momyshaver’s Posts

momyshaver
on 12/10/18 3:10 am
Topic: RE: Lyrica and Weight Gain

I take the older auntie of Lyrica (gabapentin) for nerve pain and I don't think it causes weight gain but if I have to take it at full strength it does make me swell or retain water a bit sometimes.

momyshaver
on 12/2/18 4:31 pm
Topic: RE: EGD scope today to check on marginal ulcer

Oh dear that sounds like an ordeal. I am sorry you are dealing with that.

The carafate and omeprazole are helping so that is good. I had to travel to a bigger city and between that and the procedure being delayed (for a good reason - there was a medical emergency so I did not mind the delay), my anxiety must have been worse than I realized due to what the monitors showed; however, all came out ok.

It has been challenging being so scheduled with the PPIs, the carafate, the bariatric vitamins, eating, fluids, etc. I am not perfect and need to do better. I really need like a daily schedule that is SUPER detailed, I think.

I do worry about the ulcer coming back as others have experienced but really there is nothing to be done besides finish this course and take the future one day at a time. A lot of people have it much worse. I try to remember that quote that refers to worrying not changing our cir****tances yet it robs today of its strength and sometimes, tomorrow of its joy.

momyshaver
on 11/30/18 3:48 am
Topic: RE: EGD scope today to check on marginal ulcer

I hope everyone is staying nice and warm if it is cold where you are (or if you are just cold all the time after weight loss lol).

I wanted to post an update and also my experience in case anyone is like me and just reads the archives when this sort of thing happens.

I have an EGD scope to check on the marginal ulcer found several weeks ago. I am a bit past 3 months past my medical revision to bypass and did not expect to deal with ulcers as I was not/am not a smoker, did not take NSAIDs, took my post op PPIs etc. As before diagnosis my pain is not constant. It comes and goes. Some symptoms I have is a gnawing "hunger" (not hunger) and a type of discomfort odd pain below my breastbone to the left. Sometimes that feeling is more severe than others but usually I am distracted enough to not notice it. Other symptoms are a bit of reflux and burping a lot, (but a lot of post ops have that symptom). Honesty, a lot of times from what I am reading, some people have zero symptoms of an ulcer and other people just have vague abdominal symptoms that could be a number of things. The EGD scope is the best way to diagnose...mine did not show up on xray, (although my esophogial hernia did on that and on the CT scan), the CT or the swallow study. Only the scope. I am not the only person to have this experience from what I have read scouring online on support groups and medical sites. I am on omeprazole 40 mg in the morning plus liquid carafate 5 ml taken 4 times daily. I have medication for nausea but I try to not take it as it has side effects and it takes a lot of scheduling sometimes between meds, fluids, meals, etc.

I am not scared of the scope. It is honestly one of the least painful things (since it is sedated...honestly the i.v is worse!) I am hoping that the surgeon sees things are healing. I do NOT regret bariatic surgery for anyone pre op who is reading this. I did not come to needing bariatric surgery as a healthy person and despite dealing with a few unexpected health issues since my initial procedure, a few other health issues have resolved since I am not morbidly obese any longer and hopefully this ulcer deal will be resolved soon enough. I will update with results.

momyshaver
on 11/28/18 5:49 am
Topic: RE: What?s on your Wednesday menu RNYers?

QOTD - I have some memories of Kindergarten. I remember learning the pledge, how to tie shoe laces and scoliosis tests in the classroom in addition to the ABC and coloring/fun basic type stuff. Things sure were a lot different in 1986 vs what I observe in my children's classrooms for that age range.

I am about to get on the treadmill just for circulation/steps, nothing crazy but planning 2-3 miles worth of steps. (My mantra is just keep moving a lot of days that I struggle).

