tell me about being preg and having WLS

jdubskinny
on 1/8/13 3:05 pm - NV

i am 2 years post op and in my late 30's.  I am thinking i would like to get pregnant.  Just wondering what your journey was like.

I have lost about 150 lbs and have been stalled but ok with it as I feel I am too think ( i have to get used to it still but i feel partly like i look like a aids patient and sunken in )

How did you deal with the weight gain ?  I am terrified of gaining weight just because I know how much better i am  haviing lost the 150 lbs.  So how did you deal with it?  I am so afraid to go back that I may forgo getting pregnant.

-JDUB 

twert80
on 1/10/13 11:33 pm

I am 32 had WLS 2yrs before i preggers and had lost 200lbs.  During preg i gained 40lbs and unfortunately haven't lost much of it.  Although, it is completely my fault as my diet has been awful.  Life has been very stressful in the last six months and very fast paced therefore reverting back to some bad habits.  I know if i could get a grip on things and get back to my normal exercise and eating habits it would be off by now.  Also, this was my 3rd preg. and was the easiest of them all thanks to the weight loss.  I do look at my weight gain and get frustrated (again totally my fault) however i am still a long ways from 360lbs  and didn't gain as much as i would have and did with my other 2.  Good luck in the journey you choose.

Tiff

sb_shopping
on 1/21/13 11:43 pm

Everything went normal for me.  I was about 6 years post op and had lost about 100 lbs after surgery when I got pregnant with my first.  I was also able to get pregnant quickly, it took a month or two after going off birth control which I had been on for YEARS, around 15.  After GPB, my weight had crept up about 10 lbs in 3 years.  I gained around 25 lbs with my first pregnancy and then in the year after I did pack on about 10 lbs so I was back at 185-187 lbs.  Yikes.  I got pregnant again when my son was about 2 1/4 years old but this time I only gained about 10 lbs so when I left the hospital with my daughter, I still only weighed about 185 or so.  I was chasing a 2 years old and pregnant in the third trimester in the summer time so I was running around CONSTANTLY so I'm sure that helped keep the weight off.

I was not able to breastfeed for either one of my kids (not related to GBP) and the only real difference was that I didn't do the glucose fasting test where you have to chug sugar water, an obvious no to most GPB folks.  And I had to do some pre-pregnancy iron infusions as I was SUPER anemic.

sb_shopping
on 1/21/13 11:46 pm

The best part about being pregnant is the BABY!  You get the best excuse in the world.  I LOVED every moment of being pregnant.  For the first few months, it was a tiny bit hard because you start to put on pounds but you don't really LOOK pregnant yet.  But just buy some pregnancy clothes, stick your belly out and start walking slowly and people will start holding the door for you and smiling at you.  Just bask in the glow of being pregnant.  It was so awesome.

Alice P.
on 1/22/13 5:40 am

I can't tell you about loosing weight after the baby because I'm 26 weeks pregnant, have 2 other kids but they were both pre wls.  I have gained around 30 lbs but OB isn't concerned since I was totally normal weight pre-pregnancy and am making healthy food choices.  I can tell you that even though I am now 40 I was at a MUCH higher risk pregnancy with my boys who are 10 and 12 yrs old when I was morbidly obese and ended up with pre-eclampsia related to a borderline underlying hypertension.

HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1232 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1318 views