Alcohol

Steph_Manitoba
on 10/18/12 1:23 am - Canada
Can and when can you drink alcohol after a VSG?  A friend is going for one and was told he could never have alcohol again. He is not a big drinker but likes to have a few drinks on special occasions.
Shagdoll
on 10/18/12 1:32 am
Hi there!
I was told by my surgeon to wait 1 year post-op but I had my first drink post-op at 9 months.  I admit that I should have followed doctor's orders just because...
Maybe one of the reasons your friend was told to cut alcohol out of his diet completely is because it can turn into a transfer addiction.  It's quite common for WLS peeps & I can see why.  We just need to be careful.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

acbbrown
on 10/18/12 1:39 am - Granada Hills, CA
It all comes down to your priorities.

How much do you value your body? The last thing you need during rapid WL is anything that is going to tax or stress the liver anymore.

How badly do you want to get to goal? Alcohol is empty calories that add up quickly - usually lowers inhibitions, end up eating/drinking more....you get the idea.

Transfer addictions are real - people who never expect it get hit by it pretty quick and then they are dealing with the consequences of tht.

So, based on all that, we all make our own decisions about when we are going to start drinking bt definitely listen to your doc.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

rhearob
on 10/18/12 1:42 am - TN

Theres several reasons to be careful with alcohol:

1.  As Jenn pointed out there can be an issue with transfer addiction

2.  Alcohol will affect you differently after VSG - you are losing a lot of weight, you have a much smaller, much more rapidly emptying stomach.  Big changes in how you process it internally.

3.  Its empty calories.  You don't need empty calories when trying to lose as much weight as you can as fast as you can.  If you are going to drink you might as well just use it to wash down a ding-dong or some twinkies.

Your friend should look for other ways to celebrate the special occasions without food and alcohol.  Those can both be reintroduced at the right time.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Kelly-AnneH
on 10/18/12 2:08 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
My surgeon recommends just staying away from alcohol, but says that if you MUST, to eat beforehand. That said, alcohol is high calorie, has no food value and makes you act stupid, so I decided to just not drink at all.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

econtiff
on 10/18/12 2:26 am - FL
VSG on 04/24/12
I'm prepared to get yelled at for this one but I have a very liberal surgeon who wants you to feel as normal as possible as soon as possible so your weight loss is a lifestyle and sustainable.

He said I could have alcohol at 2 months out. His focus is on carbs not calories so as long as you factored in the carbs, he didn't care. Not that your friend shouldn't be careful of all the other warnings.

I have a glass of wine from time to time or even a low carb mixed drink or two. Never when in stalling or anything. I'm probably not as hardcore as some people but I've really been enjoying this process. Just a different perspective.
summer24
on 10/18/12 3:03 am
I may suffer the wrath of criticism as well, but I have been in maintenance for quite some time, so I know from my own experience, alcohol is fine for me.  I do enjoy a glass of wine from time to time.  It does affect me more quickly than before but it can be because I weigh so much less or that my VSG ha something to do with it(probably a little of both).  But that is a different issue alltogether.

I do agree that alcohol is empty calories, and should be avoided while trying to reach your goal.  However if you are out for a special occasion, a glass won't make you or break you.  In maintenance, as long as you are within your calorie/carb range, you can partake more often.  Hubby and I go out to dinner every weekend, and I will have a glass of wine with dinner.

louisamay
on 10/18/12 3:07 am
VSG on 04/27/12
At my son's wedding two months out I had a little champagne.  I also had a sip of my best friend's margarita, and a sip of her mai tai.

when we go out to eat if my husband gets a drink, I have a sip or two.

When we went to a Cowboy game I bought a margarita and he drank most of it.

Every once in awhile I want some wine and have an ounce or so with cheese.

I don't think the odd sip here or there is an issue. But that's becuase it's not for ME.  I can see how it could very easily be an issue for others. 

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

AJPeezy
on 10/18/12 4:53 am - AL
VSG on 01/14/13
my doctor suggests 6 months to a year to drink alcohol but no more than a medicine cup full. im pre op and i can drink someone under the table. so once i get sleeved im gona try not to start that habit back. 
dmhe
on 10/18/12 5:09 am - TX
I think my surgeon's book said at least 3 months out.  I am almost there, but not really desiring it, so may pass since I had an extra fatty liver.  I have become the best designated driver!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views