Food wise I will be focusing on fluids, try to get a protein shake in (Nectar sampler probably just choose one I have on hand). I need to get the eggs cooked in the Instant Pot. Ground turkey will be served with pasta and a veggie for the family tonight and I will just focus on getting the protein for myself, maybe some cheese depending on how I feel. I really enjoy dairy but I would like to eat less of it due to inflammation factors for myself. My 3 year old ate my last greek yogurt and I am holding off on going grocery shopping since I was JUST AT THE STORE YESTERDAY. If I get feeling snacky later after dinner I will have nuts or nut butter or there is always trusty tuna packs and some of them aren't too bad.

momyshaver
on 11/28/18 3:22 am
Topic: RE: AMAW/CAMAW - Day 2

That is a great attitude. Each moment we can decide to make a better choice and each day is new.

Yesterday I tried but if I am honest with myself, my lack of meal planning made me really cranky. I am changing that today. I will cook the meat portion of dinner apart so I can eat with the family and not feel excluded, and make sure I stay on top of my hydration through the day rather than playing catch up. I think I will pull out the Instant Pot and make some hard shelled eggs in case I need a quick grab option too.

I hope everyone has a great rest of the week.

momyshaver
on 11/28/18 3:15 am
Topic: RE: AMAW/CAMAW Reminder

I kept meaning to post but feel so behind on everything right now. I am doing a modified CAMAW. I feel like I might need to see how my body feels but I need to be honest and realize that I am not getting enough hydration and really I should be eating more CAMAW most of the time with water or healthy fluids to goal + most of the time anyway. I am easing into the CAMAW but I got serious about it yesterday. I got a little hangry...which did not have to happen and was due to not meal planning on my part, for myself. My BF called me "uber uber -itchy" and nicknamed me OOh-Bee for now. I am not my *****y self but to be fair he went through the drive through and even after declining the holiday pie offer he bought them anyway and then ate his food in the car (oh the smells while I sipped on my G2 after grocery shopping and realizing how low on fluids I was for the day), and then dangled a damn pie in front of me AGAIN before I had to be pretty firm with NO. ENOUGH. PLEASE. I would love to drown my sorrows in carbs right now but I reflected while grocery shopping, (he had asked if I wanted chocolates) that I really wanted certain things but I knew that they were like poison for me. I am not judging anyone else but I just can't stop. I let myself have a piece and then I am grazing and eating steadily when I am not even hungry. I feel bloated, gross, lethargic and always say never again but then it draws me in again as I lie to myself that somehow next time will be different. Post op eating/CAMAW with a little give is probably what will keep me feeling best with health issues so I am sticking as close to CAMAW as I can

I put on weight while I was in the hospital due to iv fluids but it is water and I am waiting to see what happens there. I can tell it is swelling due to edema in my feet/sock area mostly and sometimes even in my wrist area etc. but I can feel it subsiding slowly. I think CAMAW and upping my fluids will have me back to feeling more like myself. The ulcer meds are very constipating and that combined with not exercising/moving like I usually do and not enough fluids had me feeling really badly. I have another scope Friday and I want to be sure to be hydrated when they are digging around for a vein. They usually run a bag of fluids with the sedation but I am not sure what is in it, (this scope is at a different hospital so I am nervous if it will be very different and of course hoping for good results/improvement).

momyshaver
on 11/25/18 5:51 pm
Topic: RE: marginal ulcer or stitch ulcer

I just had another massive round of heaving after trying to have dinner with the kids. Bad call on my part. I just wish the food would come up...it is mostly foamies and streaks of blood (from irritation I guess). I have a bariatric appointment tomorrow so I am just trying to stay hydrated but feel so bloated and horrible from the carafate etc. I am really depressed about all of this but I am trying and pushing fluids and trying the foods they suggested. It just really hurts.

momyshaver
on 11/24/18 5:24 pm

That is so scary to think that you could have ulcers to the point they perforate. i am so thankful you are ok but I am thankful you are willing to share your experience.

momyshaver
on 11/24/18 9:54 am
Topic: RE: What's on your Saturday menu, RNYers?
On November 24, 2018 at 5:49 PM Pacific Time, Au_Contraire wrote:

I'm sorry that you've been unwell, and I hope that your troubles will very soon be entirely corrected and completely healed. Feel better!

