Surgery vs getting Pregnant?

refinnej0607
on 12/30/12 11:57 am - MI

Hello~ just looking for a little advice.  I have the lap band but am not happy with it and am going through the process to have bypass done.  My issue is that I want 1 more child.  Do I have another baby 1st then have by pass or go ahead with bypass and then get pregnant?  My husband and I have not been using any birth control for several months and nothing seems to be happening in that dept, so I am concerned that it will take us awhile longer to conceive and then there is the 9 month wait.  Plus when I am pregnant, I have diabetes and had constant issues with that, plus my body just got so heavy that my whole body ached and it was really hard to even move toward the end of my last pregnancy.  My concern is that I don't want to go thru with by pass and then gained a bunch back from being pregnant and having the whole bypass a waste because of getting pregnant.  I spoke with my surgeon and he said that it can be done but I would have to be very careful what I ate while pregnant and watch what I ate and measure things.  I just don't want to go through all of this and be fat forever...  looking for advise from anyone that has been pregnant after surgery and how you bounced back (or didn't)

SassySamara
on 12/31/12 1:38 am - San Antonio, TX

I would have the surgery first. That was one of the main reasons I had mine in the first place. I was much healthier and happier and it was not being overweight was one less complication I had to worry about in addition to PCOS. Although I did not have a child before WLS I am certain if I had that I would have been miserable. With my first pregnancy in 2007 I gained 29 lbs, and lost all the weight and then some within 6 weeks of delivering my son. I made sure to stay as active as I could in pregnancy and eat healthy although I did satisfy cravings too. With this pregnancy I am now 17 weeks and have not even gained 5 lbs and am following the same rules as last time. The surgery is a tool and can help but like your doctor mentioned requires effort. The time after your surgery that you are told to wait to get pregnant goes by faster than you would expect as you are focused on your new lifestyle and weightloss. Good Luck in your decision.

Lilypie - (8swr) Lilypie - (XAvt)

Alice P.
on 12/31/12 8:49 am

I had my first 2 kids pre op and besides needed fertility meds, I had hypertension with both pregnancies and developed pre-eclmapsia.  So if you can wait the recommended post op time period I would recommend having surgery before getting pregnant again.

HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1258 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 868 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1336 views