Healthy Queso Dip RecipeMarch 18, 2022
This healthy queso dip tastes amazing. It has all the flavor and none of the guilt! Make this dip with sharp cheddar and jalapenos, you won't regret it.
It is the ultimate lightened-up queso dip that's made with real ingredients (no Velveeta here) and tons of flavor. This healthier cheese dip is the perfect addition to any football, party spread, or to use on whatever you want.
I adapted this recipe from one that was passed around between friends, adding lots more spice.
If you don’t want it quite as spicy, eliminate the jalapeno.
Healthy Queso Dip
Recipe by: Kristen McCaffrey of Slender Kitchen
Makes 12 Servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes; Cook Time: 15 minutes, Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cup skim milk
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- 1 3/4 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese (I prefer sharp cheddar)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup milk with 3 tbsp of cornstarch. Set aside, this will serve as the thickener.
- Bring a medium to large saucepan up to medium heat and spray non-fat cooking spray. Add the onions, garlic, poblano, and jalapeno and cook for 5-7 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the chicken broth and milk. Bring to a simmer and let cook for about 3 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the pan and stir quickly. It will immediately thicken up and begin to bubble. Once you see it thicken up, turn the heat to low. Add the cheese and stir until it melts completely.
- Add the cheese and stir until it melts completely. Then add the tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Optional: Serve with homemade baked tortilla chips. To cook, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut corn tortillas in 1/4′s and place onto a sheet of parchment paper. Spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt. Cook for 10-15 minutes until crispy.
Calories 75; Carbohydrates 4.2 grams; Fat 2.7 grams, Protein 4.5 grams
Check out more recipes from Slender Kitchen on ObesityHelp!
ABOUT THE AUTHORKristen McCaffrey makes a variety of healthy and delicious recipes that she shares on her website, SlenderKitchen.com. Before diving into the world of healthy cooking, she struggled to lose weight, eat well, and find a healthy balance in her life. She has always been in love with food and enjoys healthy recipe development. Kristen is passionate about cooking and creating delicious recipes that encourage other people to eat healthy. See more recipes from Kristen!
|Recipe Disclaimer: If you have specific dietary restrictions, allergies or a nutrition plan that you are following, make sure to read the ingredient list prior to consumption. All information on ObesityHelp.com is intended for informational purposes only. The information is not intended to be a replacement or substitute for consultation with a qualified medical professional. Please contact a medical professional with any questions and concerns.|