thank you. I think this is going to take a bit to correct if all goes well but it is something that many bypass patients deal with and I just have to get the big girl panties out and deal with it lol. It is really hard to not feel like a bariatric failure at this point but that is just no good thinking...it is just one of those things that happen sometimes. I gain so much from reading through the posts here on Obesity Help even if I don't post a response it reminds me I am not alone and part of a larger community of people who are all fighting their own fight

momyshaver
on 11/24/18 6:17 am
Topic: RE: Money well spent - my Fit*****arge 2HR

I love all the data with my FitBit 2. I had an earlier version and didn't care for it but I like all the information I can get with the one I have now. I probably wouldn't shell out cash for Apple level products but the charge was a gift and I wear it all the time and find it really useful to go back and review trends etc

momyshaver
on 11/24/18 6:06 am
Topic: RE: What's on your Saturday menu, RNYers?

QOTD: I have little packs of nuts and single serve nut butters, a few different protein drinks and powder packs and bottled water just in case I get stuck somewhere I am not unprepared. I also have an extra hoodie since I get cold, and extra phone charger and typical car stuff stowed in the way back under part.

I am not sure what I will eat today. I need to focus on hitting fluids. It feels like being a new post op right now. Honestly, going through this medical stuff feels like groundhog day. I don't regret bariatric surgery but I think it is important to share the good and the bad because it isn't all roses. I was so sure that none of the negative stuff would happen to me :/

momyshaver
on 11/24/18 5:59 am

Just checking in. I spent a week in the hospital for what turned out to be marginal ulcer (or what the GI Dr called stitch ulcers?). I was on PPI post op and am only a few months post revision from sleeve to bypass so was still on the PPI but they have increased the PPI and added carafate. They did quite a few tests while I was there and did iv iron infusions every day. The hida scan was probably the worse test comfort wise. Part 2 of the test required a rapid drinking of an ENSURE (44 carbs/11 grams fat/320 calories) and then laying there an hour until they could take the photos they needed to complete the scan/2 hour test. Just a heads up for anyone who ends up going in for that one. No one warned me at all and I was not happy as by that point in the week my arms were like pin cushions and I was not feeling well by far. My weight is up even though my diet hasn't changed but physiology is all screwed up right now so I am not worried about that, it is just something I have noticed.

I have been reading about marginal ulcers and it seems like everyone's experience seems to be different. I went in to be checked out because of blood in my vomit after eating (not a lot but it was a new symptom for me). I have a pretty nagging burning in the middle of my chest probably about where my stoma is if I had to guess. The medicine they give me for nausea (I have tried zofran and phenergan at this point) both make me tired and constipated. The carafate will do that too. Just be prepared as a bariatric patient if you find yourself in a similar situation.

momyshaver
on 10/27/18 4:40 am
Topic: RE: 10 yrs post op bleeding at the anastomosis

I haven't heard of that but I am sorry that you went through all of that. It sounds so unexpected and scary and that is one of my top post op anxieties. Was it an ulceration of some sort? How did you know the bleeding was going on?

momyshaver
on 10/23/18 7:07 am
Topic: RE: Anxiety meds?

Yes - I forgot to mention that I always take my medications (all kinds) the same way. Same time of day, with/without food, etc. because those all impact how much medicine is absorbed and how it works (for me). I do not take any ER medications

momyshaver
on 10/23/18 4:26 am
Topic: RE: Anxiety meds?

have you tried any anxiety medicines that go under your tongue? I have done that to reduce having to swallow pills and absorption issues. I know not every medication is available that way but it has helped me. I have actually reduced my dosage post op but my body weight is lower too. Physiology and metabolics is a moving target post op I think

momyshaver
on 10/23/18 4:04 am
Topic: RE: RNY Vets--here goes....

my daughter's Mimi had severe pancreatic issues although she did not have your procedure she did have an open surgery of some sort. I know that her diet is limited but I think that has to be different with each patient. I hope you can find a support group with people who have been through your procedure because I think that will give you the most realistic spectrum in conjunction with your team. I know some teams are great with the information and support they offer and some not so much but having people who have endured the same thing is priceless. Prepare for the worst but hope for the best is my take at times. Facebook has so many specific groups. I like these forums but for really specific issues that I can't find here Facebook has given me information and support that even my surgeon's team hasn't been able to offer. We are very fortunate to live in the world we live in as far as that aspect. So much information and support is available to us that wasn't even 10 years ago.

momyshaver
on 10/22/18 8:04 am
Topic: RE: RNY Vets--here goes....

