Any tips on surviving a cruise after VSG?

angieg0410
on 4/14/14 1:25 am - OK

I am 2 years out - VSG April 2012.  We are taking a cruise in June.  How do you stay focused on healthy eating when there is constant food around?  I am going to indulge in a little, but want to keep it in check.  Ideas?

~Angie~

Starting weight: 267
Goal weight: 140

beemyne7
on 4/14/14 1:34 am - Canada

I went crusing a few years ago with Holland America, it was fabulous!!

We were served 2 food choices, one was always a healthier option. I actualy lost weight because I kept moving! Walking the decks, dancing, going on shore and walking all over the place...I just moved!!!

I ate good and heathy, splurged when I wanted....you will too. Have fun and don't worry, you'll be fine...you know what to do!!!!

Beemyne7   broken heart 

Shagdoll
on 4/14/14 1:37 am

OMG, I went on my first cruise at 2 years out and it was haaaaaard!!!  But so enjoyable.  :)

I put on a few pounds for that cruise but the good thing is IF you get back on track when you get back, you can more than likely lose it as fast as you put it on.  So ... be one of those people who get the few pounds off immediately.  Believe me, you will not be sorry!!!

I still think it's best to focus on protein first.  Even with the buffets, it's easy to eat what we should & then if you want to "indulge" you probably wont have much room in your sleeve to do a lot of damage.  I believe in enjoying yourself for vacations like this but remember our WL journey in the process.  Cruise ships usually have a gym (not sure you have to pay additionally) but you can still do plenty of walking.  Drink lots of water, that will help too!

Have fun!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

angieg0410
on 4/14/14 1:47 am - OK

I am planning to walk the track on board each morning and choose the proteins first at the buffet.  I don't drink, so the alcohol won't be an issue.  I think it will be doable.  :)

~Angie~

Starting weight: 267
Goal weight: 140

Lemily
on 4/14/14 1:47 am
VSG on 01/16/14

Great post! I am going on a cruise NEXT april and i will be 15 months out by that point.

cappy11448
on 4/14/14 2:44 am

I hope you have a wonderful time.  I think you'll do fine with the food, especially if you can get back on plan when you return. 

I'm going on a cruise in early May seeing Greece, Turkey and Israel.  I am so excited. I know it will be a challenge with the wonderful food.  But I plan on eating proteins first, and then if I indulge, do it on a nearly full tummy so I can use my restriction to help me. 

I know I'll be doing a lot of walking, and I know I can get back on plan when I get home.  So I'm just going to enjoy myself while I'm away.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Lisa J.
on 4/14/14 3:56 am - OK

You'll be surrounded by food you CAN eat! Cheeses, meats, veggies, fish and shellfish, cottage cheese, ahhhhhh sounds delightful! I might not want to sit down and have a fancy meal on a ship because you might feel wasteful, but the buffet style stuff will suit you to a T. I might even suggest baggies to take something with you if you're doing some off-ship adventures. You're already aware of your eating schedule being 2 years out--and what you need to keep handy etc.

You've got this!

Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
Scott S.
on 4/14/14 5:20 am - TX

I'm going later this year and posted the same question... here are some tips that I picked up:

• Eat at the buffet.  That way you get to pick what goes on your plate.
  • The portions are usually smaller on a cruise at dinner
  • Grab a water bottle to have with you and any mixers (like Crystal Light)
  • Bring protein powder on excursions

There were a few others, but those are the ones I remember being th emost impactful for sure.

Good luck and let everyone know how it goes!

Scott

VSG: 8/8/13 

pieg00
on 4/14/14 8:00 am

I went on a 2 week cruise in Feb and actually lost 8 lbs. Was very active, drank a lot of water and ice tea. Always ate protein first. Plenty of on plan choices. Biggest tip - the cruise is about fun not food!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views