TMI Let's Talk Constipation

hrford
on 8/1/12 8:43 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 Ok I know in advance this is going to be TMI but I just gotta get some input because I CANNOT go through another day like today.

So I had breast reduction surgery last week.  I've been taking Vicodin for the pain.  I know Vicodin causes major poo issues with me so I've been religious about taking a stool softener and miralax.  I knew I was in trouble when I hadn't pooed since last Monday.  

Today was the day of reckoning.  And it's been awful.  So much pain, like cry out loud, like I did during childbirth painful.  I think we may be over the worst and I'm done with the Vicodin.

I never had this issue after the VSG (though I had it after both my kids, and after my first I almost had to have surgery because I tore so baddly from constipation), for me coffee has worked to keep me going and the fiber I get from my veggies.

So please oh please give me advice on what I can do so I really don't ever have to go through this again.  Also how long should Icontinue the stool softener after everything seems to be back to normal?  And yes i'm also drinking copious amounts of fluids.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

acbbrown
on 8/1/12 8:50 am - Granada Hills, CA
If this is just something strictly tied to your surgery and pain meds, id just take them for another week just to make sure.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Feystorm
on 8/1/12 8:58 am - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 I have had this issue with the pain meds I am taking on a more regular basis now.  Until I got sick on Monday - I had the same problem and often would use a stool softener, and Miralax every couple of days.  I would keep it up for a little while after you stop the Vicodin.   Just to get all of the effects of that drug out of your system. 

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

jessicae
on 8/1/12 9:01 am
 Miralax 4 times a week is helping me, but i had completely horrible unspeakable issues with pain and had to see a colo rectal surgeon for them.  he gave me meds and told me if it didn't improve i would need surgery.  i said no thank you and started the miralax at 3 months post op.  that's the only thing that works for me and if i skip a day i'm supposed to ahve it, it is painfully obvious.   so sorry you are going through this.  it's horrible. 

Jessica              Surgery Date 9/29/11 Dr. Ian Soriano Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA          HW: 287 / Pre-Op: 280 / SW: 263.4 / CW: 161.6 GW: 145

Italian-Princess
on 8/1/12 9:01 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi Hrford,

I'm so sorry you're having such a bad time of it.  Once in a while I'd get constipated pre-VSG and when I did I had an almost 100% fix,   I'd mix 1/2 cup of really warm water -- barely cool enough to drink -- put in a teaspoon of lemon juice and a bit of artificial sweetener then SLAM it down.  I mean like you're having to drink that battery acid  crap they give you prior to having a colonoscopy.  Truly fill your mouth with this lemon juice mixture and then swallow hard.  If I sipped it, it didn't work.  Maybe it's getting all the hot fluid going fast.  Maybe I'm nutzzzzzz -- but it DID work.  With the sleeve, "slamming" isn't easy because we can't put that much in our tummies anymore.

Miralax has been my "pooper pusher" of choice since surgery.  My surgeon told me to take 1/2 dose and then 4 hours later, a full dose.  Seems to work in about 4-5 hours -- but make SURE you have easy access to a potty 'cuz when the dam breaks, there's no room for error!

As for how long after you get relief should you take stool softeners, I'd ask my doctor, but mine said 1/2 dose every other day.  I take it about every 3rd day -- works for me.  Again, your surgeon would be the best one to ask.

I hope you find something that works........being a croc-a-gator isn't fun at all.

Ree
Kelly-AnneH
on 8/1/12 9:01 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I'd also ask for a different pain medication.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

rhearob
on 8/1/12 10:01 am - TN
 Warm green tea often helps.  Id ask for differnet pain meds.  Maybe a home enema to get things flushed so to speak...

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Feystorm
on 8/1/12 11:22 am - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 I used to love warm green tea.  I have been drinking a fruity one lately.  Thanks for the reminder Rob - gonna go give this a try myself. :)

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

aled1223
on 8/1/12 10:06 am
 Don't mean to be gross but have you tried a suppository?  I have done that a few times to get me going.  Or even try a fleets enimma.    I know what it's like to be desperate.  

hrford
on 8/1/12 12:21 pm
VSG on 03/19/12
 That's the only thing that even made it possible.  And without being to graphic it took multiple suppositories at different times throughout the day.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 178 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views