Ovulation after weight loss surgery?

LeighAnne89
on 12/7/12 8:13 am - KY

I was just wondering what everyone's experience has been with ovulation after weight loss surgery? Was it something that picks up almost right away or something that takes time? 

cryspyx
on 12/7/12 10:03 am - Hartford, CT

it depends if you have any underlying causes that would prevent it or not. in my case i have PCOS, so ovulation didn't/doesn't typically occur without hormonal treatments, be it birth control or fertility drugs. although, the month i got pregnant, i ovulated on my own which was a surprise to everyone.

Alice P.
on 12/8/12 5:55 am

I didn't ovulate on my own prior to surgery--went on clomid for 1st two kids--since got my period once or twice a year and on temp charts no sign of ovulation.  Post op I was on nuvaring for almost the first 2 1/2 yrs-- so don't know when ovulation resummed but stopped nuvaring in July and got pregnant, but miscarried, then got pregnant immediately again so I know I do now ovulate on my own!

HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

MeliT
on 12/8/12 7:16 am - Miami, FL

I have PCOS as well. i had problems with ovulation before surgery. but after surgery everything went back to normal. Weight loss actually makes a huge difference. doctors will tell you. its funny bc i got pregnant on my own, but then miscarried. then my RE put me on clomid and nothing happened. i decided to get off all hormones bc i didn't like what they were doing to my body. and low and behold i got pregnant again all on my own. and this time it stuck! good luck to you.

LeighAnne89
on 12/8/12 11:12 am - KY

Thank you and my doctor also told me that I had PCOS but she said it was not too bad and birth control and weight loss would help out a lot so I am hoping for the best because I hate putting hormones and things into my body. So far I am down almost 100 pounds and I am still on the birth control but it was something I was wondering about, I always like to know about a research things before hand. The way I see it any info you can get before hand is great. I got pregnant with my first son with the help of hormones and I hope to be able to do it without for the next one.

MeliT
on 12/8/12 1:13 pm - Miami, FL

you'll be surprised once you get off birth control how quickly your body recovers. at least that was the case for me. i was on birth control for 10yrs. and i'm so happy to be off of it. i honestly don't know if i'll get back on it after the baby.

cryspyx
on 12/8/12 1:22 pm - Hartford, CT

nice i wi**** would do that for me. i've never been normal at all my entire life. without birth control i never menstruated and when i stopped taking birth control i never ovulated until a fluke on the month i got pregnant, even with losing 140 pounds. maybe if i lose more weight i'll ovulate on my own without needing hormonal treatment, but i don't know at this point.

MeliT
on 12/8/12 1:30 pm - Miami, FL

i can't say it works for everyone. you know, everyone is different. but wow you lost 140lbs thats amazing!!! women's reproductive systems are so complicated. i know some skinny women with PCOS who are perfectly healthy who just cannot get pregnant. those cases seem to be more frustrating bc its not like you can say to them just lose weight.

LeighAnne89
on 12/9/12 5:57 am - KY

I hope thats the case for me I hate being on birth control as soon as I am a year out I am going off it. I just don't like the thought of putting something in my body that don't have to be there. 

BIGGY
on 1/7/13 11:37 pm - Tulsa, OK
VSG on 07/24/12

Well in my case I cant find a positive O on the LH kits but I have been getting a period since the  1 month I got out. I don't know if that means I am ovulating but I have notice more vaginal fluid then ever and different type (even have to wear daily pads),So think I might be ovulating and hormones getting back to normal after losing 117 pounds. I never got periods one or two a year and crazy to say it but I feel a WOMAN  now hahaha . I might not be sure if I am O or not but what I do know is that losing weight helped me with periods.

HW:375 (04/02/12) 
SW:339 (07/
24/12)
CW:244 (11/13/14)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1233 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 857 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1319 views