One more reason not to get the lap band...

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/08 11:00 am - TX
On August 10, 2008 at 5:57 PM Pacific Time, Pam L. wrote:
Well, if it has become a contest, then you win. Congratulations!
Thank you.  Thank you very much.  I certainly did.
LeaAnn
on 8/10/08 10:58 am - Huntsville, AL

Yeh, I'm bored with Pam now.  I'm gonna go make me a big plate of FOOD!  Mwuahahahaha!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f2/Lamb_chops_with_mash.JPG

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/08 12:46 pm - TX
How was that burrito and big bowl of ice cream?  YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Ain't it great to be able to eat and be a normal weight?
LeaAnn
on 8/11/08 3:59 am - Huntsville, AL

How'd you know what I ate???  You got one-way mirrors in my house????  hahaha!

Yes, it is great to be able to eat a BIG BOWL OF ICECREAM with HERSHEYs SYRUP and still be a normal weight.  The DS is a miracle!!!!!!!!! 

LeaAnn
on 8/10/08 10:46 am - Huntsville, AL

Here's her some numbers:

Not only does the lapband just not work worth a crap for over half the people that get it, 1 in 10 (at LEAST) will develop SEVERE LONGTERM COMPLICATIONS.  These late complications lead to reoperations in up to 20% of the patients.:

AbstractObjective:The objective of this study was to evaluate the results of laparoscopic gastric banding using 2 different bands (the Lapband [Bioenterics, Carpinteria, CA] and the SAGB [Swedish Adjustable Gastric Band; Obtech Medical, 6310 Zug, Switzerland]) in terms of weight loss and correction of comorbidities, short-and long-term complications, and improvement of quality of life in morbidly obese patientsSummary Background Data:During the past 10 years, gastric banding has become 1 of the most common bariatric procedures, at least in Europe and Australia. Weight loss can be excellent, but it is not sufficient in a significant proportion of patients, and a number of long-term complications can develop. We hypothesized that the type of band could be of importance in the outcome.Methods:One hundred eighty morbidly obese patients were randomly assigned to receive the Lapband or the SAGB. All the procedures were performed by the same surgeon. The primary end point was weight loss, and secondary end points were correction of comorbidities, early- and long-term complications, importance of food restriction, and improvement of quality of life.Results:Initial weight loss was faster in the Lapband group, but weight loss was eventually identical in the 2 groups. There was a trend toward more early band-related complications and more band infections with the SAGB, but the study had limited power in that respect. Correction of comorbidities, food restriction, long-term complications, and improvement of quality of life were identical. Only 55% to 60% of the patients achieved an excess weight loss of at least 50% in both groups. There was no difference in the incidence of long-term complications. Conclusions:Gastric banding can be performed safely with the Lapband or the SAGB with similar short- and midterm results with respect to weight loss and morbidity. Only 50% to 60% of the patients will achieve sufficient weight loss, and close to 10% at least will develop severe long-term complications.

Lapband commonly reported long-term complications are band slippage with or without pouch dilatation, band erosion (migration of the band into the stomach), band or port infection, and leaks from the band, port, or connecting tube. Overall, late morbidity affects between 6% and 25% of the patients in series including more than 100 patients. The frequency of each of these complications varies among series. For instance, band slippage occurs at rates between 0.6% and 20%, band erosion at rates between 0% and 11%, and leaks at rates between 1.4% and 26%. These late complications lead to reoperations in up to 20% of the patients.

Lori Black
on 8/11/08 10:56 am - , IN
Good one, Dawn!  I was thinkin' the same damned thing!
Valerie G.
on 8/10/08 10:05 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
When 50% EWL is considered successful, it's easy to call it effective, isn't it?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

LeaAnn
on 8/10/08 10:24 am - Huntsville, AL
Yes, you do -- you just listed your reasons for not having the DS in a post near the end of this thread.  This is the same thing the OP did regarding the lapband.  We are allowed to have an opinion.  Too bad if you don't like it.
Pam M.
on 8/10/08 10:41 am - WA
Yes, I have listed reasons why I chose the lap band for ME, why other surgeries were not for ME personally. But I have yet to attack a single person for their choice. Because we are all in the same boat, looking for an answer to our weight problems. Who am I to question the choice that another person felt was right for them? 

~My story on my revision to RNY from the lap-band is in my profile~

Elizabeth N.
on 8/11/08 9:28 am - Burlington County, NJ
You check back with us in five years and let us know how satisfied you are with your results. THEN your word will mean something. Right now you're a newborn babe with your procedure. Things start looking different as time goes by. You find out for real whether you've made a choice you can live with successfully.
Most Active
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 1 replies · 20 views
Recent Topics
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 1 replies · 20 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1093 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1269 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 519 views