Do you know how long your intestinal bypass will be? That will probably impact some of your weight issues. I had a sleeve revision for medical issues. I have a bypass but it is a modified form of the mini gastric more than an RNY, if that makes sense. (My intestinal bypass is much shorter because the goal of my surgery was to restore a route for nutrition and hydration around a narrowing due to scar tissue in my upper sleeve). I have one stoma/an omega loop bypass rather than an RNY and I believe my surgeon said my bypass was roughly 1 meter vs. the typical 3 meter bypass length. I had some blood sugar issues at first but I can eat and tolerate much more at 3 months roughly, (not that I should just because I can). I think some of my blood sugar issues were due to the fact my body had used up so much of its glycogen stores that eating again took a bit of adjusting for my body. I would say write down your concerns and make sure you ask your surgeon or dietician etc. and take it slow to see how your body responds. Everyone is different. I found the most helpful information on total or subtotal gastrectomy support groups on Facebook. There were quite a few bariatric oddities like us there as well as people with other issues impacting GI systems and nutrition. I hope this helps

momyshaver
on 9/23/18 7:24 am
Topic: RE: Extended Release Meds
On September 21, 2018 at 8:45 PM Pacific Time, Citizen (USA & Brit) Kim wrote:

Ask a pharmacist; it's what they go to school for! Not all meds are absorbed in the stomach.

I agree that in addition to talking to a bariatric Dr specifically (they might have more experience than a general practice Dr who doesn't deal with the GI issues related to bariatrics) I would definitely speak to a pharmacist. Heck, have them talk to each other. Medications are absorbed in different areas of the body just like vitamins and minerals. Some medicines build up in the body and bloodstream too, and that affects how we can take them.

momyshaver
on 9/7/18 3:49 am
Topic: RE: Omeprazole for acid reflux after Roux-en-Y surgery

I recall reading some studies that seemed to show post op omeprazole reduced the risk of ulcer and I do read that many bariatrics advise their rny patients to take it. Mine did. (I am somewhat confused because he advises twice a day and the bottle says once a day. It is over the counter. I listen to my surgeon though.) You might want to find out what the research shows so you can have it in hand the next time you bring it up with your surgeon or primary care Dr, etc. Omepazole isn't just for reflux, it is also used for a variety of GI issues and many times prevention is better than treating ...fwiw. I will see if I can dig up what I found but I will be busy with kids today/this weekend so it might take some time

momyshaver
on 9/5/18 2:28 am
Topic: RE: Reactive hypogycemia and losing consciousness

Yikes that is scary. Do you carry anything with you for episodes? How did you handle it and were there signs before it hit?

Ok, so I think I am reading that most of the time we can trace it back to something we did that we knew somewhere wasn't the best nutritional choice a bit of time before the episode. (but god don't we love to push our limits like we can't help ourselves live and learn).

I will admit that in my anxiety to stabilize/not lose anymore weight that I have made some choices that I know aren't ok long term but my body is telling me clearly they aren't ok in the short term either. I guess I will just have to make better choices ALL THE TIME and track my food and ride this weight thing out unless my Dr tells me otherwise, (and honestly I really don't know what the heck they could do other than what has already been done)

