Crustless Protein Pumpkin Pie Recipe: 84 Calories & WLS-Friendly!November 22, 2017
This Crustless Protein Pumpkin Pie is a fantastic recipe that is very satisfying from the creamy flavor of pumpkin, only much healthier because it is made with your favorite brand of protein shake and protein powder. You won't miss the crust since the protein pumpkin pie is so delicious. You can serve it as a WLS pouch-friendly dessert or planned snack that anyone will enjoy.
You can also switch it up and experiment with the flavors of protein powders and protein shakes that you use such as cinnamon or caramel. It is a recipe that is delicious and customizable for your favorite flavors.
Pumpkin is low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol, and Sodium. It is also a good source of Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Iron, Magnesium and Phosphorus, and an excellent source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Riboflavin, Potassium, Copper, and Manganese.
When you think of pumpkin pie, it is usually during the Holidays. However, since this recipe bypasses the regular sugar used to make a traditional pumpkin pie plus no extra carbs from a crust, this recipe makes it a healthy option to enjoy anytime throughout the year.
Crustless Protein Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Makes 8 servings
(The color and texture may vary a bit depending on the brands of proteins you opt to use)
- 15-ounce can 100% pumpkin puree
- 11-ounce carton vanilla protein shake
- 1 scoop or packet vanilla protein powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Low-calorie sweetener to taste (optional)
- Sugar-free whipped topping (optional)
Directions for Crustless Protein Pumpkin Pie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix pumpkin puree, protein shake, protein powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice until evenly mixed. Taste the mixture and add sweetener if desired.
- When pumpkin mixture is at the desired taste, mix the eggs into the pumpkin mixture.
- Spray 7” to 9” diameter pie dish or cooking vessel with cooking spray and pour filling in in it. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 50 minutes.
- Cool for 1 hour, then refrigerate or slice into 8 servings.
Nutritional Info Per Serving*
Calories 84; Protein 11 grams; Carbohydrates 5 grams; Fat 2 grams; Fiber 2 grams; Sugar 3 grams
(*Information provided does not include the sugar-free whipped topping)
ABOUT THE AUTHORJason Holden has been a registered dietitian at Loma Linda University Health since 2009. He completed his bachelor’s degree in clinical nutrition at University of California, Davis in 2008 and his dietetic internship at Brigham & Women’s Hospital in 2009. After working at Loma Linda University Medical Center for several years, he went on to earn a master’s degree in nutrition education from Framingham State University in 2015.
Read more articles from Jason!
|Recipe Disclaimer: If you have specific dietary restrictions, allergies or a nutrition plan that you are following, make sure to read the ingredient list prior to consumption. All information on ObesityHelp.com is intended for informational purposes only. The information is not intended to be a replacement or substitute for consultation with a qualified medical professional. Please contact a medical professional with any questions and concerns.|