Balance bars

nanarama
on 9/24/12 3:06 am - PA
VSG on 07/09/12
I had my almost 3-month follow up on Friday with surgeon and nutritionist.  I mentioned to nutritionist that I had just started introducing Quest bars into my plan.  I really don't want to go back to bars too much (trigger-type food for me), but I do want to have some handy for those days when I need a little boost.  Plus, I'm going on vacation next week and will be bringing some along to augment my restaurant options.

Anyway, he said to me, well, you can get Balance Bars and they're cheaper and easier to come by.  I came home and looked them up and was really surprised by his comment considering I personally don't find they give enough bang for my buck.  Meaning they're a little too high in calories for the amount of protein.  This is obviously just my own personal opinion.

Today I was at the drug store and they were BOGO.  So I just grabbed two just so I could say I did.  LOL  I had a half today for lunch.

Here's my problem -- and again, if you love them and use them, great for you.  But that bar was just a little too tasty and yummy.  More like a candy bar.   I will not be buying them again.  Wayyyyy too dangerous for me.

My point really is that I was surprised how much my nutritiionist was recommending these when there seem to be better choices out there.  Buyer beware, I guess, right???  

Feb 2012:  270
                   Day of surgery:  250.5

rhearob
on 9/24/12 3:35 am, edited 9/24/12 3:35 am - TN

Quest bars are the only bars I like now if I am going to buy a bar.  NuGo Smarte Carb bars also had more protein than average but they are even harder to come by than Quest Bars.

Blance, Atkins, etc.  All too high in calories and too low in protein.  If I am going to eat that many calories it had better have over 10g of protein.  Many of the ones like balance only have 6 or 7.  What a waste.

I make protein bars hat home now.  My recipes are posted on here.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

nanarama
on 9/24/12 5:17 am - PA
VSG on 07/09/12
Yes, I have some of your bar recipes bookmarked! 

Feb 2012:  270
                   Day of surgery:  250.5

acbbrown
on 9/24/12 3:42 am - Granada Hills, CA
Balance bars - in the overall world of bars - are glorified candy bars with a little extra protein. Soo low compared to the overall calorie content. I eat them when I shouldn't...but in general when I actually intend to include a bar in my plan I only pick the ones with at least a 10:1 ration (for every 10 calories, 1 gram of protein)  So pure protein works (usualy 180 al, 20g of protein) or Premier Nutrition (270 cal, 30 g of protein). Keeps me away from high sugar/carb based bars (even though all bars have some carbs/sugars, i need the higher protein)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Feystorm
on 9/24/12 3:43 am - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 I feel the same way about most other non-protein but "nutrition" bars - taste too much like candy.  And the protein bars used to taste like crap (pre-microwave discovery).  I stick to quest bars when I need one for on the go.  Been experimenting with other options as well, like the homemade protein muffins. 

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

louisamay
on 9/24/12 4:32 am
VSG on 04/27/12
There is one Balance Bar I really love--Peanut Butter--and you're right, they are more like candy.  I started using them many years ago when I was on the Zone Diet, which was all about having a balance of fat, carb and protein to keep your insulin levels steady all day. 

I still keep them on hand because I like them, and occasionally crave one.  Fortunately they haven' triggered me to do more than eat one--or often, only half of one with coffee.

I always work them into my daily goals, which haven't involved limiting carbs as much a****ting a protein target w/o going over a calorie target.

I know why most people here wouldn't want to use them, but for me they are something I've used well for years without triggers and occasionally just hit the spot!

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

Jarisaunt
on 9/24/12 5:57 am - CA
VSG on 08/21/12
Yogurt peanut Balance Bars taste so good. I ate them pre-op, and went to check labels on them again post-op but ran out of the store screaming (well, not really). They are high in carbs and calories and don't give a lot of protein. I'd steer clear of them.

I eat the pure protein bars-- 20g protein, 200cals, 6 carbs.

Height: 5'5"  2 wks pre-op: -15  M1: -20  M2: -18  M3: -12  M4: -13  M5: -8 M6: -10 M7: -2 M8: -10 M9: -4 M10: 0 M11: -3 M12: -3 M13: -14 Start Wt:290 SurgWt:275 (BMI 46) Current Wt:145 (BMI 24) Goal:140 (BMI 23.3)

Most Active