Recent Posts

Kath L
on 9/1/17 8:10 am
Topic: RE: no longer using my sleep machine

I have a CPAP. Just get used to it. Persevere. It's the only way. Make sure it's adjusted right and it's not the leaking air that is waking you up. You will feel better than you have ever felt if you just persevere and be determined to use it. I know this as a fac****ch some TV or read a book to unwind while you fall asleep. There should also be an adjustment on there that "ramps" up the pressure so that it doesn't start full blast. That helped me when I started. Now, it's second nature. I would never again sleep without it.

Kjnelson
on 7/27/17 12:24 am - AK
VSG on 10/11/17
Topic: RE: Anyone have to go between a nose and face mask?

I have been on my Cpap machine for a little over 4 years. I don't sleep well without it. I started out using the nose piece style. It seemed okay. It took a few months before I was truly comfortable. Problem though is any time you have a cold/congestion then you can't breath. Plus I became a mouth breather and this is not good if you have a nose piece. I switched to the full face mask about 4 months ago. I love it. Even if I have a stuffy nose I can breath because I can open my mouth to breathe. No matter what style you get, make sure it is fitted correctly. It may take time to adjust. I also woke before it was time and took my mask off because I felt I could not breathe when I started. That feeling went away after a couple months. Good luck. Don't give up on trying.

HW: 285. SW: 269. CW: 225

VSG on 10/11/2017

Not going to quit on myself.

cabin111
on 7/6/17 10:54 am
Topic: Dropped the mask and am using the mouthpiece...

Yeah, did the whole thing...Sleep study (mild sleep apnea). Tried the mask...Just the nose pieces. That still didn't work...I felt I was suffocating. So I went back and got a referral to a dentist to try the mouth piece. I use it about 1/3 of the time...Trying to remember to put it in. When I have it in I have a hard time getting to sleep. I usually sleep on my stomach with one leg up (without the mouth piece). But I can't sleep that way with the mouth piece...My drool drains out my mouth, so I wake up 1/2 asleep. It is hard to sleep on my back...Just doesn't feel right with the mouth piece in there. Last night I finally found a position that works for "me"...You may be different. Everyone is different in their situations.

I will sleep in a posture where I am 1/2 way between my side and back. I turn about 45 degrees to my side. I then adjust my legs to a comfortable position. I think I have only slept in this position once with my mouth piece in. I think it puts less pressure on my stomach (the jelly rolls (fat on my sides) have less pressure).

I have also lost some weigh in the last few weeks (over 10 years out). I am exercising and eating better. I've gone below 200 pounds last night...It may help with the apnea. I have insomnia and am weaning off of a lot of sleep meds...It's been hard. I've had 2 heart attacks over the years, so I need to watch my apnea and sleep a lot. Just sharing my journey. Brian

verobell
on 5/14/17 3:23 pm
Topic: Sleep apnea, edema (is that spelled right?) and plantar fasciitis... oh my!

So, my previous GP thought I had sleep apnea because I definitely had plantar fasciitis. She believes that my plantar fasciitis has been aggravated by an edema in the area of my calves which was caused by fluid retention due to lack of oxygen during sleep.

So, I had a sleep study and have been diagnosed with mild sleep apnea.

Is anyone familiar with this and what has been your experience with this?

dJenn
on 4/16/17 8:02 am
Topic: Another resource for Sleep Apnea

There is a good, non-commercial, sleep apnea forum at http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/index.php which you might find helpful.

There methods of selecting and adjusting the masks, machine recommendations, and more.

Depending on the machine, there is some free software (SleepyHead) you can download which will show you detailed reports of how you sleep at night.

dJenn
on 4/16/17 8:00 am

There is a good, non-commercial, sleep apnea forum at http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/index.php which you might find helpful.

There methods of selecting and adjusting the masks, machine recommendations, and more.

Depending on the machine, there is some free software you can download which will show you detailed reports of how you sleep at night.

unagordita
on 4/14/17 8:40 pm
Topic: RE: What type of mask to you wear/like

I have the same one and I don't like it

unagordita
on 4/14/17 8:30 pm

During the sleep study I got the nose mask, I was glad to have finished the course since the sides of the mask by the nose were giving me an allergic reaction, I got tiny pimples. Now I have one that goes into my nostrils no mask, this one is horrible I feel like I can't breathe and during the early morning I wake up and take it off. I also feel rather sluggish during the day. I haven't used it for 6 days now. I need to go in and try a different type.

cc583
on 4/4/17 4:45 pm - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16

Maybe you just need a different mask or head harness. It took me 3 different types of masks before I was comfortable. I ended using the nose pillows. It's 2 soft rubbery/ flexible thingies. Here's a link if you want to check it what looks like https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed-mirage-swift-lt-repl acement-pillow-sleeve.html?gclid=COfU8oT8i9MCFU9WDQodEyIOdw . My dr. did tell me I would have better results with nose mask or full face mask but I hated it so he agreed to let me use this. I have had great results!

I wish you the best of luck! It is very dangerous not to use it and it could lead to stroke. Every time you have an episode of not breathing you're depriving your brain of oxygen!

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

HonestOmnivore
on 3/17/17 11:53 am
RNY on 03/29/17

Give yourself a timeline - wear it every single night for two weeks then after that if you don't feel like it's helping go back to the sleep doctor :)

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

Most Active