what to do what to do

ajmicha
on 9/13/12 7:22 am
So I had a sleeve 4 months ago, I have lost 100#  already. My hubby and I have a daughter that is 8yrs old, we want to have another child. I am nervous because I am 33 yrs old and I read that you should wate 18-24 months to have a child. I had a hard time getting pregnant before I had my sleeve. we use protection now but would it be so bad if we started to try have a baby at 1year out? If I wate the 24months will I be to old? what to do what to do?
Time_for_Monica
on 9/13/12 8:16 am - Levittown, NY
 HI, and congrats on your surgery and your weight loss My fiance just had the sleeve in January of this year and has lost over 90 pounds and I had the RNY in March 2010 and have lost over 130lbs. 
If you want my honest opinion I say that you should really wait the 18 months. Its the best thing for you and the best thing for the baby that you want to have. Don't be so worried about your age, there are so many people that are having babies even older than you and there are so many advances in medicine and doctors that can monitor you closely and make sure that everything is ok. I also have an 8 year old daughter and am 14 weeks pregnant with twins and I really really wanted to get pregnant before my 18 months an I did try. . .we had actually been trying since before the surgery. . .lol. But now that I am 2 years post op I am so so so happy that it didn't happen sooner. Its so important to be able to get in the right amount of nutrition for a baby to grow and I dont think that at 4 months post op your body is really ready. I KNOW that there is A LOT of people who do get pregnant very soon after their surgeries but if you really have the choice to wait. . .I say wait, it will save you so much stress and worrying and you will have a more relaxed and comfortable pregnancy. . .but ultimately its up to you. I wish you the best of luck in whatever decision you make and keep me posted on your progress

Lilypie - (kDs2) Lilypie - (Ukoq)                            
  Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

jana_m_dowler
on 9/13/12 9:49 am - Rockport, WV
I have seen all kinds of posts where people get pregnant in the first year and the babies are fine but really I would recommend you wait until you get to your goal weight. Let your hormones stabalize. You put your body through a lot.  I am so glad that I waited until I got to my goal. I had the band done and it took me longer then the sleeve or bypass. I will be 32 in January. I have a cousin that had her baby at 40 and that was 7 years ago and her daughter is perfectly healthy

Good luck in your decision.
Jana
Paula622
on 9/13/12 12:00 pm
I think this is a very individual decision.  The first thing to consider is the type of surgery.  Since you have the sleeve, you don't have to worry about malabsorbtion, but you'd still need make sure that your labs are all in order.  Second thing to consider is how much weight you have to lose, and the pace at which you're doing it.  If you need to lose 200lbs, and you're still losing 20+ every month, it is a different story than someone who has to lose 80 and has slowed down by 5 months out.  Another factor is your ability to get in all of your protein and fluids, this can vary wildly even among people who had surgery at the same time, and the same type of surgery.  I would definitely discuss it with your surgeon before going for it, as he (or she) knows you best.

All that being said... 6 months out from my sleeve surgery, my labs were great, my weight loss had slowed to a crawl, I was just a few lbs away from a "normal" weight, and I was able to get my protein and fluids in with no problems.  So, my hubby and I decided to just go for it and see what happened... about a minute later I was pregnant.  I now have a perfectly happy healthy 10 month old, I lost the baby weight with no problem, and went right back to working my way towards goal (met my original goal a few months ago). 

So, everyone is different, and unfortunately there is not a one size fits all answer.

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1240 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 862 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1323 views