I appreciate all of the feedback. I am fighting a bit of depression about post op life which I know is normal. I am okay but sometimes it is hard to know this is life at least for now and probably for a long time if not long term/ever. I realize that life is about playing the hand you are dealt skillfully. I don't think most people are prepared for this going in to weight loss surgery but overall morbid obesity was much worse and I do not regret bariatric surgery. I just didn't think I would end up living the bypass life (as it was not my first surgery but yeah, life happens). I see so many posts of post ops telling pre ops they will be able to eat whatever they want just in smaller portions and I just want to be like BS (!!!) lol

momyshaver
on 9/4/18 5:21 pm

I don't eat and drink at the same time

momyshaver
on 9/4/18 9:23 am

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am not diabetic so I had not been routinely taking my blood sugar but my boyfriend is type 2 and before my revision I wasn't feeling well one morning at his house and my fasting blood sugar was 70. He didn't think that was right so he checked it again and yep...70. I do have a family history of type 2 but have never had high blood sugar. I always passed the glucose tests during my pregnancies despite having 10 and even 11 pound babies (before 40 weeks). The Drs and nurses couldn't believe I wasn't diabetic but the tests confirmed I was not. I would get hypo type symtpoms from time to time but nothing crazy when I was morbidly obese. I wonder if there is some sort of issue in how my body responds to sugar that makes me more likely to respond a certain way under certain stimulus. I am still getting a handle on this new GI anatomy combined with the fact that I am trying to stabilize my low weight. I think your advice reads sound and I do plan on making wiser choices as I learn more about nutrition etc. I will also be making sure that I keep a glucometer nearby. I was also thinking about getting a medical bracelet anyways for other health issues in case I am alone with my non verbal child. I hope this is one of the cases where an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure but I do worry about accidental exposure or potlucks, etc. Does this mean I should bring my own food? How did you learn your tolerance?

momyshaver
on 9/4/18 4:43 am

Thank you for the feedback. I definitely will be more cautious. It was hours later so I was really surprised but I want to avoid this happening again

momyshaver
on 9/4/18 3:57 am
Topic: RE: pre op vitamins? ideas thoughts experiences advice?

Creating a new routine has worked for me to help me with compliance with vitamins, fluids and protein, etc. Some people set alarms on their phone or have other timers. Do whatever helps you. I wish you success in creating a healthier you. We are all still learning

momyshaver
on 9/4/18 2:55 am

Okay, I will ask this question by explaining the best I can.

Most of you know my situation but for those who don't, I had some complications after bariatric sleeve surgery that required a revision to a modification mini gastric bypass. My GI anatomy is not a full RNY bypass and not like a mini gastric bypass due to the nature of my complications. My stomach was "sleeved", i.e reduced about 70% a year ago and then about 6 weeks ago, "bypassed" using the billroth 2 and omega loop technique of the MGB (mini gastric bypass), bypassing a stricture in my sleeved stomach; however, my surgeon's goal was to restore a route for nutrition NOT weight loss, so my bypass is about 3 feet/1 meter, to try to reduce the risk of bile reflux we didn't go shorter (I realize no guarantees here), and we didn't go longer.

I will be 6 weeks post op tomorrow. I can fully hydrate now, take my vitamins and eat some things which leads to my question. I do experience dumping syndrome from time to time, which for me is a racing heartbeat or a very lethargic feeling to the point I almost pass out sleeping. I do everything I can to avoid this.

2 days ago now before leaving for the store/to run errands before dinner time, I ate some graham crackers for the first time. I ate them slowly and I didn't notice any immediate negative symptoms but hours later I couldn't stay awake. My heart rate was okay but I could not stay awake! I was passing in and out of a state of sleep and wakefulness. Looking back, I don't think I was falling asleep. It wasn't like going to sleep. It was like one minute I was forcing my eyes open and then no awareness until my eyes opened again and time had passed. Prior to this I felt waves of nausea and headache briefly enough to tell my BF I didn't feel well and to move to the couch to lay down right before I lost awareness. I felt very very odd, but it came on suddenly and swiftly and we were just starting to watch a movie. Thank god the kids were already in bed for the night and I was at home.

In hindsight I think I just was so excited to tolerate the crackers I probably overdid it there. I had some peanut butter for protein and thought I would be okay as far as balancing out the carbs with protein...guess not? I think it was too many hours after eating to have been dumping but it was very very scary. My BF left and I felt so weak but I remember getting to the fridge and getting a cheese stick before falling asleep for good around midnight and then I was up around 4 and started my morning routine.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this?

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 276 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 323 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 342 views