Sugar Free?

Jennifer L.
on 6/16/13 5:10 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

Yes I have a weight problem. Yes I still eat processed crap that I shouldn't. However, I am a fan of at least trying to avoid as much "fake" food as I can... or at least that is my goal. I notice many people talk about sugar free foods... sugar free pudding... sugar free jello.. sugar free drinks... sugar free everything (I think I read sugar free protien drinks at one point?)

I am not a fan of the fake sugars. Is there anyway around sugar free? I guess I could always wait until the weight loss faze is over? I don't know... can anyone relate?

The closer I get to my surgery date (and need to begin my pre-surgery diet) this stuff is running in my head. 

Once my weight is figured out, ideally, I would like to begin getting the fake foods out of my families diets. 

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

acbbrown
on 6/16/13 5:15 am - Granada Hills, CA

I used tons of fake sugar through my WL - it was a crutch really, but it made WL much easier. Now that im 2 years out, im trying to cut out the processed food and artificial sugars but at least for me, it was one battle at a time. There was no way I could have adjusted to post op life if I had hit the ground running with a  "no fake sugar/no processed food" rule. It would have just been too much for me. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

ParisGirl
on 6/16/13 5:20 am
VSG on 04/25/13
The only 'fake sugar' I consume is in my protein shakes. I can't do aspartame so I avoid it like the plague. I suppose it's not impossible, but would be difficult to completely avoid it if you need to supplement with shakes to meet your requirements. I'm 7 weeks out and do 1 1/2 shakes a day. I can't eat enough to meet my requirements. My sleeve is pretty strict with no more than 2 oz of dense protein per meal.

linzeelee
on 6/16/13 5:23 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13
I had given up fake sugars prior to surgery, so this was a concern of mine. I tried some protein shakes sweetened with stevia and didnt care for them. So I resigned myself to the fact that I'd have to consume sucralose post op in order to get my protein in. I avoid aspartame since it makes me feel sick.

Besides protein shakes, I dont consume many SF things. I have Sf popsicles and Propel water additive. I hope to be back to avoiding all the fake stuff someday.

Avoiding fake sugar can be done...it's just not very easy.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

justpete
on 6/16/13 5:26 am
VSG on 04/02/13

the thing about trying to avoid SF stuff is that you would end up eating a lot of real sugar.  a few times a day, here and there, and you could easily be consuming 100-200 calories just from sugar and consuming a ton of carbs.  may not seem to be a lot, but thats like consuming a meals worth of calories, and getting absolutely no protein, fiber or nutrients from it.

you can try to limit it for sure.  maybe find some protein drinks with stevia etc.  people usually find that more agreeable

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

frisco
on 6/16/13 5:35 am

For most......

It's much much more important to avoid real sugars in general than consume fake sugars. (remember, fruit is a delivery system for sugar)

Lose the weight first...... than in maintenance you find your tolerances.....

Best case is to get off of "sweet" or greatly reduce it to condiment level. 

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

pineview01
on 6/16/13 5:47 am - Davison, MI

Syntrax make a "natural" with stevia.  I bought the peach and didn't care for it.  I bought the big jar.  I have come to like all the other flavors I bought after the first month from surgery.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

cappy11448
on 6/16/13 5:58 am

My stomach wouldn't tolerate sweet drinks after surgery, so I used chicken broth with protein powder.  It worked much better for me, and it is free of sweeteners.

Good luck with your weight loss journey.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Jennifer L.
on 6/16/13 6:15 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

Thanks guys. I was just thinking that SF might just need to be something I do while in weight loss. It will be a hard adjustment since I have tried to avoid fake sugars but it will be worth it I am sure! Thanks for your input guys! 

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

SuzyNZ
on 6/16/13 3:40 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
I live in New Zealand and we just don't have sugar free everything like the products available in the USA, so I simply don't have the choice.

I havent had a single sugar free product in my 9 month journey and have lost 170lbs. That said, I'm more a savoury person rather than a sweet anyway, so not a huge call for sugar except in sauces, which I have such little amounts of, I honestly couldn't give a flying toss that its real sugar.

I count total calories, so as long as it works within my daily calorie number, it's fine.

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)