So why can't protein drinks taste better?

Dcgirl
on 1/28/14 11:46 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

My favorites are:

Blend 8 oz of skim milk or unsweetened almond milk with a package of splenda, a scoop of chocolate protein powder, 2 tbsp of PB2...blend for a minute...then add about 4 ice cubes and blend more.

Blend 8 oz of skim milk or unsweetened almond milk with a package of splenda, a scoop of chocolate protein powder, a shot of Da Vinci sugar free mint syrup...blend for a minute...then add about 4 ice cubes and blend more.

Protein hot chocolate (especially if you are in the "polar vortex" lol) - mix a scoop of chocolate protein powder with about 1/4 cup of room temperature water.  I mix it with a whisk.  It will make kind of a paste.  Then separately add an envelope of diet Swiss Miss hot chocolate (25 calories) to almost boiling water.  Slowly stir the almost boiling hot chocolate into the protein paste stuff.  Then it doesn't get clumpy.

The book also has ideas for using sugar free pudding mixes as add-ins.

She also has an awesome blog - google bariatric foodie.

Completely changed my approach to protein shakes.  I used to gag at the thought, and now I am almost convinced I am drinking a Thin Mint ;)  (I said, almost)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 1/29/14 5:02 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
On January 29, 2014 at 7:27 AM Pacific Time, Dcgirl wrote:

For prepared protein drinks, I vote for Premier Protein - I order them on amazon.com (I am a prime member so I have free shipping).  30 g of protein for each one!  The chocolate and the vanilla are both delicious, easy to grab and go!

To make your own, buy the Bariatric Foodie guide to the perfect protein shake.  The book is probably $10 and it's AMAZING.  She has su*****redible recipes and tips to make them delicious.  I used to shake up powder with either water or skim milk and BLECH.  I learned from her how to make them thicker or thinner, cold or hot.

Also, PB2 is powdered peanut butter and if you add it to a shake, it's delicious.  It's also about 45 calories for 2 tbsp and has much less fat than peanut butter :)

What she said.

I bought the Bariatric Foodie Guide to the Perfect Protein Shake before surgery.  When I start getting burned out on a particular shake, I refer back to the book and find something new to try.  I use the Premier Protein shakes and add one tablespoon of sugar free, fat free Jello pudding plus ice cubes to alter the taste and consistency.  Also try using Torani sugar free syrups.  And the PB2 is awesome in a chocolate shake with banana cream pudding - Oh, bliss!

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

michellebrad
on 1/28/14 11:47 pm - Eastlake, OH

so far I've tried Unjury and syntrax nectars.. both are pretty good, but the syntrax nectars are so fruity, and there's a huge variety!  I went to mybariatricpantry.com and ordered a sample packet.  They also let you sort of customize the packet too, so if you know you hate cappucino, you can ask them to leave that one out... or if there is one flavor that you really want to try, you can request that they make sure it's in your packet.  They have SUPER fast shipping too.  I love it! :)

Highest weight: 389   Weight at day of surgery: 370   Surgery Date: 2/19/14

Miss150
on 1/28/14 11:48 pm

Try the Complete Nutrition (can access on line- they will ship for free)  Ask for their low carb-high protein shake mix. about 4 carbs/20g.pro/and 120 cal.  Love the chocolate and vanilla.  Use PB2- SF pudding- unsweetetened cocoa- instant coffee decaf- etc to mix it up.  About 10-12 oz water, 3-4 ice cubes, the stuff in a rocket ---Yum.

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

snowiekate
on 1/28/14 11:53 pm, edited 1/28/14 11:53 pm - FL

I had a hard time with protein drinks pre-surgery, but AFTER - my "go to" is the Celebrate Vitamins Cake Batter flavor, mixed with unsweetened almond milk. PB2 (peanut butter powder) or regular coffee are nice mix-ins. You can order single-serve packs to try from their website at http://www.celebratevitamins.com. I order the tubs from Amazon, since shipping is cheaper. :) 

Another favorite is CLICK espresso - they do mocha, vanilla, and even decaf. Sometimes I mix a scoop of decaf mocha with my Celebrate for added flavor. Also available on Amazon, though I have gotten single packs at The Vitamin Shoppe.

Lastly, the Syntrax Nectar series has great flavors for a protein kick with no carbs. I ordered a "sample pack" from mybariatricpantry.com.

Good luck!

~ snowiekate

High 307.2, Pre-liquid: 290.3, Surgery: 282.6

Surgery date May 31, with Dr. Radecke (Riverside Surgical in Sebastian, FL)

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/14 12:07 am

Costco's chocolate Premier Protein are good.I add decaf coffee to it. I also make sugar free hot chocolate and put protein powder in it. I like the ones that are pre-made they make life easier.

Gwen M.
on 1/29/14 12:28 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I use this stuff with unsweetened original flavor Almond Milk, and I actually think it's really tasty -- http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Double-Choc olate/dp/B000QSNYGI/

I don't have a surgery date yet, but I've switched my breakfast and lunch out for these shakes and haven't felt deprived. :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

AllisonKara
on 1/29/14 1:43 am

I prefer natural protein supplements. Fresh fruits, meat, fresh vegetables are the best  source of proteins. You can opt for protein shakes if it suits you or is convenient.

Lisa1023
on 1/29/14 5:32 am
VSG on 03/05/13

bad advice....  a banana has 1 gram of protein, an orange has 1 gram of protein.  Should we eat 50 oranges a day?  lol    a half-cup of broccoli has 2 grams of protein. 

considering one banana fills most of us who had surgery, this is not the best advice.

HW  383     SW  371    CW   234     

puffierus
on 1/29/14 2:56 am - PA

DRINK YOUE SHAKE THRU A WATER BOTTLE OR SOMTHING WITH A LID IF YOU CAN NOT SMELL THE WHEY IT WILL TASTE BETTER.  I REDUCE THE WATER TO  4 OZ AND MAKE A PUDDING, I FIND IT EASIER TO EAT 4 OZ OF PUDDING THAN DRINK 8 OZ OF SHAKE

I like Isopure can't beat the  40 grams of protein but it is not for everyone.  Ensure make a high protein  25g chocolate shake that is good.

HW 268   SW219   CW 181.2 surgery date 10/31/2013

:<span class=

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views