Possible Fibro and running questions - XPost

Feystorm
on 11/17/12 10:50 am - CA
VSG on 03/14/12

It seems more and more like my doctor is going to come back with a diagnosis of a fibromyalgia in regards to all my years long medical problems.  It seems like it is becoming more of a distinct possibility.    Previously my doctor had thought that it was pinched nerves in my back (one of my last many diagnosis) and said I couldn't run. :(

I have been looking forward to getting into the couch to 5k program.  My good friend, Alison, is going to start the program when she is recovered from her plastics and released to exercise again. I have been really looking forward to doing this program with her.  

My question is this: if the diagnosis is really fibro - does anyone know if the running and exercise restrictions will remain?  I am doing all the research I can online, but haven't found where it is expressly restricted.  Any information on this question, or any insights into this diagnosis will be appreciated.  

Thanks everyone.

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

MILLERSDAUGHTER
on 11/17/12 11:07 am - Lewisport, KY
VSG on 04/07/11 with

i have had fibro for many years.  I've done Zumba, hiking, kyaking, walking and tried to get into running since my weightloss surgery.  Fibro's effects are highly individualized.  If you do have fibro, you should be able to run.  However, you might find that you will need a longer recovery time after working out/running because your muscles will not bounce back like a normal person's.  You may have to limit your distance and the days that you run and your progress may seem too slow to suit yourself.  However, just listen to your body, take it slow and be patient.

The fatigue part of fibro is just as hard to deal with as the pain.  I get so frustrated that I can't push myself like some people. Slow and steady works best with adequate recovery days between work outs.  I could never do a Biggest Loser type work out or a boot camp, kick-your-ass-til-you-are-crawling-on-all-fours type thing cause it would take so long to recover and the pain afterwards would be awful.

Just remember to be kind to your body and try to be patient with yourself.

I have also found that eating clean, staying well hydrated, getting enough sleep and taking my meds regularly make all the difference.

Never, never, never give up!
...though she be but little, she is FIERCE...
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Feystorm
on 11/17/12 11:10 am - CA
VSG on 03/14/12

Thank you for all the information and for letting me know that running might still be possible for me.  

Honestly, I am having very mixed feelings about this - on one hand, I am terrified of this diagnosis.  Yet on the other, after more than five years of varying diagnosis, it will be nice to just have a name to know what it is. 

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

TSinNC
on 11/17/12 11:20 am
VSG on 08/16/12

I have absolutely no info about this, but wanted to say that I hope you get a clear diagnosis and are able to move forward soon. It must be frustrating to be in pain so often with no concrete diagnosis. Thinking of you, and hoping you'll be able to do C25K!

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

Feystorm
on 11/17/12 12:20 pm - CA
VSG on 03/14/12

Thanks!  I am thinking of just giving it a go.  :(

acbbrown
on 11/17/12 12:11 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Awwww I love you!!!!  I hope you will get some answers and get a good doc.  I had that stupid bbariatric doctor tell me I couldn't do any serious or extended exercise. Too bad I did it anyways and lived to tell about it. If one doc says no and doesn't have a damn good reason, get a 2nd opinion if you can. 

Bacj to bed I go!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Feystorm
on 11/17/12 12:21 pm - CA
VSG on 03/14/12

Considering the bill those jerks just sent me for the one visit, and the fact that it all starts all over again next month, I am not sure if I can afford a second opinion.  lol

I am debating whether or not to just start the program.  I know that I will be far behind your skills you sexy skinny *****!  I love you and can't wait for you to come home!

Hislady
on 11/17/12 2:20 pm - Vancouver, WA

Actually exercise is excellent for fibro sufferers most of us are in so much pain we tend not to do it or very little of it. If you can run and not cause pain more power to you. There is also a fibro forum here on OH where we try to support each other altho the forum tends to be pretty slow these days. Do get on the internet tho and read all you can on it, it is a frustrating disease and everyone is different so it's hard to diagnose. Unfortunately many docs just use it as a catchall for when they can't come up with a reason for whatever ails you!

Feystorm
on 11/18/12 2:33 am - CA
VSG on 03/14/12

I am glad to hear that exercise is good for fibro - I have been on restriction since prior to surgery and feel like I am missing out quite a bit.  I want to change my lifestyle completely, but have been feeling held back.  

skyjem
on 11/18/12 3:34 am - Canada

Everyone has different issues and limitations with their fibro. For myself I can't do any extreme or hard-core exercise. I'll pay for days with even more fatigue& pain. Sometimes to the point where I can't get out of bed without help. Gentle exercise in short sessions works best for me. Yoga, pilates, walking, occasional biking. That works best for me.

If you can run go for it. I wish I could run again but with fibro & arthritis, it's not happening. You may have to shorten or runs or alternate between walking and running. Or maybe run one day, swim another. You basically have to test yourself and find out what works best for your body.

Good luck!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views