Fenugreek vs Reglan

Colleen S.
on 8/13/08 12:50 pm - Brazil, IN
From being on this board I have noticed these are the top 2 things women on here use to increase their milk supply.

Can I begin to take it before delivery or do I NEED to wait until after delivery?

Which one is better and why?

Where should I purchase Fenugreek at?  I hate having to remember to take pills and from what I hae ready it wants you to take a bunch.  Can I get fenugreek in concentrate formula so I don't have to deal w/ so many pills? 

Has anyone on this board had depression from the Reglan as I read that is a side effect.

Any information on the 2 products are welcome!!  Thanks in advance!!!!

Also if anyone has used Domperidone I'd love more information on that.  On kellymom.com it says it's used in Canada and I may have to order it from there, but it's also the Safest.  Where can I purchase this at???
BethD
on 8/13/08 1:06 pm - Winder, GA
Hi Colleen, it has been a long time for me but I did end up with major depression fron the Reglan was taken off  and then took the fenugreek and I am pretty sure you don't start taking it until your milk comes in or even when it seems to be less than it should be! I took pill form in the fenugreek and am not sure what types are out there! I am sure you will get the answers you need on here!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Jonesni
on 3/21/19 11:59 am, edited 3/21/19 5:01 am

I've used Reglan and then when it didn't work I switched to Domperidone. It does not cross the blood brain barrier, so is safe and causes no side effects. Reglan, however, does cross the BBB, and that is why there are so many bad side effects (psychological type side effects). If you were lucky enough to get a script for Dom, you should count yourself fortunate and keep going with it!

Jen Jen J.
on 8/13/08 1:37 pm - Houston, TX

DO NOT TAKE ANY OF THEM BEFORE DELIVERY!!!!!

I've taken Fenugreek, Mother's Tea, More Milk Plus Special Blend and Reglan.

I had to take at least 12 fenugreek pills per day. 

Reglan did not cause depression for me - but I do not have a personal history with that medical problem. 

Mother's Tea was a waste of my time and money.

I took the More Milk Special Blend and Reglan together for a while and then just the Reglan - in liquid form.

Personally, the Reglan in liquid form was the easiest and least expensive for me.  My insurance paid all but a few dollars on the.

There was a lady who used to post that used the Domperidone - I had heard that you can have it compounded at a compounding pharmacy.

God Bless! Jen 
Mark 9:37a
"Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me."

Cira S.
on 8/13/08 1:43 pm - Charles Town , WV
Hi there,

Do not take any meds until after your milk has come in and you need to establish your breastfeeding first. so maybe after a month or two.

The fenugreek you can buy at GNC.

I never used reglan. I use Milk Thistle and Fenugreek and I eat oatmeal and I drink a lot of fluids.
Nilk thistle I buy it at walmart and it is inexpensive.

Good luck with everything.

I am who I am and accept my feelings wholeheartedly.
Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind.

Cira 249/144.0 current/goal 154/ 5'3" 10 lbs below my Dr's goal
100Cira-1.jpg picture by negra266

laurexler
on 8/13/08 10:56 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
I took both, but not until after 3 weeks when it was shown that Gabi was losing weight and I wasn't producing enough for her.  I took Fenugreek in More Milk Special Blend and the liquid form of Reglan.  Both together helped increase my supply to where I could nurse 50% of the time.

Usually the Reglan is not used if there is a history of depression.  I didn't get depressed per say, but after being on it for 2 months I started to feel like everything I did was an effort, even changing a diaper. 

Good luck!  HTH!

Laurie
Mom to: Nicholas 11/1/95, Justin 6/7/97, Gabrielle (Gabi) 9/21/07

Stacey H.
on 8/14/08 12:24 am - Brooklyn Park, MN

Hi Colleen. I agree with the others. You're not producing much, if any prolactin right now. Prolactin is what stimulates and allows milk production, so the drugs will not do anything.

I have to take 12 Fenugreek "horse pills" every day. I personally don't think this herbal supplement helps ALL that much.

I have never used Reglan because of all the side effects. My doctor told me it only gives a boost anyway. That taking it long term will not help.

The only thing that has saved me was the Domperidone! That's the generic name. I buy it under the brand name of Motilium. It's the most established brand of all the generic domperidone products. I think it's been out there for 30 years. It enabled me to nurse for over 2 years with my last baby. The *side effect* of this medication is increased Prolactin production. I always get mine from a website (inhousepharmacy) and it's pretty reasonable. It's a real breast feeding lifesaver for me.

Just curious as to why you NEED to supplement? Did you have problems in the past? I would see how it goes once the baby is born and nursing gets established (at LEAST 6 weeks) and then go from there. If you have problems, start with the Fenugreek. I would resort to the prescription meds as a last resort.

Good luck hon. 

Stacey proud mama to Aleah, Allison, Austin, AnnikaAndrew

Colleen S.
on 8/14/08 10:46 am - Brazil, IN
On August 14, 2008 at 7:24 AM Pacific Time, Stacey H. wrote:

Hi Colleen. I agree with the others. You're not producing much, if any prolactin right now. Prolactin is what stimulates and allows milk production, so the drugs will not do anything.

I have to take 12 Fenugreek "horse pills" every day. I personally don't think this herbal supplement helps ALL that much.

I have never used Reglan because of all the side effects. My doctor told me it only gives a boost anyway. That taking it long term will not help.

The only thing that has saved me was the Domperidone! That's the generic name. I buy it under the brand name of Motilium. It's the most established brand of all the generic domperidone products. I think it's been out there for 30 years. It enabled me to nurse for over 2 years with my last baby. The *side effect* of this medication is increased Prolactin production. I always get mine from a website (inhousepharmacy) and it's pretty reasonable. It's a real breast feeding lifesaver for me.

Just curious as to why you NEED to supplement? Did you have problems in the past? I would see how it goes once the baby is born and nursing gets established (at LEAST 6 weeks) and then go from there. If you have problems, start with the Fenugreek. I would resort to the prescription meds as a last resort.

Good luck hon. 

I had a breast reduction back in 95 and am just overly scared I won't be able to produce enough milk and from reading the other posts it seems as though gastric bypass mommies have a tough time bf'ing their babies.  I know i am jumping the gun, but just wanted to get background info for the "what if's".
amyc
on 8/14/08 11:15 am - Jacksboro, TN
Revision on 02/28/12
Stacy,
How big of a pill is domperidone?  What is the med typically used to treat?
Thanks,
Amy

Stacey H.
on 8/15/08 1:39 am - Brooklyn Park, MN
Hi Amy! It's teeny tiny - smaller than a Tic-Tac. Funny for us...the med is prescribed to "move things along" in the digestive system. I was really concerned that I would end up with diarrhea since most of us have bypassed intestine already, but that has not been a problem for me. I take 3 a day - one every 6 hours.

Stacey proud mama to Aleah, Allison, Austin, AnnikaAndrew

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1258 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 868 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1336 views