Where do I start?

GrammaT
on 7/27/17 8:00 am

Hi I am wondering how do i start this journey. Thank you for your advice

Kristi T.
on 7/27/17 8:52 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

For me, the first three steps I took was to check with my insurance company on what and who they will cover. Second I made an appt. with my PCP to talk about WLS. Then I contacted the only two Bariatric Clinics in my state and had them send me every bit of information they could, and the research began:-)

Writergurl08
on 7/27/17 9:38 am, edited 7/27/17 2:39 am
RNY on 02/15/18

I first checked with my insurance to see what was covered, and what their requirements were (6 months of doctor-supervised attempt to lose/maintain and follow a healthy diet on my own, psych evaluation, regular followup with Bariatric team). If insurance doesn't cover, then you can self-pay, and you'll still have to follow the surgeons requirements for pre-op evaluations.

I then contacted my PCP to begin the required 6 month evaluation (just started this, so my journey has only begun). I also contacted a Bariatric surgical center in my city, and they sent me an information packet, forms to take with me to my monthly doctor appointments, and set up a consult with a surgeon.

do a lot of research about the different kinds of WLS, and the complications, success rates, and post-op restrictions of each.

GrammaT
on 7/27/17 11:00 am

Thank you for the replies. Is the wait for OHIP to pay really long? I'm making a dr. appointment tomorrow. It's time to start living lo

gbears
on 7/27/17 3:27 pm

Hi Gramma T. The wait for OHIP is around 9-18 months depending on the center that you are assigned to. While it may seem like a long wait it is important to make sure that you are ready for the surgery and are prepared to use the tool effectively. The Ontario Bariatric Network has excellent success rates and it is likely tied to the screening and preparation that comes with the process, as well as the support following surgery.

Remember we spent a long time getting ourselves to this size so a bit of wait is worth making sure you are positioned the best you can be to make sure your surgery is a success.

Be sure to come on by the Ontario forum for Ontario specific support. There are also support groups for most of the areas. I am personally going through the Steps. Joe's Hamilton location and just waiting for my surgery date.

Lap Band - 07/08 (not filled long) Referral OBN 04/16, Orientation 09/16, Nutrition Workshop 4/7/17, Nurse 4/24/17, Psych 5/15/17, Dietician 5/24/17, Internist 6/13/17 Consent 7/10/17 Surgery 9/29/2017

HW 4/17: 267 Opti Start 9/16/17: 254 Surgery 9/29: 240.8 M1:-18 M2:-14 M3:-9 M4:-5 M5:-6

GrammaT
on 7/27/17 4:29 pm

Thanks gbear Im definatly going to the ontario forum to get provice specific info. Everyone here is so helpful.This is a huge decision for me and I need to get moving on it.

oneatatime
on 7/28/17 8:55 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Congratulations on deciding to even look into Bariatric surgery!! We're really lucky in Ontario. We have great surgical teams all throughout the province. Like gbears said, you will get really specific information and support over on the Ontario forum on this board.

I am going through Toronto, and it's been amazing. It all starts with a referral from you doctor, and it's all covered by OHIP. Once your doctor sends in the referral, you will be sent a letter (a few weeks later) inviting you to an orientation meeting. You will learn lots more about the process at that meeting.

Anything you want to know in advance, we can share with you over on Ontario. See you there! We look forward to getting to know you and sharing your journey!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Kathy S.
on 7/27/17 2:43 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Congratulations on taking control of your life and your weight loss journey. We suggest you research all your options for WLS and OH is the right place for that. Once you have reviewed your options surgery wise and decided on one then your next step is to find a surgeon. We can help you with that. Here are some links that will be helpful in your research.

General information:

About Obesity
About Weight Loss Surgery
Medical Necessity
BMI Calculator
Health Tracker

If you have not done so, contact your insurance company and verify if they cover WLS and if so what procedures and if there are any pre-op qualifications.? If you have Medicaid and or Medicare, contact them to verify if they cover WLS, if so, what procedures and if there are any pre-surgery qualifications you have to meet. Ask for a list of surgeons in your area that take your insurance as there are less and less surgeons that are taking Medicaid and Medicare. Let us know if you need anything else.

Regards,

Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/17 3:42 am

Hi grammat...I'm new as well and just had my first appt with my surgeon. I'm already facing some possible obstacles but happy to be starting the journey! I'm willing to share the journey with you!

GrammaT
on 7/28/17 7:27 am

I'm at the very beginning. Making the decision to actually go forward with WLS. I would like to share our journey . I hope you are able to iver come the obstacles .don't get discouraged. ?

Most Active