Simple party. No biggie.

The only reason my life is different today than what it was my first year of maintenance and even before surgery is that I've been pregnant for 14 of the last 16 months HA.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views