29 weeks pregnant and very low iron...Iron Infusion? Scared :(

Amanda H.
on 8/18/11 2:08 pm - AR
I have been very tired lately, and I though it might be due to my UTI"s I keep getting. Well, I had my GTT test today,and they did a CBC, and my OBGYN's nurse calls me back as soon as they get the results I guess and tells me my GTT came back good, but my iron is very low. I am already taking 2 prenatal vites so I am getting 56 grams of iron a day. I have been extremely tired, do you think I may need an iron infusion? I dont know what the lab values are, she left a message, and I just got it, so I guess I will call down there tommorrow and talk with the nurse. I just want to make sure I say the right thing. My mom had her bypass in 1988 and hers got so low like to a 9 and they had to do an infusion on her after my sis was born. Im kinda scared :( Do any of you ladies have any knowledge or experience with this?

Mama to Colton Lane-11/14/06  Camden Lee-4/14/10
starting weight-333  current weight-216  Ive lost 117 POUNDS!!!

jent0082
on 8/18/11 2:26 pm - Hartsville, SC
Don't freak out. I have a chronic problem with very low iron. My iron stores are also low. My Dr. told me that they don't normally infuse unless it's making your hemoglobin drop as well. So I would think that if your hemoglobin is ok they may just put you on more iron. And low iron can make you super tired. Also have they checked your Vit D? When I was pregnant with my son mine was super low and that will also make you tired. Yes it needs to be treated but don't stress!!! P&PT's
windowsdown
on 8/18/11 11:22 pm
RNY on 11/02/10 with
Are you taking your Calcium pils with your prenatals? If so you won't get the Iron from the prenatals as the Calcium interferes with the absorption of the Iron. My surgeon stated to take a separate Iron pill 2hrs from my Calcium. And through the helpful posts from the RNY forum I decided to take Iron in the form Carbonyl (won't cause constipation).

Melanie S.
on 8/18/11 11:27 pm - Midlothian, TX
 I get iron infusions yearly due to low iron stores (from having an undiagnosed bleeding ulcer for who knows how long) after my RNY.  I did get an infusion while pregnant with my youngest when I was in the beginning of my 3rd trimester.  The doctor would not do it during the second tri due to all the growing baby is doing during that time.  I also got one when she was 10 weeks old to replace any lost during the remainder of pregnancy and delivery.  

imnotknitting
on 8/19/11 2:29 am
I had an iron infusion when I was pregnant with my first. My ferratin levels were at a 3 at the time. It was AMAZING. I felt a million times better after the 2 infusions and it was really no big deal. I assume they will probably do another infusion this time as I started this pregnancy with a ferratin level of 3 again. I have a really hard time taking iron supplements due to severe constipation. I hope they figure this out for you. It's important not to go into labor with low iron if possible.

Tina
Mommy to 2 of the most beauiful little girls in the whole universe and still in love with my hubby of 8 years. LIFE IS GOOD!
jent0082
on 8/19/11 2:27 pm - Hartsville, SC
That's what my ferratin is as well...humm wonder if I should insist on an infusion. I assumed it would make me feel better but nothing drastic. I'll have to bring this up at my next appointment. Did your OB do it or your PCP?
imnotknitting
on 8/21/11 10:58 pm
My OB set me up for it. It's really important that your iron levels be up there when you give birth. Blood loss will happen and can be dangerous with low iron levels.
Mommy to 2 of the most beauiful little girls in the whole universe and still in love with my hubby of 8 years. LIFE IS GOOD!
jent0082
on 8/29/11 1:51 pm - Hartsville, SC
Sorry this is so behing...been on vacation lol. I just had a few questions for ya. When your iron and ferritin was that low was your hemaglobin also low? Did you get infususions while pregnant and if so around how many weeks? I have an appointment next week and I just want to be prepared to talk this over and get a resolution soon. I feel so weak and tired that I can hardly even find the energy to dress some days and that is hard with a 2yr old. Thanks for any advice and answers!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1233 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 858 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1320 views