Iiiiiiiiiii'm Back! - My Sleeve Training made my LBL easier

rhearob
on 10/17/12 1:52 am, edited 10/17/12 4:54 am - TN

First, thanks everyone for all of the well wishes over the past two weeks.

So I finally returned to work today.  I am trying to get back into all of my old habits and make each day a little more normal.  I had my final drain removed on Monday.  YAY - No more bloody grenades pinned to the inside of my clothes!  I still have quite a bit of swelling and am working my way back up to my pre-op endurance.  Right now I am only at about 60%.

So how did my sleeve make my LBL easier?  All of the rules I learned during my sleeve surgery helped me heal faster.  Heres what I learned:

1.  Walk, Walk, Walk - I started walking in the hospital the night after my 8.5 hour surgery.  The next day I walked laps around that floor at least 6 times - each time going for more laps than before.  When I got home I started walking around the house, then around the block.  I am not quite up to walking as far as I did before surgery.  The fluid starts accumulating and becoming uncomfortable so I have to stop and ice things down.  Each day I push a little bit further though.

2.  Protein - I prioritize my protein.  I am getting about 100 grams a day.  I haven't had any of the usual complications - sutures opening up and the like.  The incisions are healing very quickly.  Some of them already look very good.  I am trying to be reasonable with the calories.  The surgeon did tell me to not try and be a weight loss hero - I need calories as much as I need protein to heal.

3.  Water - I am getting as much as I can.  I definitely do NOT want my body going into the water retention mode right now.  Its 10 AM and I have already had 64 ounces.  Aiming for at least 100 ounces a day.  Hopefully I can pee out more than I drink in and get rid of some of my excess fluid more quickly.

4.  (reminded by Alison) Listen to your body.  Right now my body is burning A LOT of calories just healing.  When I feel tired I stop and rest a bit.  When I feel tension or discomfort, I back off what I am doing.  Right now its about healing, not about being an exercise or weight loss hero.  Same for you guys who are just post-op with the sleeve!

I am thinking of my LBL as an out-of-body sleeve and treating it just the same way.  So far it seems to be working for me.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/17/12 1:57 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Welcome back! Missed your posts!!! Meanwhile I am a week and a day out already post op and doing great!!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

acbbrown
on 10/17/12 2:06 am - Granada Hills, CA
Thanks for the update stranger!!!!  Glad to hear no complications so far - I'l be joining you soon :)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

rhearob
on 10/17/12 2:13 am - TN

You'll do great!

I really think that making sure I got as much protein and water as possible helped me bounce back quickly.  I know I am a bit unusual with the pain - as my support group leader makes me say actual results may vary - but I didn't have a lot.  surgery wednesday, quit narcotics Saturday, quit OTC pain meds on Tuesday.  

The swelling (esp down below when I walk too much) is worse than anything else.  Yesterday I blew up like a balloon on my afternoon walk.  Today I'll pu**** a little bit further.

acbbrown
on 10/17/12 4:30 am - Granada Hills, CA
Im reallllly not looking forward to all the swelling  - im more worried about that than the pain, especially since im cutting up my whole body!

Dont push too hard - you can still open up the incision lines.

~~~~Alison~~~~~

rhearob
on 10/17/12 4:52 am - TN

I should have included that in one of my lessons learned from the sleeve:  Listen to your body.

As soon as I feel tension or swelling I back off.  The last thing I want is an open incision!

acbbrown
on 10/17/12 12:31 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 I started freaking out after reading about someone's incisions opening up at 10 weeks out!!! I was like dammmmnnnn. 

Im gonna be a straight couch potato to avoid any openings haha.

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Nadurra Deb
on 10/17/12 2:06 am - CO
VSG on 08/06/12
Can't wait to see the results! I'm sure even swollen you already look awesome.

Debbie          

YouTube WLS Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NadurraDeb

ParisGirl
on 10/17/12 2:08 am
VSG on 04/25/13
That's great!! So happy for you!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/17/12 2:17 am
IT's great to read that you are doing so well! Gives me hope that when I finally do it, it won't be as gruesome as I am imagining! Funny, I'm more worried about getting an LBL than I was about my VSG surgery. Go figure!
Keep up the wonderful healing. You inspire me!
Most Active