on 5/6/13 10:00 pm, edited 5/8/13 9:03 pm - St Louis , MO
DS on 03/26/13

Irishnurse
on 5/7/13 12:06 am
DS on 04/17/13
xr7conv
on 5/7/13 1:09 am - Omaha, NE
DS on 01/16/13

Sorry you had the bad experience with her.  I am not a customer of theirs - for no particular reason.  I have talked with many about the vitamins and it really doesn't have to be that hard.  I can tell you what I have done and please let me say I am only about 4 months out.

The good news is that the lack of vitamins we need gives us plenty of warning.  It isn't so bad that if we miss a pill for a couple days or even longer we will just fall over dead.  Monitoring is the key.  I started with where my surgeon said to start and I am being followed up by another DS surgeon's office because of where I live (traveled to have surgery due to self pay).  These two surgeons were not far apart in what they recommended.  At 3 months had blood tests and that indicated that all was pretty good.  Needed some iron so I added that.  It was just a little low.  Will continue from there.

It doesn't have to involve earning a degree in anything or spending days and weeks worrying over it.  Follow the plan you choose and do the blood tests and adjust.  Now I will say again I am not an "expert" in vitamins and/or nutrition.  So this is all just my opinion but just as valid as many opinions.  If you had a bad experience with VitaLady you don't have to do business with her.  There are many places to get the supplements.  Find one you like with good quality and service.

Don't get down on the DS because of this one experience.  It is not that hard.  It is important, very important to get the nutrition that we need.  Just monitor and adjust.  

Good luck and I can tell you are trying hard.  This would not have affected you so deeply if you didn't care.  Don't let a bad day or a bad experience throw you for a loop.  Catch yourself and keep on plugging along.  I will be praying for you.

Dave

"Let us not glide through this world and then slip quietly into
heaven, without having blown the trumpet loud and long for our
Redeemer, Jesus Christ. Let us see to it that the devil will hold a
thanksgiving service in hell, when he gets the news of our departure from the field of battle." - C. T. Studd

MajorMom
on 5/7/13 1:59 am - VA

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. Here are the 2 links that might help. One is for chewables that you might want to do in the early days and the other is the DS schedule.

Many surgeon's offices don't have a good vitamin plan to follow, don't feel too bad about that. Chalk the other up to her trying to multitask when she had way too much going on at once. I'm sorry though.

--gina

http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_ BPDDS3-2010.pdf
http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramChewable2- 2010.pdf

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Huneypie
on 5/7/13 2:57 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

You want to take Colorado Biolabs Proferrin and/or 60mg capsule of carbonyl iron with C (5 capsules of the latter) if you're after tablets.  The carbonyl (AKA Tender Iron) gave me cramps.  You can't get Proferrin in the UK so hopefully someone else can chime in.

I take liquid ferrous furmarate 560mg but that's full of sugar and stains your teeth (liquid is easier on the stomach).  Otherwise infusions are the way to go (I'm hoping to get referred for those in the next few months).

If you don't get much response on this thread you may want start one on iron.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Mary_J
on 5/7/13 3:14 am

Ok, it appears you've gotten all kinds of answers to your question of what to order from other posters, so why didn't you just ask here first? I think it's rather bold to think that a retailer is OBLIGATED to tell you what to buy. Granted, she graciously does this, although she DOES NOT HAVE TO. She doesn't charge people for her time, and half of them get advice from her and then go buy it on Amazon - how fair is that? You PAID for your surgeons program - so use it. You get Vitalady's advice free (which is also better advice than your surgeon's likely is), and you complain because she didn't serve you in the way you think you deserve? She is a President and owner of a company - how many of them take calls to advise what to buy of their products? Have you tried calling, let alone gotten through to, the president of any other companies?

You maybe didn't sign up to be a chemist or pharmacist, but she didn't start her business to be a medical advisor - she's a retailer. The rest she does because she's a kind and helpful person.

5' 5" -  317.5 / 132 / 134  SW / CW / GW

southernlady5464
on 5/7/13 5:16 am

I'm sorry you felt that it was wrong...but she is a busy lady trying to run a retail business AND keep on top of her own (NON-WLS related) health issues.

Had you asked here first as to what to use, you would have gotten help here. Gina (majormom) has the links to her list and so do I.

And while not being a chemist or a pharmacist, you really need to know why you have to take something that affects your health. For the vast majority of us, following our surgeon's/staff advice is the same as slowly committing suicide...your surgeon is a cutter, not a nutritionist.

And I saw your surgery listed as a VSG...was it revised to a DS?

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

cajungirl
on 5/7/13 6:10 am

I've never had a bad experience with vitalady.  In fact, she's been very helpful to me anytime I asked her questions or for help.  She's called me before after e-mailing back and forth to be sure I'm ok and that all my questions were answered.  I was absolutely grateful for that call and never expected to receive it.   What busy business owner goes above and beyond like that?

I'm sorry you were upset.  Is it possible you caught her at a a bad time?  Maybe you took her tone incorrectly?  I'm not sure what happened.....however, it is very important that you understand your vitamin needs, your health depends on it.  If your surgeon is anything like the majority he is a cutter and knows little to nothing about supplementing.  If I had listened to my surgeon on what to take I probably would be in a heap of trouble today.

Now my suggestion is if you don't have copies of your labs get copies.  Prepare a spreadsheet and look at trends and ask questions on OH and other message boards (you may participate in).....there is a wealth of information available to be shared from others that have been there, done that.

Good luck!

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

leanmama
on 5/7/13 9:26 am - St Louis , MO
DS on 03/26/13

Spread sheet, what is that and how in the heck to you do that?

beemerbeeper
on 5/7/13 6:45 am - AL

I'm sorry you had that experience.  I'm not sure she's well.

But nevertheless not a way to run a business or speak with a customer.

I follow her plan but get my advice from Major Mom (Gina).   You might ask her if she will help you.  She has always been there to help me.  With every labs she advises me as I have no one else who can.

~Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views