Chicken Veggie-Noodle Soup Recipe: Comfort Food Made HealthyJanuary 15, 2021
Spiralized veggies aren't going away anytime soon, and this is one trend we love. In fact, we've made this Chicken Veggie-Noodle Soup with low-carb zucchini strands! Who says soup is a winter-only staple? You'll wanna eat this all year long. It is chicken noodle soup as a comfort food made healthy!
Chicken Veggie-Noodle Soup
Recipe by: Lisa Lillien (a.k.a. Hungry Girl)
Makes 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes; Cook Time: 3 - 4 hours or 7 - 8 hours, plus 10 minutes
- 1 lb. raw boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved
- 1/4 tsp. each salt and black pepper
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tsp. chopped garlic
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 14 oz. (about 2 medium) zucchini
- Optional seasonings: additional salt and black pepper
- Place chicken in a slow cooker, and season with salt and pepper. Add all remaining ingredients except zucchini. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 - 4 hours or on low for 7 - 8 hours, until chicken is fully cooked and veggies are softened.
- Meanwhile, using a spiral vegetable slicer, cut zucchini into spaghetti-like noodles. (If you don’t have a spiral veggie slicer, peel zucchini into super-thin strips, rotating the zucchini after each strip.) Roughly chop for shorter noodles.
- If cooking at high heat, decrease heat to low. Remove and discard bay leaves. Transfer chicken to a large bowl. Shred chicken with two forks -- one to hold the chicken in place and the other to scrape across and shred it. Return to the slow cooker.
- Stir in zucchini noodles, re-cover, and cook for 10 minutes, or until noodles have slightly softened.
Nutritional Info Per Serving
Calories 98; Carbohydrates 5 grams; Fat 2 grams; Protein 14.5 grams
ABOUT THE AUTHORLisa Lillien (a.k.a. Hungry Girl) is the creator of the Hungry Girl brand. She is the founder of www.Hungry-Girl.com, the free daily email service that entertains and informs hungry people everywhere. More than 1,000,000 fans eagerly wait for Hungry Girl’s recipes, food finds, and tips & tricks each weekday.
Read more articles by Lisa!
|Recipe Disclaimer: If you have specific dietary restrictions, allergies or a nutrition plan that you are following, make sure to read the ingredient list prior to consumption. All information on ObesityHelp.com is intended for informational purposes only. The information is not intended to be a replacement or substitute for consultation with a qualified medical professional. Please contact a medical professional with any questions and concerns.|