8 Foods That Help To Reduce AnxietySeptember 10, 2013
If you are experiencing anxiety or stress, making wrong foods choices can actually worsen your symptoms. But the good news is that there are many foods that can play an important role in helping to calm your body and support your emotions. Here are 8 foods that help to alleviate or improve symptoms of anxiety:
1. Asparagus. This vegetable helps to increase your levels of folic acid and since depression has been linked to low levels of folic acid, incorporating asparagus into your diet is a win-win!
2. Almonds. The tasty almond nut is filled with vitamins E and B2 which both help to boost your immune system and are helpful to your body in stressful times. Almonds also contain zinc which is an important mood balancing nutrient.
3. Salmon. Omega-3 fatty acids help to control your adrenaline and cortisol levels and salmon is rich in omega-3! Studies show that a diet that includes lots of omega-3 can reduce the effects of stress and anxiety by up to 20 percent.
4. Turkey. This favorite holiday dish contains the amino acid tryptophan which helps to signal your brain to release serotonin. Serotonin influences most all of our brain cells (about 40 million!) and helps to calm your body and even make you tired.
Anxiety disorder symptoms can include: shortness of breath, heart palpitations, high blood pressure, shaking, confusion, fatigue, irritability, muscle tension, difficulty sleeping, and more.
5. Celery. Studies have shown that consuming four stalks of celery a day can lower your raised blood pressure numbers. Like turkey, celery also contains tryptophan.
6. Green Tea. This popular tea contains the amino acid theanine. Theanine helps to promote healthy sleep and is known to reduce anxiety during those stressful moments.
7. Dark chocolate. Believe it or not, there are some great benefits to eating dark chocolate! Studies have shown that those who eat dark chocolate on a regular basis have lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol.
8. Swiss chard. Green, leafy vegetables like swiss chard have plenty of a natural magnesium. This mineral helps to calm those stressed out nerves and helps to relax your muscles.