"Big Babies". Holy crap!

chelle614
on 3/25/11 1:35 pm - Chester, NY
So I was channel surfing and saw this title. There is actually a show about babies born weighting 12-15 lbs. Most of them are british. And honestly...don't they have prenatal care over there? One chick is claiming she chewed on rubber bands during her pregnancy...and that's probably why. Another one was over 400lbs and they could not guestimate how big her baby would be. All of them admit to eating crap and letting their babies continue to eat crap. These stories are incredible.
I almost had a craving for a taco bell burrito....untiI I saw this show. 3rd degree tears and damaged spinal discs? No thanks. Seriously, I wonder how exactly this happens, and how much the mom's diet is actually at fault?

M/C 10/18/10  9w2d...forever loved

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
                                                      It's a boy!

usmcwife414
on 3/25/11 2:34 pm - Jacksonville, NC
 I don't think it's much of what the moms eats. If the moms end up with gestational diabetes, that can cause a bigger baby. Many woman while pregnant crave things they shouldn't have. Like chalk, gas, and in this case rubberbands. While it's not healthy, it's actually more common then people think.
Lianne C.
on 3/25/11 3:06 pm - Garden City, MI
I craved Gain laundry detergent! I did not drink it, but I REALLY wanted it!

My son was 2oz shy of 9lbs and i could not imagine a 12 pounder. I was so uncomfortable as it was. No GD here.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
mandajolyn
on 3/25/11 3:15 pm - Tallahassee, FL
my nephew was almost 12 pounds at birth and my sister was healthy. I've seen some of these stories, not sure why it happens.
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

lesliejayne
on 3/25/11 10:17 pm - Noxapater, MS
I find it interesting too why people have such large babies...other than the gestational diabetes patients.  But I know a few people who have had very large babies and ironically all of them extrememly health concious.  I have one friend that competes in triathlons,etc and all 3 of her children were big- all between 9 lbs even and 10 lbs 4 oz.  And with the 10 lber she only gained 17 lbs the whole pregnancy!!!  And let me tell you, this girl ate one piece of cake the entire time she was pregnant and that was at her sister's wedding.  She just eats healthy all the time.  My husband weighed 10 lbs 9 oz when he was born and his mom was very particular about what she ate as well.  By contrast, I have a friend that ate nothing but junk food and yet her baby didn't even weigh 6 lbs.  It is very interesting though!!!
Leslie

chelle614
on 3/25/11 11:35 pm - Chester, NY
Yeah...but in this show all the moms were extremely obese and admitted to being very unhealthy. I don't know if producers did that on purpose or what.  But it was scary and also maddening watching these women take such horrible care of themselves, and then their babies after birth.

M/C 10/18/10  9w2d...forever loved

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
                                                      It's a boy!

shrinkingarmywife77
on 3/26/11 1:52 am - Lyman, SC
I think sometimes big babies run in the family...my mom wasn't overweight or anything when she had me and my siblings, but I was over 9 lbs and my younger brother weighed over 11 lbs and my mom had him all natural...she is big boned...both my daughters before WLS weighed over 9 lbs, but I am really hoping and praying that this baby will not be as big maybe because I can't eat as much as I did with them and eat better?!!  Wishful thinking, but a girl can hope right?!!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Amy2008
on 3/26/11 2:57 am
I have had kids being overweight and now being a normal weight and my kids have averaged around the same weight...when I was obese I ate very unhealthy and it didn't affect my babies at all.  All of my kids ranged from 6lbs 8 oz- 7lbs 15 oz.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

RainyDayWoman
on 3/26/11 8:13 am - Fridley, MN

I ate like a horse in my pre-WLS pregnancy and I ate like one in my post-WLS pregnancy.  I didn't eat all crap, though.  I ate more fast food than ideal but I also ate a ton of fruit, veggies and quality protein, and I still lost weight in my post-WLS pregnancy.  My pre-WLS baby was 3/4 of a pound more than her post-WLS brother.  I do think maternal diet can affect baby size, but I have a feeling it's more due to uncontrolled insulin resistance or other factors.

I do have quite a few friends who aren't large but had pretty large babies.  I think sometimes they just grow big.  But I'm talking 10 pounds, not 15.

plusizedbarbie
on 3/26/11 2:47 pm - Manahawkin, NJ
I saw that too.  I was "obese" when I had Sage at 40 weeks exactly and she was a 6lb peanut.  These moms fed their kids horribly, if I saw one more of them eating fish and "chips" I was going to scream.  My child is an extremely good eater, but so far I have stuck to my guns about not feeding her any junk. 
MY WLS RECIPE BLOG!  -- Check it out http://plusizedbarbie.blogspot.com/

Lilypie - (vbmr)    Lilypie - (fb9N)

Changed for good
                            ...september 17, 2007...

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1252 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 865 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1327 views