4 Weeks Preggers

kwinkleman
on 11/2/11 2:09 am - FL
I had RNY on 11/29/10, so I am just shy of my one year mark.  I found out Monday that I am pregnant....according to my last cycle I am around 4 weeks 4 days pregnant.  So my question is what diet changes did you make?  How did you make sure that you ate enough of the right foods to give the growing baby all the vitamins and nutrients that it needs?  What are the best things to eat....or to stay away from?  What about drinks?  I love hot tea with splenda...is that safe?  I have cut out all other forms of caffiene.  I haven't ate meat in almost a month, should I add meat, like fish, shrimp, seafood back into my diet?

I have an appointment with an OBGYN on Monday at 1:15pm.  Any suggestions, comments, or replies are greatly appreciated.

Thank you

hockeybabe2u
on 11/2/11 2:36 am - Allegan, MI
Congrats on your pregnancy! It's said that you only need an additional 300-400 calories to substain a pregnancy which should include whole carbs! If you haven't already, I would start taking folic acid along with D3, Calcium, a prenatal or multi-vitamin, B-12 and possibly iron. It's important to have all your levels checked that way you know what you need more or less of! It's also important to have them checked at least 3 times during your pregnany (beginning of each trimester is ideal). Some people cut out all artifical sweetners and others continue to use them (I did)...you have to do what you think is best...you will find studies that say they are not good for you and others that say they are fine. I would eat meat, unless for some reason your against eating it as it's a great form of protein. Obviously, lean red meats, turkey, chicken and fish are all good choices. I'm not a fish eater, but know there are some you should avoid or eat less of and I would ask your doctor about those. Stay away from raw meats and cheese (like feta, brie, etc) and make sure if you eat processed meats like hot dogs that they are heated to the correct temp. Some people avoid cold deli meats, but I feel they are fine if you know it was cut fresh and eat within a couple of days...but it's best that they are cooked as well. Good luck to you!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

kwinkleman
on 11/2/11 4:09 am - FL
Thank you very much!!!!  LOL I made several notes from your post so I can remember to bring these issues up at my appointment on Monday.  I have been doing weekly B12 shots, I need to make sure it is safe to continue doing that.  I LOVE my hot tea with Splenda.  I stopped eating meat just as a personal decision.  I love animals so that was part of it.  I started doing a lot of Tofu, Tempeh, and the fake chicken and burgers.  They do have some protein but not as much as the real thing.  I think I am going to slowly add in things like tuna, shrimp, salmon, lean chicken, and turkey. 

300-400 calories more per day shouldn't be too hard.  As long as I make sure that every meal counts.  Hopefully I can find some low fat, healthy options.

Thank you again for your reply!!! 

hockeybabe2u
on 11/2/11 6:34 am - Allegan, MI
Your weekly B12 shots are perfectly safe!  B12 is NOT a vitamin we can overdose on!  However iron is and that is why I said you might want to add it, but I would have your levels checked 1st.  In most situations, us weight loss peeps are low on iron, but mine was high the 1st time they took my levels and I was told to take my supplement every other day.....so at least have your iron level checked before adding it to your vitamin schedule.

As far as protein goes, dairy products like milk, cheese, yogurt, string cheese, eggs, etc are all good sources of protein as well.  A small handful of nuts are good forms of protein too!  Remember you don't necessarily have to eat low fat.....just choose foods with healthy fats!  And if you want to eat really healthy, stick with products with as little ingrediants as possible (fruit, veggies, milk, eggs, meat, etc).  The less ingrediants in food, the healthier they are for you!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

kwinkleman
on 11/3/11 12:15 am - FL
Thank you thank you thank you!!!!  It is crazy because when I had my son 8 years ago all of this stuff was irrelevant.  I ate everything LOL took my vitamins and have a healthy baby boy.  It is a different world now that I am post-op RYN.  Got to make sure now that I do what is right for my still changing body as well as the growing baby.
I tried meat last night again....tore my stomach up, so I think I am going to stick to my veggies and add in some fish, shrimp, and tuna.

Thank you again
Becca R.
on 11/2/11 3:59 am - WA
congratulations and welcome to this awesome group!! as far as vits my dr told me to take extra folic acid and a prenatal vits also to increase my protien to no less than 80-100g a day. my OB recomends that you add fish to your diet for the omega 3 and DHA(?) or just take the suppliment. umm a cup of tea of coffee a day isnt going to do you or the baby any harm. In the next few weeks it mightl be hard to get everything in if you suffer from morning sickness, I know I did. But most importantly remember to relax and take it easy. again congrats and I wish you the best in the next 9 months.
kwinkleman
on 11/2/11 4:12 am - FL
Thank you for your warm welcome.  It is so exciting.  I am going to add fish into my diet.  Being a new vegetarian it is a little sad but if its best for baby....that is what I am going to do.  My tea addiction is a little more than a cup a day.  Our office is so cold that I find it keeps me warm throughout the day....so I might have 4 cups a day.  Probably not the best thing to be drinking.  I am going to try my hardest to stick with jus****er for at least the rest of the afternoon as I have already had 2 cups of tea just today LOL

Thank you again!!! 
MusicMaryn
on 11/2/11 4:39 am - San Jose, CA
Congrats!  I'm 4w3d right now myself!  Cut out the artificial sweeteners.  The chemicals are not good for us.  If you do need a sweetener, try Truvia or one of the Stevia plant sweeteners.  They are all natural.  Caffeine is not a good idea at all.  I was told to limit it down to no more than 1 cup of caffeine per day.
About the meat, just make sure you're getting good proteins and some healthy carbs.

You should also tell your bariatric surgeon that you're pregnant.  They will probably want to monitor your vites levels throughout the pregnancy.
Our little miracle baby boy is on his way!
Lilypie Maternity tickers

kwinkleman
on 11/3/11 12:22 am - FL
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!  We will have to keep in touch since we are on the same track!!!!!  I have been sticking to water today....other then my one Chai Tea from Starbucks this morning.  It is going to be rough....but I am going to cut it out.  Is the Truvia/Stevia a zero calorie sweetner?  I have never tired it but going to look for it now.  I am also going to try decaf tea.  LOL its so funny that these are things I never thought about before.  Funny  how getting older and being pregnant changes your way of thinking.

thank you and CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN
MusicMaryn
on 11/3/11 1:28 am - San Jose, CA
Yes truvia is 0 calories. Ya its wild all of the new changes we get to make now that we're pg. Then again.... we made more changes when we had our wls.
Our little miracle baby boy is on his way!
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1241 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 862 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1323 views