Race Day Nutrition & Energy Gels

heatherambrosia
on 7/8/12 11:47 am - GA
Hey all!

I've just finished cto5k and I have a 5k in two weeks, another in a month and a mini tri (250 yrd swim, 9 mile bike, 2 mile run) planned in October.

So far, I've been running so early in the AM, about 515, I don't eat before. But, on weekend runs where I'm up for a bit and then run by 730 or so, I find between the heat and my body knowing we're awake and should be eating, I'm not sure how to time my mornings food-wise.

What do you all do? Also, are there any roux en y (I tend to sugar dump) friendly energy gels out there? Thanks!
SW 343, Current below, Goal 160 & to start a family!11978920
acbbrown
on 7/8/12 12:42 pm - Granada Hills, CA
Before I do a 5K/10K race, I usually have some toast with peanut butter and maybe a piece of fruit.  I dont usually eat anything specific before my normal workouts as long as Ive had some form of carbs during the day (i do usually have some fruit in the afternoon and workout after work). 

I can't run with food in my stomach so if I dont eat at least an hour before, I'd rather not eat. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

DANCBJAMMIN
on 7/8/12 1:02 pm - Fort Worth, TX
A lot of it is going to be trial and error. Maybe a banana or a spoon of peanut butter! I like Hammer products and have never had a problem with them as they use all natural products. Try some on an evening where you are not going out and see if they give you problems. I also like Stinger Gels, but I am almost 5 years out and can pretty much handle anything...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

heatherambrosia
on 7/8/12 9:24 pm - GA
Cool ... thanks guys!

I'm with you that I don't like to eat then run immediately, but on race "practice days", it does take me a while get on the road. Then on a real race day, I know from going with my husband, he's up and moving around for about 2 hours before the race. I'll try the PB on toast and Hammer products to see how that goes.

Thanks for the advice!
SW 343, Current below, Goal 160 & to start a family!11978920
Most Active