6 months post op RNY and just had a positive pregnancy test

shaniam326
on 11/18/12 2:59 am - RI
What do I do?! This may sound awful but I don't want to gain any weight!! I have lost 95lbs since my surgery in May and getting pregnant was the last thing I had in mind! I have an 8 year old daughter now who I know would make a great big sister but I'm in college full time with my expected graduation to be May 2014. I need to graduate in order to support this baby!! I'm afraid my dad will cut me off financially for school when he finds out bc he helped me out with my 8 yr old daughter and always told me you can't make the same mistake twice! I'm so screwed. I'm not a prolife addict and my options are open but I don't want to gain back 50lbs or even 20lbs to be honest. I found out I was pregnant 2 weeks before my wls surgery and had an abortion and I don't think I want to do that again, please anyone I need advise and if your going to lecture me on abortions please move on and don't respond
Nikki M.
on 11/18/12 3:32 am

If you really don't want to have this baby then your options are probably abortion or adoption. Have you considered adoption? If you are on the fence or think you might want to keep the baby and are just worried about being 6 months post op, there are lots of women who get pregnant that early out and have healthy babies. Maybe your dad would be more understanding than you think since it's actually happened? Do you know how far along you are? You should go talk to an OB/GYN first thing to find out and go over your options. Good luck!

Lapband 8/2007. Revised to VSG 10/2010.... 170 pounds lost!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

jewel-twin
on 11/18/12 4:12 am - Canada

Hey Shannon... you know what?? You have to do what you have to do... despite what that is... You have three choices...Abort, Adoption, or keep!   You have to do what is right for YOU!  Don't worry about weight gain... chances are you will still loose since you are so fresh out and the baby will take from you on top of malabsorption... and anything you do gain should come right off at the end... but thats really not the point...

Are you prepared to have a baby, do you want another baby, can you make it work if you decide to keep this baby! 

Unfortunately no one can tell you what to do in this case.  I can give you my support and giant virtual hugs!  No matter what you choose it will all be alright.  Promise, now deep breathing, calm down discuss your options with your boyfriendand make a calm rational decision.

HUGS!

Juls

Family Dr. 06/05/2012    Referral Received 06/28/2012 Orientation 08/01/2012   NP 08/27/2012
SW 08/28/2012              Nut Class 08/27/2012
NUT 10/01/2012              PS 10/01/2012
Surgeon Dr. Cyriac 12/07/2012  **SURGERY  JAN 30, 2013**

fooh.png

Celia S.
on 11/18/12 12:04 pm - Grand Junction, CO

I am one of those women who got pregnant super early and have had a completely healthy pregnancy. I was 5.5 months post-op when I got pregnant and am currently almost 38 weeks pregnant. I have not gained a single pound other than some of what I had lost in the first half of my pregnancy, but I am still more than 20 pounds lighter now than I was just before I got pregnant. You may not gain any weight at all especially considering you still malabsorb a LOT of what you eat. Another thing to consider here is if you do gain weight with the pregnancy, it is temporary and will come off! Every WLS patient who's ever been pregnant has been concerned about weight gain, and I've seen a small handful of those women NOT lose their weight afterward. The prospect of weight gain is scary to all of us, but there is no better reason for it than pregnancy and it will come back off.

Maybe your dad would be more understanding than you think he would be? I don't know your cir****tances or anything like that, but I know that even though MY dad was less than thrilled at the timing of this pregnancy, he's come around to the idea and is now happy about welcoming another grand child. If you're worried about school, you can still do both. It's hard, but lots of women (myself included) do it every day.

If you don't think you're willing to go through with another abortion, then that leaves you with two options: adoption and keeping the baby. Good luck making your decision. No matter what, we are here for you! :)

Sara S.
on 11/18/12 10:32 pm

I was 6 months out when I got pregnant with my daughter. I gained 10lbs my whole pregnancy and after I delivered I lost another 45lbs. So I wouldn't be to worried. Just be sure to eat enough protein and carbs.

Also, please consider adoption if you don't want to keep this baby. TOO many families out there are struggling to have their own child and would love to give any child a wonderful life.

Also, I would talk with your surgeon you may need a strong Birth Control.

Sara

Mom to Haleigh born 04/14/10 and Dylan 05/15/12
victoria3
on 11/19/12 2:47 am - Douglassville, PA

This might come off harsh- but there are a lot of women on this board who would love to be in your pregnancy situation and not dealing with fertility issues, you should consider yourself luck that you have an easy time getting pregnant. I would switch fertility situations with you in a heart beat!!!  Please make a rational decision.

Where is the father of this pregnancy?  Is he willing to help you out?  Hope the talk you have with your dad goes well.

Mara005
on 11/19/12 10:00 am
On November 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM Pacific Time, victoria3 wrote:

This might come off harsh- but there are a lot of women on this board who would love to be in your pregnancy situation and not dealing with fertility issues, you should consider yourself luck that you have an easy time getting pregnant. I would switch fertility situations with you in a heart beat!!!  Please make a rational decision.

Where is the father of this pregnancy?  Is he willing to help you out?  Hope the talk you have with your dad goes well.

While she is lucky to not have fertility issues and I'm very sorry that you do (and hope you get a BFP soon), but what you said is not helpful to her situation. She is unsure, scared and needs support not a lecture about feeling lucky to be pregnant.

Lap Band w/ Plication - Oct. 4, 2012  SW:318 CW:241 GW:175

victoria3
on 11/19/12 8:44 pm - Douglassville, PA

My point was not to flame her for getting pregnant, but it seems that her track record is that she gets pregnant and then goes running home to daddy for help.  I was plainly asking about the this baby's daddy and if he was willing to take the responsibility that goes along with having sex and help her out during this time when she doesn't know what to do and not go running home to daddy.  If you are old enough to have sex you have to take the responsibility to handle what happens as a possible outcome!

shaniam326
on 11/20/12 11:13 pm - RI

Ignorance.. My track record as you would say would be 1. When I was 18 and got pregant with my daughter in 2003 (my daughter that I had and raised alone) with the help of my father financially 2. The most previous pregancy which was the week I got approved for WLS after a year and half in the making and weighing in at 267lbs I decided I would regret having that baby for health reasons and bc I had just been approved for surgery. I did not run back to daddy as you say, I spent the $700 and got an abortion and has my surgery 2 weeks later. What I was saying is I am still not financially stable bc I am In school full time earning my BA with my dads support (money) he is doing this to help me build a better future for me and his granddaughter (my 8yr old) so for him to get the news that's I did this again he will be devestated. Yes, the father of the new baby is in the picture but he has a lot of growing up to do and works as a maintenance man in a nursing home making $10.50 an hour. My point is I can't run to "daddy" to help me financially with this baby and I can't drop out of school so I was posting my story in hopes of advice and encouragement not to be mocked by a stranger that I'm sure has her own issues.

victoria3
on 11/21/12 3:29 am - Douglassville, PA

All that knowledge you have and $10 could buy you a box of condoms, would save you from the "predicament" your in!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1233 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 858 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1320 views