Chicken Crusted Asian Veggie PizzaApril 6, 2015
From being a bariatric dietitian for 15 years, I've learned that bariatric eating doesn't require reinventing the wheel. Many times, you can take a recipe and adjust the ingredients to make it bariatric friendly, like I did with the Veggie Pizza below. You'll find on Inside Karen's Kitchen there are many bariatric friendly recipes. I hope you enjoy the Chicken Crusted Asian Veggie Pizza!
Recipe for Chicken Crusted Asian Veggie Pizza
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp grated fresh ginger or 1/2 tsp ground dried ginger
1/4 tsp each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
1 pound lean ground chicken
2 Tbsp oyster sauce
2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
1-2 tsp chili paste, to taste
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 cup grated carrots
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 Tbsp sliced green onion
2 Tbsp chopped peanuts
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet or pizza stone with parchment paper.
2. Combine garlic, ginger, salt, pepper and chicken in medium bowl; mix to combine. Spread chicken mixture onto the prepared pan, spreading thin, about 1/4-inch thick and forming a rectangle or circle. Bake for 10 minutes or until cooked all the way through.
3. In the meantime, combine the sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan and place over medium high heat; stir to combine until sauce is slightly thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
4. Spread sauce over baked chicken crust. Arrange topping ingredients over sauce.
5. Bake in oven for another 5-10 minutes or until vegetables are slightly browned. Allow to cool slightly. Cut into wedges and serve with a fork!
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION for 1 piece
Calories per piece: 94
Fat: 2.4 grams
Sodium: 353 mg
Carbohydrates: 4.9 grams
Protein: 14 grams
Originally Published on Inside Karen’s Kitchen, reprint shared with permission of Karen Mangum, MS, RDN, LD.
ABOUT THE AUTHORKaren Mangum, MS, RDN, LD a licensed, bariatric registered dietitian, is a seasoned recipe developer and healthy food blogger in addition to her work as a bariatric dietitian. Karen has been counseling bariatric patients for over 15 years and currently works for St. Luke’s Medical Center Bariatric Surgery Program in Boise, Idaho. She started her blog, Inside Karen’s Kitchen, as a way to preserve her family’s recipes and to share the bariatric recipes.
Read more articles by Karen Magnum!
|Recipe Disclaimer: If you have specific dietary restrictions, allergies or a nutrition plan that you are following, make sure to read the ingredient list prior to consumption. All information on ObesityHelp.com is intended for informational purposes only. The information is not intended to be a replacement or substitute for consultation with a qualified medical professional. Please contact a medical professional with any questions and concerns.|