Recent Posts

Renee C.
on 2/11/17 7:41 pm - Bellevue, WA
Revision on 02/01/17
Topic: RE: Aerophagia and Gastric bypass

Ohh,  I hate this feeling.  The stomach full of air, ugh.  I could not use my CPAP at all after surgery for a couple of days.  My setting is on 24 and after surgery it felt like trying to breathe in a hurricane.  Not a chance.  They had me on oxygen and I slept with my head elevated and seemed to do OK.

Now at home I'm able to use it but it's still too high; I need to make an appt for a followup sleep study. And it scares me too, the thought  of all that air in my newly cut little stomach.  Dang did I have some awfully painful gas.  I'm on a steady stream of GasX (max per day) now to help calm it.

Something to ask my surgeon once he's back from vacation.

Looking forward to other people's replies.

Band removal & RNY Feb 1 2017

Myhushpuppy
on 2/4/17 11:30 am
Topic: Aerophagia and Gastric bypass

I've been working through all the requirements for gastric bypass since 9/ 2016. I've used a CPAP for the past 6 years now. About 2 years ago I started having trouble with burping and feeling too much air in my stomach when I wake up in the morning. My doctor repeated my sleep study and said that my numbers have not really changed but he put me on an auto titrate setting instead. He said I also had the option of going to a mouth  unit instead of a CPAP machine . Using titrate setting has helped but I still find that sometimes I wake up feeling very bloated and full of air and sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night burping. I'm concerned with whether this is going to be harmful right after surgery. Has anyone gone through this?

kraz
on 2/2/17 6:28 pm
Topic: WHY IS IT IMPORTANT FOR MY ANESTHESIOLOGIST TO KNOW IF I SUFFER FROM OBSTRUCTIVE SLEEP APNEA?

'Going under' and 'staying under' general anesthesia requires a combination of medications. Most of them can still affect your breathing even after you have 'woken up' after your surgery. Someone with obstructive sleep apnea is at risk for serious cardiovascular events and breathing problems after waking up from general anesthesia. The overall risk of a significant event depends on the severity of your sleep apnea. This is the reason that testing for sleep apnea prior to surgery is of significant importance.

click here to read more

Talkingmountain
on 1/24/17 10:03 pm
RNY on 12/28/15
Topic: RE: No longer apneic?

It very likely is.  A few of months after my RNY, the same thing was happening to me. Turned the pressure down a little bit each night until the problem went away.  (And now I don't even have to use the Capp any more! :) )

Ht 5'6" | HW 278 | SW 264, Size 28+/4-5X | GW 135ish, Size 10-12 | CW 132, Size 8-10
Surg Date 12/28/15 | NSV Goal: Go down slide w/kid! 

CalliopeAnn
on 1/17/17 1:33 pm
VSG on 12/21/16
Topic: RE: When does a wls patient get off the cpap?

I got my CPAP at 403lbs and my doctor didn't even mention my weight. He looked in my throat and told me it looked really narrow and that he wasn't surprised I had such a severe case (its outrageously severe, had 110 apneas in one hour!). I actually don't mind my CPAP at all. Its been such an incredible life improvement for me traded for relatively little inconvenience. I may end up needing it even when I get down to my goal (5 weeks out from VSG now). If I can get rid of it, that would be cool, but I'm not going to be super bummed if I still need it.

CalliopeAnn
on 1/17/17 1:28 pm
VSG on 12/21/16
Topic: RE: Anyone have to go between a nose and face mask?

I had the same issue with the nasal pillow mask, and I ended up just needing the pressure turned up a little. Straightened things out right away and its been great since!

Fredbear
on 1/17/17 10:28 am
VSG on 11/29/16
Topic: No longer apneic?

Hi folks, 

I've used a CPAP since 2000, and have never had any issues with it. Since my VSG in November my other half says I now have been opening my mouth during the night, which has never previously been a problem. (I believe it, since I keep waking up with dry mouth)

I'm about 30# lighter than I ever have been while using a CPAP... is it simply that my pressure is now too high? I'd really like to avoid being forced into more sleep studies if possible.  :-p

Thoughts?

Grim_Traveller
on 12/12/16 4:31 pm
RNY on 08/21/12
Topic: RE: The king is in

Just checking to see how the king was doing.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

MTS31801
on 11/29/16 6:12 pm
Topic: RE: Anyone have to go between a nose and face mask?

I am on a Bi-Pap machine with full face mask! It's very comfortable (ResMed Quatro). I just had my yearly pulmonary visit today and my doctor gave me an A++. Said that I was exceeding his expectations! He was also very happy to hear that I am going up for Bariatric surgery in the spring! My advise is to talk to your Pulmonary doctor, tell him the problems your having and ask to try different masks. Eventually you will find one that is suitable for you. I love my Bi-Pap machine, I can't sleep without it. I no longer wake up four times a night because my body is craving oxygen. Talk to your doctor! These machines DO MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE.

Terri70
on 11/10/16 12:04 pm
Topic: Follow-up visit with Pulmonologist

Went to my follow-up appt with the pulmonologist about the 2nd sleep study. He is putting me on an Auto-pap. He said he would not clear me until I've been on it for 90 days and I have to follow the 90/70 rule. I have to use it at least 90% of the time and 70% of the time I have to do it for at least 4 hours. This sounds hard. Is it going to be? Also, does anyone here have experience with an Auto-pap?

Most Active