Post op High Risk?

Tia Lee C.
on 7/28/12 1:40 am - Hinesville, GA
 Hey there! I recently found out I am expecting.  Went to the dr THurs to confirm and got set up with OB. But I can't get into OB on post until AUg 29 and it is for some class and then my other stuff will be sched from there.  By the class orientation thing I will be 11 weeks.. So should I try to find an OB off base to see before then?  I am asking because I have been told several times that post op you are considered high risk?  This is my first so I am lost!  Thanks!
MeliT
on 7/28/12 2:09 am - Miami, FL
i'm pregnant with my first after surgery as well. honestly, unless you're recently post op or you're still losing rapidly, i don't see why you would be considered high risk. a lot of us are lower risk now after having wls than we were before. there might be some issues with you for malabsorbtion but your OB just has to keep tabs on that. I don't see any problem in shopping around to another OB. believe me i went through a few before i found someone i liked. if you can find one who has experience with WLS patients, even better. bottom line is, your lady parts and your tummy are not connected. and there's no reason we should be considered high risk just because we had wls. there are other factors to consider. also don't worry too much about being 11 weeks. i found out that in really early pregnancy they don't do much. lol. but if you would feel more comfortable not waiting and seeing someone off base, go ahead and do it.

good luck to you! and congrats!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/12 7:44 am
Just wanted to say Congrats!!!!!
USAF Wife
on 7/28/12 10:04 pm, edited 7/28/12 10:06 pm
There's lots of post-ops (regardless of surgery type) who are referred to a perinatologist due to bariatric surgery, BUT your care is typically co-managed with the base OB. At least that has been my case for both of my post-op pregnancies. I am high risk due to other medical issues and my VSG, weight loss, has absolutely nothing to do with my high risk status. I'm 35, have a genetic clotting disorder, and I have a history of other issues in pregnancy completely unrelated to weight loss surgery.

I have several RNY friends(military wife friends all across the country), who were referred off base for a consult with a high risk ob, were seen a couple of times and then released. There's really no reason to be considered high risk if you are healthy, labs are good and stable, and have no other issues that would deem you high risk. The OB on post can manage your labs, and give you the proper OB care in most cases.

It's pretty standard for the 10-12 week appt time for your first OB appt, at least it is here and with many other of my military wife friends. I was seen early because I refused to wait and told them since I'm old, have the clotting disorder etc, they could get me in for a viability U/S (which is typically included in the first appointment with the OB).

I delivered my daughter on base last year, and will be delivering my son this year on base. Both were fabulous experiences. I was released to my base OB at 37 weeks last year because everything was fine with my labs and my daughter. I went through the genetic screening and she was/is perfect in every way. I'm 28.5 weeks into this pregnancy and have to be seen by the high risk ob every 4 weeks for follow ups on my clotting disorder and other labs.

Best wishes and congrats!

Also, on most military bases/posts, you are bounced around providers who are assigned to a team. I refuse to deal with that, and schedule ALL of my appts with the same on base OB because I'm not repeating my extensive history and do not like being bounced around. If you want to go off post, your very best bet is to switch Tricare standard, pay the nominal co-pays and out of pocket expenses for being able to choose your own OB, hospital and delivery options. I wasn't willing to switch to Standard because I'm extremely demanding and don't put up with being bullied around the military hospital/healthcare system. My best advice, go to the class, get seen by an OB or midwife (most mil hospitals offer midwives if you'd prefer), I saw the midwife at our base for our first appt with my daughter. He was a flake and he deemed that I needed to see an actual OB due to my extensive medical history. I am also limited to OB's here in our area, and the only perinatologist here are at a Catholic hospital. They do not offer sterilization procedures such as tubals, and I want my tubes tied. Therefore, I chose to stay with Tricare prime and deliver on base. It was easy, and uneventful. I had an amazing experience because that's what I demanded. Don't be scared to ask a lot of questions and if you do not feel like you are receiving the level of care you deserve and need, then look for other OBs off post and go from there.  With the changes in our healthcare, it's harder to get off post referrals so going Tricare Standard is typically easier and less of a hassle.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

soldiersxbabygirl
on 7/29/12 1:17 pm - Cibolo, TX
I wanted to send my congrats to you!  I was considered high risk, through both my post-op pregnancies, but with my 1st, it was because I was so early out of my RNY.  With my 2nd, it was because I was a previous c-section with a history of iron infusions and other deficiencies.  They were right to put me high risk with Tyson because he was born several weeks early and put in the NICU.  I was bedrested most of that pregnancy.  My case is rare, however.  Most people actually have healthier and easier pregnancies post-op than they would if they still were carrying the extra weight.  You shouldn't be automatically classified high risk, though, unless they find something to alarm them at your first few appts.  Relax and enjoy your pregnancy!  I'm happy for you!

~*Renae*~ Open RNY 8/3/04 **  (rockmyskinnyjeans on MFP)
Post-op Mommy x 2 (Krysten 12/1/05 Tyson 10/3/08) 334/303/136/135

Friend me on FB: http://www.facebook.com/airmansxprincess

Sharstar
on 8/22/12 5:08 am - Canada

I am 3 years post op and was sent to an OB who also specializes in High risk. For my first 2 trimesters I was at his regular office and than moved to the high risk unit for my 3rd. Not because I am considered high risk but because sometimes with post RNY patients there are a few issues with malapsorbtion and or growth for the baby. I am seeing neither of these but am glad for the extra care. Although I would have probably been just as properly looked after by a normal OB.  Right now both myself and Baby are doing well he is just a tad small aparently but should start to pack on those lbs in the next couple months before his arival. I wish you all the luck. What ever you do decide (or have decided, as this is an older post) just make sure they check your levels more frequently and please do not do the glucose drink you will dump for sure. You can go in 1 hr after a regular meal.

Shari
My journey of a million miles begins with a single step

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1232 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1318 views